Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sell my jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Oct 17, 2004.

1. I've had my fretless MIM fender jazz for about 3 years(my second ever bass, after my rubbishy 3/4 size Encore), and I used to lvoe it, but I now feel that the body is just too huge, and I'm not using it a lot. Should I sell it and get some more money?(I'm selling my basses to get a nice new Ashdown amp, and perhaps a warwick 5er...probably a vampyre!\m/)

2. Sell it and put the money towards the amp (get the amp first or I'll cry, seriously).

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    + infinity

4. mmm he said infinity....mmm INFINITY, they're nice....;-) the amp will be first, then im going looking for a vampyre, and if i find one im gonna buy it, i jsut have to have one, I've loved it ever since I set eyes on it.

5. Don't run with it. You might stab yourself if you trip.

6. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    Vampyres, make me gag.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Then I guess it's a good thing you're not getting one.

Get the amp.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sell the bass, get the amp

9. I'm selling the Rebop to fund the amp....the jazz would just be sold to get me a vampyre.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Didn't you say "i cant sell my fender it has senitmental value"?

If you do sell it and it's in good condition, you'll probably get more for it than your Rockbass and Yamaha-people are regularly on the lookout for fretless Fender Jazzes-at least they used to sell pretty often when the market was better.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's not a great plan if you want to get an amp. Remember, you may never be able to sell your Rebop-which ever order your basses do sell, just put the money in a fund and then purchase the things from the top of your "need to get" list down.

12. Well, I do need another 5 string, I did think of restringing my bass D G C F and tuning down to low B, but it may not work. I duno, what to do, what to do....I'm definetly getting a new amp, but then I need a new 5 string, as my spector pees me off.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's fine if you want a new five-string-just remember that the extra low notes will be completely useless without decent amplification as they'll sound like sonic cow pies, so you need that first. When you said restringing your bass, did you mean tuning it down to B E A D? Because D G C F is tuning your bass up to a piccolo bass.

14. No, I meany tuning it to D C G F, lower, with those special La Bella strings?

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What would be the point of tuning a whole-step down just to drop the D to B, whcih would make fingering between the B string and C string quite difficult? Why not just put on a set of B E A D strings so you have it tuned in fourths like a normal bass, so you can maintain your normal fingering patterns? It'd be easier that way.

And you never responded to your "can't sell because of sentimental" comment. Is the bass no longer sentimental to you? Not that I'm one for sentimentality-I feel if you don't use it, then sell it for something you will.

16. It has a certain amount of sentimental value, but I've learned not to treat my bass like a person, it's an pobject, not something with feelings, so just sell it if I don't use it....

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Nick, you're on your way to recovery. If you're not using the Jazz much, and you've lost interest in it, ditch it. If you no longer find that you like a bass, then sell it, and move on. I've done this way too often.

18. I love the jazz to play on, I just don't like it to wear....I feel dwarfed by it, the body is massive.....plus when I walk about I whack my leg on the sticky outty bit where the cotnrols are....grrrr.

19. Hint: Don't wear it so low.

20. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    if u ain't goona use it, then sell it and let someone else get some joy out of it. no point hording instruments, you might as well find one you like and then play it til you die!!!!

Also will free up much needed capital for your buying sprees which seem pretty legendary from all the posts Iv've been reading recently!!

Where do you bu your basses from in York? or do u go further afield?

Dodge