1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sell my fretless Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lermgalieu, Oct 26, 2017.

1. So, as far as electric basses (I also have/play an upright), I have a 2005 MM Stingray, a 2006 Mexican fretless Jazz, an MIA 2016 Precision and just bought a 1991 Mexican Precision (because I love my P, and want a backup/second one). By all rights, I should probably sell the Stingray, but (a) I love the bass, maple neck/sunburst; and (b) my wife gave it to me. I put a Nordstrand passive/active preamp in it, but I don't play it much in my current band - too modern sounding or something. I record with it sometimes. I played the Jazz a bit when I got it, but I NEVER play it in my band, and don't feel like addressing the standard Jazz buzzing, plus I tend to just play my upright when I want to be fretless. I think I've narrowed it down to selling the Jazz or selling nothing. Just thinking out loud here - anyone have any input? I don't *need* the money currently, but starting to feel like I am hoarding.

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Standard TB answer --> You can never have too many basses

3. Yeah, I figured that would be the response.

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    A fretless Jazz Bass with lines? Sell it!

lermgalieu likes this.
  5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Sell nothing.

The Chuck likes this.
  6. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    If you don't need the money, hang on to it. You just may start to like it some day......

Andre678 likes this.
  7. Boristhespyder

Boristhespyder Guest

Feb 12, 2016
    And I have been looking at a MIM fretless Jazz. How do you like yours?

8. I actually really like how it plays, and I enjoy how it sounds recorded. I have LaBella white tapewound flats on it and they suit it well. I don't like the buzzing - if I played it more I would exhaustively shield the cavities to reduce the buzzing, but I am aware it is a common "feature" of Jazz basses. I dig the lines, and I think for electric fretless, they are very helpful, notwithstanding the comment above. I may keep it, I just don't use it enough, like I said. When I first got it I lived at a place where I couldn't play my upright much due to noise issues, so I played it a ton. Now I live somewhere where I could play my upright all night if I wanted to.

Boristhespyder likes this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I haven't played upright in decades, so this is 2nd-hand apochrypha, but fwiw every bass player I know who plays upright and electric has a fretless electric somewhere in their arsenal for those gigs where it's simply impractical to bring the doghouse.

yeah, you might only dig it out once a year -- or less -- but wouldn't you rather have that ace-in-the-hole than have to punt?

Brother Goose and Andre678 like this.
  10. I hear you and thought about that, but the last time that happened to me was like 2001. That said, after all this I was playing it last night and was really digging it so it might just stay.

SJan3 and Bob_Ross like this.
  11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Do you found dead spot on your fretless bass ? if yes, just let it go. If not, just keep it.

12. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    I have a 6 month rule in my studio - if it hasn't been used in 6 months, it's out. Keeps me from feeling like I'm hoarding, and it keeps great gear from becoming museum pieces. Basses were meant to be played! Just my thoughts :)

interp likes this.
  13. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    @lermgalieu
    If you sell your bass you are dead to us and might as well cancel your TB account. :cool:

lermgalieu likes this.
  14. Fire the drummer?

15. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    Sell? No way! Buy more!

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

My GF has given me three basses over the years. A Spector fiver, an Epiphone ABG, and a Fender PB.

Can’t speak for you and your MM, but the three basses I received from my beloved would be the absolute last instruments I’d ever part with. I’d give up my main bass which I bought for myself back in 1974 before I’d give up any one of those three. But that’s me.

As far as the JB goes, if you don’t need the money, I’d be inclined to hang onto it for the time being - unless you want it gone for a more concrete reason than some vague feeling you’re “hoarding.” It’s yours and it’s paid for. So there’s nothing forcing your hand or calling for an immediate decision. Which means you can take your good sweet time making up your mind. If you’re like me, when the time truly comes for a piece of gear you own to find a new owner, you’ll know.

That said, a fretless JB is also the easiest of what you have to replace. So if you’re bent on getting rid of something, that JB would be the most logical sacrifice.

lermgalieu likes this.
  17. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Does she have a sister?

18. Thanks for this. I feel the same way about SO-bought basses. She bought me the Stingray, a gold Epiphone Jack Casady (stolen when our house was burgled) and my upright. I don’t intent to part with either of the two I have left. And I think I am keeping the Jazz, although someone up above brought up dead spots, and it is indeed a bit dead on the G string near the nut.

40Hz likes this.
  19. No

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

She’s a one-off unfortunately. Sorry

(You’re not the first that’s asked.)

Bob_Ross likes this.