Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sell my Amp and get an Orange

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Theshortlist_to, May 2, 2005.

1. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Ive got a Laney B1 i posted about it before, i paid £500 ($990 ish) its 1500 watt has a tube pre amp a nine band eq and a compressor built in.

however im finding it to be rather expensive to try and find cabs that will accomadate the 1500watt at 4ohms or even 950watt at 8ohms

so now im seriously considering flogging my amp which ive owned for 2 months and buying (after a little saving) an orange head and cab.

Wise choice?

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Are you looking for cabs that are rated at 1500W @ 4 ohm, or have you been blowing up cabs trying?

You don't need a cab rated at more than half the amps power rating. If you blow the cab up it probabaly won't be from power, it will be from clipping.

3. Orange bass heads sound at least 7 times as nice as Laney's B series in my experience (yes, I have played both)

:)

4. I have been searching for a Laney b1 owner as well as an Orange AD200 owner to ask them about both these amps for some time. All I can say is that I played through a B1 and thought it was incredible. Sounded much better than the SVT 3-Pro I own now. I heard that Orange Amps are overpriced, but I've never played one, only heard reviews. I'm still curious about them though. As far as the cabs go I wouldn't recommend the Orange. I played through a 410 that was at the local music shop, it was going for $850 and the sound was nowhere near that kind of a price range. All IMO though, it didn't cater to my style. How much are the cabs where you are?

5. basshag

basshag

Oct 17, 2001
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I owned an Orange AD200 (Mk3) for awhile - fantastic amp, especially given that it is very light for a tube head. The only reason that I sold it was that I couldn't dial in enough high-end bite for my style of playing (like I can on my Ampeg V4-B). The gain knob on the AD200 is fantastic - it really fattens up your tone without getting flabby.

6. +1 on the Orange

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Laney B1 is a fantastic head. The only problem is that you're misinterpreting the power specs and how to match them to a cab. Headroom is good - you do not need a cab which has as high a rating as the amp. A wise ratio of amp power output to cab power handling is 2:1 - i.e. a 750W 4 ohm cab or a 450W 8 ohm cab.

It's perfectly safe to use even higher rated amps with lower rated cabs - I use 1800W of amp with 700W of speakers and it sounds amazing.

Bass speakers are blown by over-excursion and the amp power has little bearing on this as very few cabs can really handle as much power as they claim if it's all in the very low frequencies. The only way this happens is if you crank up all the low frequency EQ. And you can hear the speakers complaining (kind of grindy farting) well before they blow.

Summary: Keep the amp and buy any (preferably a decent one that sounds good to you) 4x10" or 2x12" - either will handle the power just fine.

Alex

8. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Thanks for the help.

I may keep the head, i havent decided, the tube pre-amp sounds nice and the eq is enough to get the sound you really want after some tweaking.

I really want an all tube amp as i love the warmth and tone, plus orange amps look fantastic.

any suggestions on cabs that will be suitable and available in the UK?

Anyone had experience with Warwick 4x11 and 1x15's?

9. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'd consider importing a cab from the US, you'll get far more for your money that way. For deep clear clean sound, consider an Acme Low-B4 or two Low-B2s. For more coloured loud midrangey fatness, consider a Schroeder 1210 or 1212. Even with shipping and import taxes these cabs will cost less than a Warwick 410 and sound far better.

Alex

10. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    you can get a warwick 4x11 for £306 from germany (excluding p&p)

and a 1x15 for £250 (excluding p&p)

how much would a nice pair of cabs be from america?

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    By the way, it's not a 4x11, it's just called an 411. It's a 4x10 box.

Warwick cabs can get a bit mushy and lost in the mix IMO.

12. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ah, Thomann? Good prices!

I doubt you need a pair of cabs, especially as you've got that much power (the power you have, the fewer speakers you need, within reason). A Schroeder 1210 or 1212 will cost $649 plus shipping and import tax. It'll be smaller, much lighter and just as loud as a Warwick 411, whilst sounding better. An Acme Low-B4 will cost $695 plus shipping and import tax. It'll be a bit smaller and lighter than a Warwick 411, just as loud and will sound soooo much clearer, more accurate, deeper and fatter.

With the shipping and taxes you're looking at about £450 to get a really kickass cabinet. And you'll only need one cab, if it's a good one.

Alex

13. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    anyone got a price on the schroeder 21012?

:confused: <--------considering