Sell an Eden for an Avatar... is this crazy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatrhino, Dec 23, 2002.

1. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Ok, well I have two Eden 115xlt cabs. I'm not too impressed with these. They sound decent but I liked my MesaBoogie 215 a whole lot better (shouldn't have sold it). Well these 15's are just not cutting it. They start to fart out at more "agressive" volumes. They don't even push as much air as my Mesa. So i'm thinking I should sell one of the 15's and buy an Avatar B410. I think that 10's will really help and give a much fuller sound when added to the Eden 15. I cannot afford an Eden 410 and with all the gigs I have lined up I can't really save up while my 15's are crapping out on me. The Avatars seem to be respected here and if I sell one of my Eden 15's then I could pick up the 410 pretty quick. Any thoughts?

I've actually bought a replacement speaker from Avatar when one of my Eden's blew. The cab was brand new and the speaker blew within days. Eden said it was my fault and said my warrenty was void... damn Edens.
  2. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    the good thing about avatar is that you can knock them over at the end of every show, and since they're cheap you can just buy new ones every week... personally i like to soak my cabs in gasoline and burn them... its a real crowd-pleaser!
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Now that's funny!!!! :p :D
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good move. Wish I could sell my last two remaining Eden cabs locally. D115XL and D215XLT. Eden cabs don't cut it for me, either.
  5. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    That sounds pretty good to me. If you don't like the cab...I'd definately sell it and buy an avatar. I'm very surprised with their gear. Its made very well and sounds great.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Never been impressed with Eden 15's. Their tens, however, are fantastic.

If you're really into 15's and liked Mesa, get another Mesa. Avatars are fine, are "good" but are only "excellent" at the price point. If you are willing and able to spend much more, you WILL get better frequency response, but again, at a price.

I suggest that you try some 12's to make sure you aren't missing something that you don't even know you are looking for.
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    That's what I was thinking.
  8. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Part of your problem might be replacing an eden speaker with an eminence.
  9. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Well I tested each cabinet by itself and the Eden actually farts out sooner. I think the eminence sounds better then the Eden. It even sounds louder at the same volume settings for some reason.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm not impressed with their tens, either. The D410XLT, despite it's general reputation and widespread usage, is pretty much a very inaccurate, artificial sounding cab. One of the most over-rated rigs in bassdom is the WT800 mono-bridged into a D410XLT. Been there, done that. Not good. And while the D210XLT is not bad it's not even in the class with the better 210's out there today. Some claim the XST's are better. I'll pass.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The problem isn't that they're Edens. It's that they're 15's.
  12. Deja vu!
  13. It's not about the name on the cabinet; it's the sound that comes out of it. I've used what most people in my neck of the woods consider to be crap for years, yet I rarely play a show where less than three people offer to buy my rig, no matter which one I'm using. Storal of the morey ( props to Dumbo) : Use what works for YOU.

(Warning: old geezer rant to follow) BTW, on that note, I owe the bass player from the Vines one SERIOUS ass-whipping. Saw them on that lame-o MTV concert show and they sucked beyond belief. The bass player's Jazz is identical to mine except he didn't have my Coop Devil Cheerleader on his. He made my bass look bad on national television. If that's the modern definition of talent, I'll gladly settle for musicianship and mediocrity.(Geezer rant off)

What exactly does that have to do with the price of eggs in China or this thread, you may ask? I know what I like and it's not dictated by what everyone else says is "cool." Eden is a good brand (at least it was) but that doesn't mean they make the best of everything. If the Avatar gets you closer to your ideal sound, use it.
  14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    You seem to really dislike Eden. You take a jab at them every chance you get. I have no problem with that at all. But I would bet you a large sum of money that when you got your first Eden rig you thought it was the best thing you've ever heard. That's why you bought more. It's also ok that you feel that Epi's or Berg's (whichever you play) is way better than Eden. I bet in 5 years when the next big thing comes out, you'll abandon your current rig and then will say how bad IT was. That will be ok too.
  15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    these are fun;)
  16. BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    ..don't do it....sell your 15s and get Eden 10s...

merry merry

17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As you travel up the bass "food chain," (if you ever do) you may also discover an increase in quality. Good luck.
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Got to go with Boogie on this... when you hear something "better" why be satisfied with the status quo?

I used to have a pair of D210XLT's. Nice cabs but then I heard something I liked more, my EA VL110's. The only issue I had with them was the amount of power I needed to push them meant I couldn't use my favorite amp. Enter Joey Nahas + Bag End... now I have tone, volume, efficiency and portability. In retrospect some of my former cabs do come up short (I still like the EA's).

Does that mean I'll never hear anything better? Anything's possible;)
  20. BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    ..thought it was Eden v Avatar? comparison, no matter what cab..