Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sell my G&L and anniversary STINGRAY for SADOWSKY?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rooster, Dec 22, 2000.

1. rooster

rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    what should i do i want a sadowsky.but in order to do this i must first sell my G&L asat near mint and my STINGRAY ANNIVERSARY model which is also near mint.is it worth it???both are fantastic basses but when i play i use only one the G&L should i sell both and just have one bass.

AND REMEMBER AS ALWAYS ROCK TILL YA DROP!!!!!!!!

2. Go for it man. Sadowsky is one of the most bitchin' company's out there and your MM and G&L are defintitely worth it. Especially if you only play one of them.

3. I think Sadowsky makes a phenomenal bass. I could have bought <i>any</i> bass in the world and I chose a Sadowsky 4 string J-bass. I can e-mail you a pic of my bass if you like. :D If I were in your shoes I'd 'swap' the basses in a heartbeat.

However, it would be optimal to try one of his basses--at home, recording where they really leave the pack behind, and live-- before you sell your G&L and Stingray to make sure it is worth it to YOU.

4. rooster

rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    hey jims sure send me a pic for sure.go to http://www.witzend.org click on me playing my musicman.thanks my only question would be to know what bass of his would be best for me and how much all of the options cost.?

AND AS ALWAYS REMEMBER ROCK TILL YA DROP !!!!!!!!

5. Hard decision, but something to think about is that they only made a total of 1246 Anniversary basses, of which 713 were maple, 477 rosewood, 21 lined fretless, and 35 unlined fretless. (Information supplied by EB)
    I think in a few years they will be quite collectable and hard to replace.

While I agree that Sadowky are one of the best basses made, I wouldn't get rid of my Anniversary Ray to get one, although I would probably get rid of 2 or 3 more easily replaceable basses I have to get one.
    Also I wouldn't feel comfortable without having a backup bass at a gig.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    It depends how much you want the Sadowski and how attached you are to the other basses. I use all my instruments all the time and have made sure that they are very different to each other. Swapping one of your basses for the Sadowski would be a good compromise although you would have to save up for a period of time.

Jam today or jam tomorrow?

7. Check this out. It was an e-mail I received from Sadowsky:

:cool:

<u><b>THE PRE-OWNED SADOWSKY PROGRAM </b></u>

Sadowsky Guitars is pleased to offer a new service for Sadowsky instrument
    owners. We will now make our web site and facilities available to owners
    who wish to sell a "pre-owned" Sadowsky instrument.

With this program, you can send your instrument to Sadowsky Guitars. We
    will authenticate and inspect the instrument and provide a "Sadowsky"
    set-up. The instrument will be digitally photographed and placed on the
    Sadowsky "In-Stock" page as a pre-owned instrument. The instrument will be
    sold on 7-day approval, as would any new Sadowsky instrument.

If we conclude that additional work is needed to enhance the sale of the
    instrument, we will consult with you and provide you our point of view. Any
    such work we perform on the instrument will be, of course, at the owner¹s
    expense, and we will provide our usual, highly accurate estimates of those
    costs.

Sadowsky guitars will take a 20% consignment fee upon the final sale of the
    instrument and approval by the new owner. We believe this service will be a
    good way for Sadowsky owners to make sure they get the maximum resale value
    from their instruments in the unlikely event that they want to sell them.
    We also feel strongly that this service will ensure that our instruments,
    wherever they end up, are in top working condition and that they go to good
    homes!

For more information, please contact us at:

Sadowsky Guitars, Ltd.
    1600 Broadway #1000
    New York, NY 10019
    212 586-3960 Tel
    212 765-5231 Fax
    email: roger@sadowsky.com

8. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

I personally don't like the Stingray aniv. but I think it's good keeping it even if you never play it because if you wait another few yaers it can fetch a very nice price on the collectables market and you could afford a few used Sadwoskys when you sell it (if you still wish to when it reaches a good price).

as to the G&L, I had one and they are nice (I sold mine though) but I guess a Sadowsky is a G&L on ACID so you don't give up the G&L but rather upgrade the feel, quality and tone.
    you can also ask Roger for a neck profile identical to the G&L.

9. Acid? More like anabolic steroids.

10. Air Leech,

E-mail me at IntenseJim@aol.com

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anniversary model Stingrays may eventually increase in value but that may be quite a ways off. I've seen quite a few on the used market at sub-$1000 prices.

I like Sadowsky's but a G&L ASAT on "steroids" or "acid" would probably blow your head clean off:D The ones I've played had mammoth sound. They're basically L2000's with a Tele body. Definitely not shrinking violets. I think a lot of people underestimate what these basses can do.

Very few basses can approach the dynamics of a kick drum when slapping an E string. The ASAT is one of the few. Add to that the myriad of onboard tonal combinations and you have a bass that takes a back seat to nothing, built by a company that wouldn't know good marketing if it bit them in the... It's a shame because the ASAT is easily one of the most versatile basses made.

OTOH ASAT's are a dime a dozen and relatively easy to find, much more so than a Sadowsky. You can't go wrong with the Sadowsky but while the ASAT is no Sadowsky... the Sadowsky is no ASAT;)

I like both... and they're different. The choice is yours.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    One of my biggest concerns with such a deal is that you might lose a lot of dollars in the trade. You'll never get what you paid for your G&L or EB, as I'm sure many former owners will attest to! But, if you do, my hats off to you...

Another issue that you may or may not want to consider is that some people end up regretting getting rid of parts of their collection. Is obtaining a Sadowsky only doable if you get rid of your other instruments? Could you hold off for a little while to save some extra $$$? What is the likleyhood that you'll end up regretting that you dumped your other basses? Not that you wouldn't love owning a Sadowsky, but consider the tradeoffs.

My recommendation to you is save the extra cash so you can just buy a Sadowsky: don't get rid of anything else.

Good luck either way!

13. Part of me agrees with RAM but part doesn't. If you really love the basses, I agree. However, I was subject to GAS and had a lot of guitars at one point (my primary instrument is two octaves higher) including 9 PRS amongst others. It got to the point that I never got to know the nuances of each instrument and be able to get the most from it. Consequently, I've narrowed down my arsenal and am happier. This would be a very personal decision.

14. I have to agree with RAM. I sold my StingRay 5 to buy my MTD. I love my MTD, but I really miss my StingRay. And now I'm getting into band situations where the Ray would be perfect. I will no longer sell a bass to finance another. Maybe I'll pare down my collection someday (if I ever get a collection), but unless a certain bass is a dog, it's not worth it to me.

--Len

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My point exactly!

I don't think we all need 63 basses in our collections (though I think I could happily accommodate that many and more, if the funds allowed LOL). But, I'm sure many of us have tastes that cannot be met by a single instrument. Yes, I'm sure there are some out there...

I'm a firm believer that there's not one perfect instrument, but there are instruments that are perfect for specific situations. And, the Sting Ray and G&L both have very distinctive voices that you may find useful.

But, I still feel that trading in one instrument for another is going to leave you raked over the coals, financially. There's no way to recover the depreciation on an instrument or the discount that you have to sell it for. Not many of us have had luck buying an instrument and selling it for a profit (though I know Brad Johnson has had some luck in this area).

Just a few things I'd try to keep in mind...

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    "Not many of us have had luck buying an instrument and selling it for a profit (though I know Brad Johnson has had some luck in this area)."

You're right, RAM, but that's the exception to the rule.

One thing I learned a long time ago was the difference between "better" and "different". It's a lesson I suggest everyone try to learn. Preferably before a bass (or fill in the blank;)) you didn't realize you really liked gets away.

Is the Sadowsky "better" than the Stingray or G&L? Arguably, yes... but is it a better Stingray than the Stingray or a better ASAT than the ASAT? Sometimes the virtue of an instrument is simply in being what it is.

Sounds like Len has figured this one out;)

BTW I am definitely not a one bass person. One bass simply cannot give me what I have in the basses I've kept. It's that simple.

17. rooster

rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    wow !!!thanks for all the info guy's its really made me look at my instruments in a whole new way.brad and the rest of you.thanks for being so insightful.im glad to be able to get on a forum like this and hear great opinions.also ram i believe your right i play enough i'll keep what i have and save up for a sodowsky.and like brad said im also a more than one bass person.all of you hear have given me very much to think about.

AND REMEMBER AS ALWAYS ROCK TILL YA DROP !!!!!!!!

18. I know someone who is going to sell an alder rosewood Sadowsky J bass through Roger's <i>used</i> program. Check with him at the first week of January if you're interested.