Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sell my Stingray5 and buy a Lakland Darryl Jones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Currently I have two basses. A Stingray5 and a Ric 4001. Im really happy with both, but I think the Stingray could be replaced with something I even more like. A passive jazz 5 string bass.
    I play in an alternative metal band.
    I really like the looks of the DJ. How is the B string compared to the Stingray5? Are there any other 5 string passive basses within this budget I should check out?

[​IMG]

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you're sure that you want to let the SR5 go, then the DJ5 is a great bass from what I have heard. I have some experience with Skylines (55-01 & 55-02) and they have great B strings and overall build quality, but maybe just a step below that of a Stingray, especially in terms of body contouring.

The DJ5 is on my personal GAS list. According two several Tbers, the DJ and DJ5 are the best J-style basses short of the high end boutiques.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've never played a DJ5, but Lakland is known for having strong, clear low B's, so at the minimum, you'd probably be getting a pretty decent sound off of your B. I don't know that there are many alternative metal players throwing away their SR's for a passive 5'er, but that shouldn't be any reason to stop you from trying.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is that a USA lakland or skyline?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thought so. Id keep the Sr5 unless you were truely unhappy with it.

6. Im not really unhappy with it. The Musicman was my first love. But I play a few years bass now and it turns out that I dig a passive tone more. Also I like to use a little overdrive over my basstone and it kicks as one a passive bass, but with my Stingray it doesn't sound 100% right.. Anyway I will try those Laklands at a store someday and take my Stingray with me and then im going to compare, which I like better..

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Hey, that's a picture of my bass! (but with a J-retro).

I absolutely love my DJ5. Terrific tone from the Aero pickups, and outstanding construction. The B string is incredible. It is 35" scale, so that may take some getting used to -- it took me a little while, but now it feels comfortable.

That being said, I'd love to have a Stingray 5-string, and I'd be reluctant to sell it if I were you -- you'll miss it.

My advice: Try to find some way to keep your 'ray AND get the DJ. :D Don't sell your 'ray unless the GAS becomes unbearable.

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I sold my SR5 for a Lakland 55-02 and loved it.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Lakland only makes the DJ model in the Skyline series. There's no USA DJ.

10. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I spent about 2 1/2 hours in Bass Northwest last week auditioning 5 strings. I tried most everyting in the store including Sadowsky, Elrick, Roscoe, the new double humbucker Stingray, on and on. The one I kept comming back to was the Lakland Darryl Jones 5!! For me it was the rare combination of neck feel (shallow profile), tone and looks.
    I kept trading off between the Sadowsky and the Lakland; in the end I thought the DJ5 was best for the reasons stated. I liked the finish and the radiused edges of the Sad. but it didn't fit my hand as well as the Lakland.
    The Aero pickups on the DJ created quite a range of wonderful tones; it was easy to understand why the 4 string version was voted "Best Tone" in the Bass Player pickup shoot out a few years ago. I also fell in love with with the trimmed down, modernized "Fender Jazz" style ash body and the pearl black finish. The dark Rosewood fingerboard with its M.O.P. blocks and white binding sealed the deal for me. Not only was it a player but it looked absolutly beautiful!! I currently own about 34 basses including about eight 5 strings; I think this will be on of the special ones!! Today I ordered mine from Guitarauctions.com for $1199 including shipping and the Lakland factory hard case. Bass Northwest wanted $1199 plus tax and a non factory case.

Go try one out!!

KT

11. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    I believe Lakland offers a DJ4 USA. Unless they discontinued it? The DJ5 is available only in the Skyline series. A friend asked Dan (Lakin) if he would build a USA DJ5 and he said he would but it would cost Whacky $$$. I believe a USA DJ4 lists somewhere around $4K, so you could imagine what a 5 would cost.

Here is a pic of my DJ5:

[​IMG]

I love the bass. It's my workhorse.

Although, it IS a passive bass, the Aero's are pretty hyper. Plenty of high end is there and needs to be backed off in most situations.

12. Thanks!

13. Where can i find the lowest price of a Lakland DJ? Vintagebass.com?

14. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wait, you play Alternative metal and you have a Stingray and Rick? If I was playing alternative metal, I would think that the Rick would be the odd one out. Maybe that's me though. I've played plenty of stingray 5's and I thought they were fantastic. I think you should find a way to keep your stingray and get a DJ5. I love my DJ5. I sincerly believe that the Skyline series of instruments is on par with the Stingrays. I've owned 2 EB stingrays (4 stringers) and I've owned 4 Laklands to date and played countless. The bottom line is that you gotta do what's best for your sound. But I think laklands are one of the best deals you can get for a quality instrument these days...

15. Yeah well the Ric is indeed great for metal, but we use the B string almost in every song, so for most songs I need a 5 stringer. Also a part of my sound is the overdrive which i get from the Sansamp RBI. It rocks in combination with a Ric, but in combination with a Stingray it sounds like a fart. So thats one of the reasons I would like a passive jazz 5 stringer

16. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    fair enough man. Cool that you found a sound you really dig. I say go for the DJ5 then or if you want something in between try the 55-02. Take care man.

17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Cliff Burton used to play Ricks. They have plenty of metal street cred.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DJ5 is a GREAT bass. So is a Ray 5. Tough call.

18. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Minor rant....
    Dude, you should have gotten it from Bass Northwest. Just hope you don't need any customer service after you get the thing. Also, unless it has changed in the past year and a half, the "lakland" cases for skylines are just skb freedom series cases. They are not shaped for a lakland or even marked as a lakland! (my 03 skyline came with such a case)

When a good instrument is on the line, it's always worth the price of tax to get good customer service and to support the stores where you can actually try something out. If brick and mortar stores go out of bussiness, people won't be able to take advantage of them to try out instruments that they later buy on line. Did you even give Bass NW the chance to match the online price?

ok, rant over.

Sometimes there are huge differences in price, but when people whine about GC, or mega stores, and the decline of the mom and pop places, they need to know that this kind of thing is why they dissapear.

I any case I hope you enjoy the bass, I love my 55-01, and the DJ5 looks extremely tasty.