Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sell Silvertone Dolphin Dano? Buy Jerry Jones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by namrok, Oct 27, 2005.

1. namrok

namrok

Sep 19, 2005
    Wayne, PA
    I have an early 60's Silvertone/Danelectro "dolphin head" bass in exc condition that I "think" I could get enough out of to buy a used Jerry Jones longhorn. I am on the fence here and would be interested in any thoughts from TBers.

Thanks, Dave

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    As luck would have it, I own one of each.

The Longhorn has more possible sounds than the Silvertone because of the two pickups (although I find the bridge pickup a little TOO trebly) and has more solid hardware. Feel of the neck is pretty much the same but on Longhorns the neck doesn't stick out as far as on dolphin-noses because the bridge is placed closer to the end of the body. Access to upper frets is much better because of the cutaway.

The current JJs come with metal bridges much like on a Fender...the wooden saddle Dano-style bridges are no longer offered (they used to be standard with metal saddles an option); this makes intonation better but I prefer the wooden saddle (mine is an older Longhorn).

The current JJs have satin finished necks rather than painted necks.

It's easy to tell current JJs from older ones: they have Neptune decals on the headstock rather than Jerry Jones,the headstock is not painted and there is no pickup toggle switch.

I guess it depends on what you are hoping to gain by the swap.

3. namrok

namrok

Sep 19, 2005
    Wayne, PA
    Brian,

Many thanks. I was hoping to get better intonation, although I just sanded more of an angle onto the wooden saddle and think this will help the low E. BTW, what strings do you use and which bass do you prefer playing. I am looking at a Neptune that is for sale. Are any of the sounds on the Neptune much better than on the original? I do like the Silvertone!

Thanks, Dave