1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sell Geddy Lee and buy Ibanez SR500 or 700: crazy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parksung, Dec 21, 2011.

1. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    My Geddy Lee is a beast to play because it's so huge. I'm 5'2", petite and have small hands. The body is the same size as my entire upper body! It's physically massive for me, weight and shape-wise.

Before I sell my Geddy Lee (which is a far nicer bass than my level at the moment), is there any reason why this would be a mistake? I know it's a solid bass compared to the Mexican made ones, but all in all the size isn't working for me. Silly reason to sell? I don't think so unless you know more than I.

I'm looking at Ibanez SRs since they're smaller bodies, nice slim necks and feel better when I put it on. I've read all positive reviews on the 500s and above. At this point, I'm not playing out with anyone though hopefully that'll happen in the near future. Anything I need to know before I buy?

2. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    buy used if you go ibanez. they don't hold their value as well as fenders

3. Firesalt

Firesalt Is good enough. Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    If the bass is too big to be comfortable then sell it. I own a Geddy and it's not for everyone. I used to own a 80's Ibanez Roadstar 2 RB890 that I've regretted getting rid of ever since...
    But as the previous poster said: Buy used.
    Play as many as you can and buy what feels best to you.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Get what works for you, but why not keep the Geddy and try and get an Ibanez Gio or something cheap and small like that...

I'd bet in the long run, you'll regret flipping that Geddy and end up buying another Fender at some point.

FWIW, I have tiny hands, and I only play P basses.

5. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    I have a nice older ibanez.. small body slim neck etc.

I can sell you or trade towards your geddy. PM me if you like.

6. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    I went thru the exact same thing as you at about 6 months in of bass practice .....i went from a Sterling Ray to an American Jazz (lighter) to an SR 500. Traded the Jazz for a Martin acoustic.

played a SR 500 and 505 for about 6 months and went back to fullsize basses currently the ones in my signature.

I'm 5'4 but i'm NOT petite LOL ....i've been playing guitar for 25 years actively, have strong hands, so i decided to brave the fullsize bass more for the tonal aspect of a heavier bass ....i was not digging the pre amp in the 500 series ....i like passive electronics.

having said that is is very important to be comfortable playing...i think it's a good decision for you....the SR series are very comfy and playable...excellent value and i often miss the 505 but damn ....i miss the american jazz the most!

the Sr 700s look very good to me.

7. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Sell a Geddy for an Ibanez?
    I would never do it but I'm not small and I'm too much of Geddy to sell a bass I wanted and like so much.

8. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    If the size of the Geddy isn't working for you then find a good bass that will. There is nothing wrong about selling a bass because it doesn't fit your needs. Find what works for you and don't worry about selling the Geddy.

9. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    PMed.

10. Got to agree with this thread. I love my Lee for all that it can do but; I'm a 5'5" in great physical condition (bit of a health nut), and find that this thing kills my shoulder when played for extended periods. Its a shame to have to get rid of it but, you need to do whats right for you.

11. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Like the others have said, get what works for you and dont worry about it. There are plenty of Geddy's out there. If you decide you want one again at a later date, you can.

12. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    If you like the Ibanez better look for a Japanese made 800

13. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nothing wrong at all with the SR500's...mine was the pre-mid switch model and that was the only reason why I sold it. I sold mine on Craigslist but I got a good chunk of what it cost from the guy who bought it.

If you are petite, then they are amazingly comfy basses and will probably work well for you. All of my other basses were larger (Warwick, 2 Fenders, etc) so the smaller neck on the SR500 threw me off too much when I played my other stuff. If it's your main axe, should work just fine for ya.

14. happyg

happyg

Sep 17, 2011
    If you like Fenders.....take a look at the Mustang.

15. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I'm 6' and the GL feels big and heavy to me as well. I'm even thinking about swapping the body for a Warmoth "Dinky Jazz". Isn't it ironic that they coupled such a slim neck to such a big, heavy body?

It I was your size, I'd play an old Fender Musicmaster, but that's just a personal style and image preference.

If you know you like the look and feel of the Ibanez, the used MIJ SR 800's are a great value.

Heck, you could apply the price difference toward a new amp!

16. A GL is actually not that big for a Fender bass. Even the neck is the narrowest you could find. So yes, if you feel uncomfortable go with a used Ibanez SR or something similar. Very narrow necks. G&L Tribute SB-2s also have a very narrow neck, lightweight body but amazingly long neck.

17. bajocallao

bajocallao

Jul 13, 2006
    Woodside, New York
    Endorsing Artist: D'addario Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    "Silly reason to sell? I don't think so unless you know more than I."
    NOT AT ALL
    I love fenders but I think feeling comfortable should be the first thing you consider

18. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    SR800's aren't available in any shops near me (Vancouver, BC). Are body sizes the same across all SR models (ie. safe to assume it'll feel the same as a SR500 which I can find locally to try out)?

19. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    The bodies and necks are pretty much the same. I owned a SR600, then laster bought a 300fm and 505. The body on the 505 was a bit different but not much. Same sized just contoured differently.

20. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    That G&L looks great. For CAD600 not bad, but I wonder if it'll feel cheap. My Geddy Lee feels well built but the Mexican made jazzes feel cheap. I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise considering the cost difference. Any opinion on this?