Sell, Keep, MM, DJ5, Fender Jazz???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piedro, Mar 19, 2006.

What's better for me?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2006.
  1. Sell the Stingray 5, to buy right now the Lakand DJ5

12 vote(s)
  2. Keep the Stingray and wait like Hell to buy the DJ5

36 vote(s)
  3. Sell the Stingray, buy the DJ5, rebuy later the MM

9 vote(s)
  4. sell everything and buy a Banjo... ;)

29 vote(s)
  1. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    i'm waiting some calls for some big gigs.. and i've a Musicman and a Fender Jazz.. (the only problems with my jazz is that it is not 5 string ;) )
    and cause i prefer a lot my fender jazz to record...

so... Am i selling my MM to buy a Lakland DJ5 to have a better go-with-everything tone or

i'm keeping it and wait like hell to buy a Dj5 and have 3 great bass that i'll be able to choose different tone in different situation

or selling my MM, buy a DJ5 and buy another MM sometimes later...
  2. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I'd say depending on your finances,i would prolly get the
    DJ 5 and sell the MM;you can always pickup a MM!!
    have you tried the DJ 5? is there a Lakland dealer in Montreal?
    I've played fenders for 30+ yrs but now it's strickly Laklands.

go for it:bassist:
  3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    This is one of those threads that, IMHO, has no business being a poll. It's your call. You already have a jazz that you like. If you HAVE to have a low B on the jazz, try getting a new nut cut and string it up BEAD.

If you can't cut the gig with a Jazz and an SR5 in hand, is a DJ5 going to make THAT much of a difference? My 0.02--new gigs are stressful enough. Don't add the challenge of new gear on top of that.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Be aware, you probably just can't "buy" a DJ5, unless you find one used. This is Lakland's most popular model and there is at least a few months wait on a new one.
  5. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1. These type of things can't be answered by others. You have to decide for yourself. Take your time, think it through completely. Don't rush yourself into anything.

One thing to think about, however, is that that used MM basses are more widely available than Laklands, especially DJ5s.
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agreed...You will most likely have to wait to find one that is in the color/fretboard combination you want. I was lucky to find mine. There happens to be one available at our good buddies Brian Barrets "The Low End". Check it out

Not affiliated with them in any way, they just gave me great service when I bought my f-bass from them.

Also, I think that the DJ5 has a different tone than most fenders. To me it sounds better, but it doesn't sound like a 60's or 70's jazz bass. It's more "aggressive" sounding. THe 70's jazz sound more clanky to me, and the 60's sound super smooth. It can get to be both, but I just wouldn't put it in the fender sounding category. I would say it sounds better. I've converted many fender players to the Lakland camp. I've owned a MM stingray as well in the past, and played plenty during sessions or at music shops. I really love the sound of them as well. It just really depends what type of music you are playing. I will say Valenti can cover both tones really well. It can get that "aggressive" sounding jazz bass (close to it at least) and it can close to nail (and I mean really close) to getting the stingray sound.
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    +1000! Don't make life hard if you can avoid it. I thing the DJ5 is a great bass, but if you gonna get the gig, I don't think the SR5 is a bad thing to be "stuck" with. Wait it out. If the gig works out, you make enough money to get the DJ5 anyway:D
  8. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Wow.. you really improve my GAS on it.. :D

thanks guys for you answer
  9. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Yess, there's Italmélodie, on Jean-talon... but they are not cheap! i'll probably order it from Club bass in toronto.

I've tried the Dj4 and i felt in love with it.. the tone, the look.. and the 5 strings is gonna be 35, the passive tone, the aero and what a great reputation you guys made of this bass.. i really think it's for me.
  10. when you add something silly like get a banjo instead, you really skew the validity of your poll :rolleyes:
  11. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    didn't tought the popularity of this answerwould be so big ( a bit sad..)

so that's is a put a command on the Darryl Jones 5 strings, rosewood, passive, Black Sparkle ( i'll buy a tort guard to go with it... )

They said 3 months... for 1450 Can$ not a deal, not to much, i'm in the price... i think