Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sell my Modulus Q5 for a Sadowsky Metro 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GRoberts, Oct 9, 2004.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I am thinking about getting rid of my 2003 Modulus Quantum 5 Blackstone Quilt Maple Topped bass (EMG's) to get a Sadowksy Metro Vintage 5. Would love to hear if the collective wisdom thinks this is a step up, stupid move, or ??? My other option is to find another F Bass BN5 as my back-up but is seems easier to justify if my backup bass can offer something a little different but still get the sound I'm looking for.

The Quantum 5 was my main bass until my F Bass BN5 became my main gigging instrument. Now when I need to use a backup bass, my Modulus Q5 is fairly different that it requires quite an adjustment in preamp settings. It's lost some of its charm. The Q5 is a great bass and records well, but I really love a great Super Jazz bass with a great slap tone (Think Marcus) and punchy, growly mids that cut through the mix (think Jaco). A Super Jazz style bass is the perfect blend between Modern tone and Vintage for me. Cuts through and sits in a live mix better than my Modulus.

If I get a Sadowsky Metro, what do you recommend?
    Alder/Morado or Ash/Maple? From what I've read, the Vintage 5 is the bass of choice versus the Modern 5. Thanks for your input.

Lastly, Anyone compared (don't mean to dig up any flame wars) a Sadowsky Metro to Lull 5? I've never been able to play or hear either. Thanks! - Gary

2. I owned a Q6 that I really liked. However, I would never trade my Sadowsky J for any Modulus I have played. If you're not happy with the Q and are looking for a J sound, I can't imagine you would not be happy with a Sadowsky.

Mine is Ash/Maple with single coils.

Good luck!
    Jeff

3. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    You said yourself you are a big Super J fan. The Quantum is nowhere near a super J and the Sadowsky is THE super J in my experience. Seems like a no brainer if that is truly the tone youa re after.

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    what about that perrty roscoe you got as your Avatar?

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think you should hold back if you can for a bit and wait for some of these Metros to start selling used, then you can possibly afford to keep all of your basses!

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It sems like you don't like the Modulus anylonger so IMO, I don't see any reason to keep it.

What I would recomend, if you have room on your credit card id to buy a Metro & compare it to the Modulus before you sell it.you never know, you might not like the Sadowsky. (doubt it. ;))

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Highly recommend any Sadowsky. All mine are light ash bodies. Two have maple boards, one is morado

Rob

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As noted, two very different basses! Go ahead and make the swap... the best way to know a bass is to own it.

To perhaps ease your mind somewhat: IME, Modulus Quanta basses are amazingly consistent in tone... I didn't find a tremendous difference between EMG and bart electronics. So, you can always go back if you change your mind.

9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I struggled a lot about whether to part with my Zon Sonus for a Metro and after a lot of thought I went for it. After playing my Metro this whole weekend and falling completely in love with the tone I know I made a good move. I received a lot of compliments from people who said they really liked the tone of the Metro and these are people who normally don't really say too much about things like that. I found lots of nice tone with several differenet settings and played through a house system at one point and the tone was full and cut through nicely. I've never had a Modulus but you can't go wrong with the Metro. If it's a J bass you want go for it!

10. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    Well, here's a little different perspective:

The Modulus is a completely different bass than the Sadowsky, and that's the beauty of it. If you buy the Sadowsky will you regret the fact that now you have two basses that cover the same tonal territory? Will they be redundant? Are you confident that the only tone you'll want is a J tone?

I say give it a few months to think about it. You may come around an realize you don't want to sell your Modulus, or you may sell it and get a Sadowsky.

11. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Wow. Lot's of GREAT feedback. I love TalkBass! You guys are incredible.

1.) Browne bass - That pretty Roscoe in my Avatar was an exceptionally beautiful Roscoe, but it just didn't quite have the full rich Slap tone and mid-punch that I crave. I actually sold it after getting the Modulus. Go figure. Would love to have kept it for it's sheer physical beauty though!

2.) Daniel, you're right. The Modulus is different from my other basses and offers a unique sound alternative. However, I find myself looking for that 'one' sound that is more me. I.e. a tone that sits well in the mix without getting lost or losing focus, cuts well, is sparkly and clear ala Marcus, has excellent and is well balanced. (and a great B string of course)

3.) Halftooth - I would love to find a used Metro but that could be a long wait. The new price point is one that is not so high that it is prohibitive.

4.) Comparing a Sadowsky to my Modulus will most likely just spell out the fact that they are two different animals. When comparing my F Bass to the Modulus. It's just not even close.

5.) Joshua - Good point. The two tones I crave (Marcus Slap tone) and Jaco Mids are indicative of the differences between a 60's Jazz (Alder/Rosewood) versus a 70's Ash/Maple J bass. However, the pickup placement on Sadowsky Metro's is the same regardless of wood choices. Since I already have an Ash/Maple and get "Super Jazz sounds" from my F Bass BN5, perhaps the Alder/Rosewood Metro would make the most sense to offer something a little different, but still Jazz bass like? My playing style gravitates more toward Marcus more than Jaco however. (Not that I'm even close, but you get the idea) I want the Jaco growly mids mostly for solos and because I know how well they cut through in a band mix.

6.) Interesting that Mike Sancho switched from a Zon (somewhat Modulus-esque) to a Sadowsky and loves it. that's a very close real-world fascimile of what I am considering. Which Metro did oyu get Mike? 4 or 5 string? Ash or Alder?

7.) Fuzzbass - Good point. Modulus Quantums are extremely consistent. Can always go back to one if that turns out to be the sound and tone I need. Although after being on my F Bass since March, I'm spoiled by a Super Jazz on steroids type of sound. Suits my style best.

8.) Bikeplate - Would love to know if you can get the mid growl ala Jaco from your Ash/Maples? What are the sonic differences between your Ash/Maple versus Morado? are they minor, or highly noticeable?

9.) Nino - I'm sort of "over" the Modulus sound. When I bought it, I was seduced by it's punch across the entire frequency range. But I always though the slap tone and highs were a little bright, sterile and snappy. Works great in a loud Rock band when you want high definition. But that's not my main thing. I will admit however, the quantum 5 records wonderfully and with the graphite neck, there are no dead spots and it sustains forever. But I'm just a little bit more old school Vintage meets Modern tone. The Modulus is all about Modern.

Thanks again! - Gary

12. Sadowsky Metro ash + maple for that Marcus tone and slap thang!

Whether you love or hate Modulus Quantum is irrelevant: it's not going provide a superlative J bass tone.

13. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a Metro S5 ash, maple woods. It has been a good move for me and I want to stress again I really liked my Sonus.

14. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks Mike. That is a very nice testimonial if you ask me. What is the case like? hardshell? Gig bag? PS: What strings do you prefer on your Sadowsky? - Gary

15. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    the bass came in a very nice soft case with the Sadowsky signature on the front. It came with Sadowsky medium lights
    and I'm liking them a lot. Normally I use Smith Medium lights or Blue Steels. Take care.

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've sold a Pedulla ET-6, Pedulla Rapture J2 5 string, a Peavey foundation, and an ebay'ed Factor that was sold as "pre Fender", but was actually a Fender-made '89.

The only sale I don't regret is the factor (since I picked one up that really was made in Phil's shop). All those others, wish I still had 'em. Especially the ET-6.

I too, want a sadowsky metro to compliment my Q5 ;)

17. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Good point. Even though my Roscoe wasn't all I wanted it to be, I do wish I still had it. But is was such an expensive bass to sit in the case most of the time. It was the Practical side of me that decided to sell it since I couldn't justify keeping such an expensive bass that deserves to be played.

That said, I want a back up bass, or something that totally suits my desire for tone, feel, looks etc that is as comfortable and natural to me as my main bass.

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I have a love/hate relationship with modulus graphite basses. I've owned and sold a Spi 4 and 5. A lto of times i wish i hadn't sold the 5, especially when i hear recordings i did with it. But you're right, there is a certain sound you can't get rid of (although dammned if it doesnt dissapear on tape), yet the clarity and focus are pretty much unmatched. If you can swing it i would get both the sadowsky and keep the MG. But if you can't i'd probably go with sadowsky. It just seems that with both you could cover pretty much any sound you wanted. :cool:

19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My Q5 has lane poor pickups, and it makes quite a difference. I've played many Qs with Barts and EMGs, and I still like them, but with the LPs the sound is much more "pure" and "natural". Mine also has an alder body with a walnut (I think) top ... so its a little warmer and darker than your average mod.

I find that it likes to be run through a big sounding amp, in my case either an Ampeg SVP pre or a SansAmp Bass Driver DI to fatten up the low end a bit. If I go through an SWR rig or something it can sound pretty sterile.