Sell or Keep a Vintage Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phephron, Jun 8, 2004.

1. phephron

May 5, 2004
    I have a Guild Starfire Bass built in the late 60's. 1 pickup model that is in excellent shape. Neck is great, action is to die for. The problem is that the pickup is not adjustable, and so some of the strings are louder, others softer. Depending on where I am on the neck, I get more or less "punch."
    I have been toying with selling it ( from what I can find on the 'net it looks like they are fetching in the 1200 - 1700 range) and getting something new. I live in Pensacola, and there is not a lot of selection so that makes getting a bass a bit more challenging. I could afford a second bass in the $500 range and was thinking about a G&L Tribute 2000, but I also would not mind having $2K to get something like a Sadowsky, or some other top end bass. I am not professional - but over many years I can certainly appreciate what a fine instrument sounds like, compared to an inexpensive one. And I know that my Starfire was not a top of the line bass back when I got it, but what can one do in high school?
    I would really appreciate some guidance from some of the wizened players out there and I realize that ultimately it is a personal decision. But ultimately music is all about the "sound" and I would love to consider getting a top end bass. Thanks for any help.
  2. I would keep it and treasure it, because I would likely miss it after it's gone. As nice as the Sadowsky would be, after the initial excitement wears off I'd regret selling the old one just for the sake of having it around. I'm sure this bass has been with you for a while, so don't give it up.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree. Keep it.
  4. Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    you will miss it if you do sell it. keep that sucker,the value only goes up. :cool:
  5. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    I remember glancing over at the dudepit a bit ago, and they had a whole section on this new darkstar pickup for guild starfires. Maybe putting a new pup in there will make the heart grow fonder?
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Find a good luthier and take it to him. Tell what you're experiencing and see what he can do for you. It could be a number of things, including the strings you are using.

If he can't find anything and you still feel the same way about the bass, then consider selling it if you can't afford to keep it.

At least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you tried. With a bit of luck, he will fix the problem for you.

7. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Sell it. Buy exactly what you want. Do not feel guilty. Move forward. Sell you SLR cameras while you are at it. Drive to Orlando and go to Bass Central. Drive to Atlanta and go to Bass Atlanta or that other Atlanta Bass shop. Go to Churchill Grounds to listen to jazz when you are in Atlanta.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its worth $150.

Where do I send the cash? :D
  9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Id Say Sell it, But Im not a Fan of Vintage Basses... Some day the basses I will be using will be Vintage, but I'll like those, I just dont like the "Current" vintage basses...

Sell it! Get a Nordstrand or Dingwall $1,700 Could easily buy either one...
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thornton is correct that a good luthier might be able to correct the problems with your Starfire.

That said: I get the impression from your post that the only reason you're not immediately selling the Starfire is because it's vintage. You mentioned the great action, but still, it seems to me that you'd prefer a high-end bass. So, unless the Starfire has some great sentimentality to you, or you like it a lot more than you say you do, I say sell it and get a nicer bass.
  11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Lots of good used basses out there for 500.
  12. And whatever you do, don't "modify" it by like routing it for another pickup, or dremeling out underneath the pickup to lower it or whatever. A small, permanent mod will kill the value. If you don't like it as any non-structurally altering setting allows, sell it. Someone will want it- and there's lots of other "vintage" (or modern) guitars that would probably suit you better.
  13. phephron

May 5, 2004
    Thanks for everyone who responded. Fuzzbass you are right on about the vintage and playability. I have sentimental value with the bass, but I am thinking that I would rather have something really nice with great sound, and I should be able to find a bass that has great action and a great neck. Tim99 - thanks for the suggestion about the bass shops. I have relatives living there, and so that is an easy decision about going up there, and I will check it out. I think if I find something that I really like, it will make the decision easier. In the meantime, it is a fun bass to play and I guess in the end that is important.
  14. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Don't ever sell anything, unless it's total crap--otherwise 25 years later you'll try re-buying all the stuff you sold in your youth. trust me :crying:
  15. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    If you sell it, you will hate yourself later. There have been many whole threads on this mournful loss. There are a lot of basses in the $500-$800 range that are very nice. The vintage is something you will not be able to replace.