1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sell svt 4pro upgrade to 2 pro for no $$ out of pocket???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldironsights, Apr 11, 2009.

1. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    Hey guys!! I just found a deal locally that I dont think I can pass up! I currently own a ampeg svt 4pro (hybrid, tube pre) and can sell it to get a late 90s ampeg svt 2 pro all tube head. Basically I wont have to come out of pocket any money. So should I do it??? I tried an svt classic and couldnt seem to get the tone that I personally like, but with the graphic eq I think I could dial in almost any tone w the 2 pro. Is it true that the 2 pro will have more power/sound louder/more balls/punch???? than the 4 pro??? If you could give me some advice or input I would really appreciate it!

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I have experience with all of those heads.....it in the end it is up to your ears to really decide what to do. I just recently bought an SVT 4 PRO and I find the tones out of that head to be great with plenty of power.

The 2 PRO sounds similar to the SVT 3 PRO with a lot more tube growl to it. The SVT CL sounds different than both of these heads, but the tube growl is about the same.

Try the 2 PRO out on the same cab as you use the 4 PRO. Switch between boths heads and see what makes you happy. Both heads will serve you well, just make sure one of them gives you the tone you want and grab that one!

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

When I A-B'ed the 3-pro & 4-pro at GC, I liked the tone and punch I got out of the 3-pro (probably due to the driver tubes which the 4-pro lacks), but like the power of the 4-pro.

I wound up getting a 2-pro...alltube goodenss and power. I've wanted a 2-pro since 1994...

try the amp out and see if it's what you like. If you like it, do it. You don't see many used 2-pro's for sale out there; their owners usually hold onto them for a reason.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I went with a 6Pro for 2 reasons, (besides the power). First, no graphic eq, and equally as important, the tube driven drive stage. Of course, a 2Pro is one step better, (if you're a big tube fan), and between a 2 or 4, I like the 2Pro.

5. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    The 4PRO will make slightly more power than the 2PRO in the real world. Both will only drive a single 810 or 215 to full smoke. BOB

6. I love the 2pro but,beware if You rack mount it IME...Mine basically tore itself out the rack from the weight/vibration of travel..To be clear it snapped the hardware that holds the body of the head to the faceplate(the part w/the rackears)...so,if You do rack it make sure there is support in rear area,IMO,IME...Awesome sounding head for sure!

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

yes, the rear of the amp has a 1/4"-20 nut for rear support. But I'm not aware of any kind of bracket available for rear mounting...if there is something out there, that's great. If not, you have to make a bracket yourself that will fit your particular rack case.