1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sell My '87 Stringray & Buy Old Smoothie?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Way back in 1987 I bought a Musicman Stringray; it was my go-to bass when I was putting myself through college playing country and small group jazz. As time passed, its bright tone lost favor with me, and its been nearly 10 years since I've gigged with it. I did try different strings (flats, ground-rounds, half-wounds) but to my ears, its not the same bass without round-wounds.

Fast-forward to Black Friday and I play an Old Smoothie at a well-known shop that is closing its doors. The bass is everything many of the reviewers on this page and Bass Player magazine says it is. The main attraction is its significantly mellower tone, but still with Stringray characteristics.

I don't want two Stringrays. Should I buy the Old Smoothie and sell the '87 Stringray, or pass and keep a 30-year-old bass that's a fantastic instrument albeit one I don't play?

Opinions Please!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Admiral Akbar likes this.
  2. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    If you're not playing it (and you're not, point proven over 10 years) it isn't doing you much good. This to me is a no-brainer, with no disrespect meant.

I say this as an owner of a 1986 Stingray that I will likely always have, so I certainly have no bias. I just know that needs/wants can change a lot over that amount of time.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    In all this time, if it was too bright, you could have just swapped to a mellower Bartolini pickup.

But if the Old Smoothie is a bass you see yourself playing then go get it.

OldFenderPlayer likes this.
  4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Wouldn't hurt to get old smoothie and later sell the '87 after you've had time to digest it all. Would be great to keep them both… different ends of the spectrum for different sounds.

OldFenderPlayer likes this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Yep. If you are not playing it especially for such a long amount of time, sell the Stingray and get the Old Smoothie. You said it yourself, it’s everything you want.
    No harm done. Let someone enjoy the Stingray . Basses are meant to be played .

Tbone76 and OldFenderPlayer like this.
  6. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I would have already done it.

OldFenderPlayer and lowdownthump like this.
  7. So I've made my decision .... I'm holding on to the 1987 Stringray, at least for a while. The Old Smoothies have been available for about two years and a few are already hitting the used market. The shop with the bass had a few sets of strings still available and I picked up some Rotorsound 77 Jazz Bass flatwounds, which I'll put on the '87 and see how they do.

I'm betting on more Old Smoothies being on the market in the coming years, but fewer Stringrays from the 1980s.

murmur70 likes this.
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    There have already been a bunch of old smoothies pop up on the used market. Like anything else, I wouldn't but new unless I absolutely had to.