1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sell me on your favorite bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lousybassplayer, Apr 11, 2009.

1. This has probably been done, but not recently. Lets pretend you are trying to sell me your favorite bass ever. PIcs aren't necessary, but lets face it, if I don't know you own it how can I be sure you knowwhat your talking about? :)

No, I am not actually in the market for anyone's bass. Besides, this shouldbe your baby, the bass you'd never ever ever sell anyway. Seeing as how you won't ever need to put an actual sales pitch together for such a bass, here is a chance to pretend.

To the powers that be, if this thread turns out to suck in a day or so, just smite it before it turns feral.

2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Sorry. Can't even pretend. Looks like nobody else can either.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    My favorite basses ever are eccentric, with unpopular features. They are perfect for me though. So I would never try to sell anyone on my fave basses, because they are not me, and my reasons for liking these basses are not common.

I guess I could sell someone on the concept of trying dozens of basses until you find the dimensions and qualities that push your individual buttons, because it took me dozens of basses to finally reach that point, and I'm happy I did.

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    It is probably a poor flotation device, but better than absolutely nothing.

5. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Ibanez K5,... I won't sell it on anyone but its just so me,... almost want another one to make fretless but think I should be ok getting the gary willis cos its similar

really small string spacing, ultra small neck, easy to play anywhere on the fretboard, pre amp with all the options I want on it and it can go from jazzy to death metally all with a few knob twists, I love it :)

heres a pic of me playing at my christmas concert (not very fitting but I was playing my own tribute version of pulling teeth/anesthesia hence the tallica tshirt!)

Attached Files:

6. anon65884001

anon65884001 Guest

Feb 1, 2009
    When i got my bass,
    I went, "note to self. I would rather starve and die than sell this and whomever get this a first scratch will so be cursed a lot by me"
    And on the first day, my dad get it a nice scratch with his watch and belt by 'accident' as he wanted to show me that he can play a c major :eyebrow: :rolleyes:
    Anyways, my grandpa bought me fender jazz 24 for $700, strap for $25, gig bag for $40 ish and an amp for $100 and he ain't rich
    He did it so that i would get something for my junior high grad because he knew that my parents don't give me a thing for xmas or for my bday. Plus, he too play a musical instrument, but he has not played it as much as he wanted to because he had to study
    Plus, even though my mum owe me at least $8000, i can't spend it on guitars (which includes bass guitar too!) :smug:
    So i thank him so much for giving me an opportunity to play a fender as a starting bass (which is not too common)
    Now that leads to "if i sell this bass, that is like killing my granpa twice!!!!! (he's not dead btw). it's immoral to sell my jbass!!! as long as i'm alive, i will not let it get hurt!! besides, it's probably the only thing i'll have left when he's gone!"
    And yeah, i can't imagine me selling it under any situations and i do mean ANY SITUATIONS, I WILL NOT LET GO OF THIS BASS
    That's my story :D

7. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Ibanez ATK

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The reason you should buy my 55-02 is the tone.

9. I like my Ibby SR405QM so much it's not for sale - go get your own :smug:

Pros:
    Ibanez Quality
    Narrow/thin neck with great fretwork - 45mm wide x 19.5mm thick at 1st
    Tight string spacing - 16.5mm
    Very wide variety of tones - 3-band active EQ - deep thunderous lows with bright sparkling highs & advanced "stylesweep" mid control
    Nice finish - no defects

Cons: :confused: None

10. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    My Fender Jaguar is the bees knees. It's nice enough to be proud of, but not expensive enough to worry about beating up. It has a huge amount of tonal options (active/passive, eq, series/parallel), and it looks pretty good with all the switches and metal on the front.

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I can't. I also can't be sold a bass. One local guitar store salesman finally figured that out. He said "I'll never sell you a bass, and I used to hate that. Then I realized I can help you FIND a bass, and if I do, you'll buy it and I'll get the commission. It's a different mindset from most customers, but I finally figured out you know what you want, and the best thing I can do for you is to pay attention to that." Too bad Tom moved on to wholesale....

Anyway, I can't sell you on my two favorite basses because I don't know squat about you, the way you play, and what's important to you. For me, a bass has to have a certain quality of unamplified sound. If the tone ain't in the wood, I don't have time or money to waste on a potentially fruitless search when there're plenty of other great sounding basses. After that it's gotta be comfortable- not perfect at all, but within a range of "playability" criteria that I can adapt to. Then it gets plugged into a very neutral amp.

But the real test is this. Does the bass say "Hi, honey- I'm home!" or not? If she does say that then I have to either find a way to get it, or resign myself to living without, because there ain't no such thing as "another one just like it".

These two DID say "Hi, honey- I'm home!" and are keepers in every sense of the word.

This one said "Hi, honey...." in April 1983
    2452469412_02fc5a254e.

And this one in February 1999...
    2738883050_c8399bc773_m.

jte

12. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Could not agree more on how great these basses are. They need more love from the public!

13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    OK. '98 Charles Cote Continuum. Made to order. Beautiful ash body in green stain, maple neck with birdseye/flamed maple fretboard, side position markers only, BA II bridge. I swapped out the Lindy Fralin pickups (shown) that had the bridge pickup overwound (was actually the prototype for the Aero MP181) for Nordstrands and also put in an Audere 3 band in. It feels like a pair of really comfortable, broken in jeans. It has incredible harmonics. It records beautifully. It is a custom bass, but its not so valuable or 'high end' that I would hesitate to take it on any gig, and its tradition jazz styling allows it to visually fit into virtually any style of music requiring electric bass. Cote has since gone out of business so it is pretty much irreplaceable.
    IMG_2054.
    IMG_2057.
    IMG_2045.
    IMG_2048.

14. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    DSCF0091.

08 Jazz (or a MIA jazz in general)

Goes from Jason Newstead, to Jaco, to JPJ, to Jeff Ament and back again.

Easy to play neck, classic look and finish, versatility, lightweight, easy to set up, responds well to different strings/amps and tried and true. You just cant go wrong. Also comes in a 5er and 6er if needed

15. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Let me introduce you to the Traben Array Obsession....

mybabiesinternet.

BRIDGE: Traben tribal flame sonic art bigger bridge
    SCALE: 34” four string and 35" five string
    CONSTRUCTION: Neck through five piece
    PICKUPS: Rockfield® (which are not availbale anywhere else)
    ELECTRONICS: 9 volt active
    CONTROLS: Three-band Aggie OBP-3 pre-amp eq with volume and blend and active/passive switch
    BODY: Royal paulownia
    TOP: Flame maple or Striped ebony
    FRETBOARD: Wenge with abalone inlay
    NUT: Synthetic

Traben employs a series of bridges which are called "SonicArt" or "Bigger Bridge." These unique bridges are quite large, and are usually made into some artistic form, as their names imply. Nearly all of the SonicArt bridges have a small tail design similar to an M at the bottom. The SonicArt bridges are made of solid brass plated with chrome. Due to their size, and many contact points as well as the added mass of the bridges they improve sustain and tone.

all this for less than $600.00 in a 5 string, and $500.00 in a 4 string and less than 10 pounds.....

the necks are fast articulate and comfortable....the Rockfield Pick-ups teamed with the three band pre-amp allow you to dial up any tone that you might be looking for. (I get a perfect Burpy Geddy tone very easily) does active and passive both with the flick of a switch...

If you have never heard of Royal Paulownia it is an awesome wood...It is a fine grained, very light, and warp resistant. Not to mention Paulownia is extremely fast growing; some species of plantation Paulownia can be harvested for saw timber in as little as five years. Once the trees are harvested, they regenerate from their existing root systems, earning them the name of the "Phoenix tree." Paulownia has the ability to reclaim ecologically stressed and degenerate patches of land relatively quickly. Its root systems run deep and penetrate compacted and contaminated soils which have resulted from industrialized development. Paulownia is a phyto-remediator, increasing the organic content of degraded soils, processing and filtering contaminants through the uptake of its vascular system, and emitting oxygen into the atmosphere. The bark is made into numerous types of dyes, and the leaves are used in vermicide preparations. So from an ecological (read green tree hugger) standpoint this wood cannot be beat! Tone wise it is very similar to Ash! It is also rot resistant and a has a very high ignition point.

Trabenback2.

i'll leave you with a rear shot....

16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Giggity.

17. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I'm guessing that is a positive reaction? So did i sell you?

18. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Heck, I'll play.

You don't want to buy this bass. It has gone through hell. It has been stored in basements, closets, and under a bed. It is all dinged up and scratched up, and looks like junk. It's an older bass - a 1997 Ibby SR300 - and completely stock. No upgrades. Only thing done to it is a set up and neck adjustment. ONE neck adjustment. The tone knobs are loose, it needs cleaned and polished, and there's a bit of rust on the bridge. I've put my own decor touch on the back of it.

Ibbyfront.

Ibbyback.

On second though, maybe you'd like to have a bass like this. It's only NEEDED one neck adjustment after all that abuse. It has never cracked. The neck has never twisted. Despite being old and a low end model, it has survived that abuse and I could still throw it against a wall and it won't lose tune. In fact, it tends to sound better than the more expensive basses I've collected (and gotten rid of) and has a wonderful tone. In short - the thing is a tank. It'll probably survive until there's nothing left but cockroaches and dust.

But I'll never sell it, even if I have a dozen more expensive and higher end basses. So you're out of luck.

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have over a dozen basses from 8 different manufacturers and I love them all! I don't think I can be of much help on this one...:confused::D