Selfish Drummers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fat-bottom, Jun 15, 2001.

1. I didn't do a search on this, but I was looking at the "tinnitis" threads and had to vent my spleen.

Drummers, if you hear me why is the hell do you lack to basic ablilty to play your instrument well at low volumes? Of you are a jazz drummer, you probably are beyond this.

I've had good drummers tell me this:

"The only way my drums sound good is if I really pound 'em"

"I play my best when I'm lettin' go and playin' with no restraint"

This is why I hate most drummers, that along with speeding up, dragging, showing off, crappy tone, weak foot, hitting symbols at every rest, filling every open break, failing to understand a backbeat.....etc........
  2. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    oh man, i know how you feel ! our drummer fulfills all those criteras but adds another one to the list - he can't keep proper time. if you listen to any of our stuff, it wouldn't take you long to notice that he treats every song as if it's one long drum solo :oops: i guess, seeing as he's coming from a background in lead guitar work, he's still not used to being out of the spotlight and behind a kit, so this is to be expected. because of his lack of volume control, we have now lost a potential practice space at school :( still, these nuances can be re-directed into positives if you're very tactful but direct ... he also tends to overdose on cymbal use and overly complex beats (which he can't play in time with the rest of us anyway!!!) because he complains that what he's doing is "too easy". our drum tech has noted that, "it's not easy, because he can't even play the basics yet - look at how bad his timing messes up your bass." i swear, trying to lock or get a bead on what an inexperienced or ignorant drummer is doing is a nightmare ...
  3. We don't like some of the drummers we play with, so what can we do?

I guess hang out where good bands play and try to steel a good one.

The last thing is to attempt to engage them in constructive dialogue. Believe me, they can't tolerate it!!! I guess it's human nature, but next time you feel a need for some exercise, ask your drummer why he plays too loud!!!!!!
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    this isn't meant to be filp, but why is he still your drummer? I mean, jeez, drummers and guitar players are a dime a dozen.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm with is too short for bad drummers.

I'm a lucky man, I get to work with an incredible and talented drummer, AND a timbale player that's even better, AND a conga player that's just as good as the other two. Time and taste are never an issue with any of them, nor is volume (well...the timbale player sometimes gets a bit carried away.....;) ), matter of fact, I'm usually the one being told to turn down! :eek: :(

....the bass is too loud?? How is THAT possible??? ;)

(Now our guitarist, THAT'S loud!!! OUCH!!!! :eek: )
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Loud music did not cause my tinnitus it just makes it worse. Since I have worn ear plugs my drummer plays louder and sounds better. He is an awesome drummer and a good mate and also always has a good supply of earplugs to borrow (more like give he doesnt want em back).
  7. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Aside from my ears ;) this stuff rings so true. There must be a psychology, a "drummer mentality". It is frustrating, to say the least.
    - Mike
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why does this always seem to be the case? I dealt with the exact same thing a few years ago. If you're any good at what you're doing, people will notice without you having to show off.

My guitarist has this attitude. He once told me that the guitar solo in The Kingsmen's version of "Louie, Louie" was too easy -- he wanted to play a "Pantera-style solo" in there. I told him, "If you can nail that solo (both the proper notes and the proper tone), you can then do whatever you want in there." He couldn't do it and his "Pantera solo" sounds like ass.
  9. Well, lets see, one reason is because drums are loud. I'm a drummer also, but i'm able to control my volume levels and keep good tempos. Tell your loud drummer he should try some smaller tipped sticks if you want him to play softer, if this doesn't help then he's just a bad drummer. Us good drummers who actually have talent are able to play any dynamic in any style of music.
  10. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    there are two reasons we haven't dropped him from our band, pacman -
    1) he's my best friend. with a band like ours, only people you know well and can mess around with will do.
    2) he has great potential, all he needs to do is get some guidance and recognize his role as the leader of the rhythm section.

no need to be so ruthless about the whole thing, man ... :p give people a chance, yannow ?