Sell my AS P to get a SG?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Jan 22, 2002.

1. I have 4 basses, and 1 guitar. And since I play guitar in my band now, it's time to get a better one, and move the tele to the backup spot. I got my AS P for $400, and figure I can get close to $500 for it, and get a SG with that. I have not gotten attached to the P at all, so I don't think Ill have regrets selling it.

Any dissenting opinions?
  2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    By AS P do you mean American series p-bass?Well I love SG's even though I don't play guitar,and Angus Young used them!!!If you just bought it,then I would try to sell it ti a person,not a store,you'll get more.

If you decide to sell it,how much would you sell it for,because I've been looking for a jazz or p lately...
  3. Nah, its an American Standard, I believe from 95, but it is stock, so I should be able to get at least $500 for it.

I am most worried about the SG, I think I like Les Pauls better, but they cost a lot more and are heavier.

I know what I want though, a Gibson standard SG, cherry red with the big pickguard, inlays on neck and the covered 'buckers.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

tallguy, the Les Paul Studio can often be had for around $1000. I know that you won't be getting that much from the sale of the Fender, but it's worth thinking about.

You could also get a really nice Epi LP for $600. Your choice of a black beauty, quilt top, goldtop, and several solid colors to choose from.
  5. Thanks Jeff, Ill look into those.

I also have my 18th bday coming up in March, so I could sell the P, save the bday money, and end up getting a really nice used SG or LP
  6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    They have the Gibson Les Pauls for 500 new.Get it in cherry sunburst...mmmmmmm.
  7. embellisher

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i got my sg super cheap and its not a standard and it was $500. Its a special. i dont think theres any way your gonna get a used standard for much less than $700 or $800. Ive NEVER seen a paul for $500 other than epi's. If it makes u feel better though i think SG's are better guitars. I had the chance to get a few paul's but i just don't dig them. They will destroy your back.
  9. You should be able to sell the bass and get a used SG special for the same amount of money, around $500-600 for each.

Don't get a Les Paul - they're too heavy, and don't have the same vibe as an SG. And don't worry about the SG Standard. The only difference is that the Standard has the inlays, binding on the neck, and a hotter bridge pickup. Not enough in my book to justify the extra cost.

BTW, I own and play a SG Special myself. Best looking guitar ever made.
  10. embellisher

The Epi and Gibson LP Studio models are very light, but well balanced. I have always found SGs to be neck heavy.

Then there is the semi hollow(alá PRS) model, but those are big $$$$.
  11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I've seen them alot,websites,guitar lemme look...

Oops all I found on sites were epiphone les pauls for around $500.But I swear at guitar center i saw a les paul for $499.Probably a sale or something.I hope you find a good priced sg or les paul!
  12. embellisher

The lowest that I have ever seen a new Gibson Les Paul was $799, and that was the Les Paul Jr with 1 single coil. The Studio is the lowest priced 2 humbucker model, and if you get one of those new for $1000 you have gotten a great deal. The one you saw was either a Jr that they had for 2 years and wanted to get rid of, or it was used or had a bad neck.
  13. Yeah, SG's tend to be neck heavy, but it you look around, some arent as bad.

Ill probably play a LP studio and see how I like it, thanks