Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sell SVT II to get Aguilar DB750???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Sep 29, 2004.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I currently own an Ampeg SVT II-Pro and a BBE Bmax w. Carvin DCM1500. I love the sound of both setups, but I'm going to sell the SVT. The weight is just to much right now, and I like the clean sound that the Bmax gives me.

But, since I got my Aguilar cabs (410 and 2 112's), I've always wondered how they would sound w. the DB750 (as I've read great things about the amp and how it matches with the cabs). I like the cleanness of the Bmax, but I want to get a tube sound wo. the huge weight of an all-tube amp.

Should I sell the SVT and try to get a used Aguilar 750; Or will a tube preamp such as: SVP or Aguilar 680 or 659 paired with the Carvin do the trick??

I know it's a matter of tastes, but I'd like to know what would you do. I've read dozens of reviews and would like to know what you guys (and gals) think.

Thanks for your time. Any opinion is welcome...

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Personally, I'd do it in a second. I love Aguilar stuff. I can't remember who it was that said it first, but...well, if Aguilar made shoes, I'd buy 'em.

Unfortunately, the only Aguilar gear I can afford at the moment is the OBP-3 in my fretted :crying: .

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty sure 750 is a tube pre solid state poweramp so if you got a DB 680 or 659 it should sound similar. I have a 659 and a QSC and I like the sound but I can't say if the 750 sounds like it because I've never used one.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the 750 has the 659 preamp in it with an extra tube - to my ears it sounds the same
    the 680 sounds very very different than the 659, definietly better

having said that, if i had to buy an amp today i would get the 750 - it sounds good, and its LOUD, very very very LOUD
    they rate the power output of the 750 quite conservatively IMO

5. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    If you dig the clean sound you are getting out of the BBE, you will not like the fuzzy sound you get out of the 750. The 750 is tube to the max on the preamp side...and very very very heavy. If you don't like the weight of your Peg, you won't like the weight of the Ag either. Its not that I didn't LIKE the Ag, contraire, it was sweet when I wanted a tube sound, but it was not very versitile and weighed a ton. Peg is more versitile IMO. Better option would be to get an Ag preamp...I recorded a cd using the 750 preamp section and the engineer (and I) loved its natural compression and presence. Live, it seemed to hoover in the middle spectrum...not a ton of low bass or extreme treble...nice sound, just more old school than I wanted. I suspect I'm about to be charred...I better get another beer...

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    naw, i wont charr ya
    it is fuzzy
    the stellar part of the 750 is the poweramp section for sure
    i still prefer my alembic and demeter pres to the pre in the 750
    when i demoed the 750 i ran it against my alembic/stewart 2.1 rig. i even plugged the alembic into the poweramp in on the 750
    bottom line, i like the alembic pre better than the aggie pre, but into an aggie 410, i had to bridge the stewart to get the volume i was getting from the 750

7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    A DB750 just showed up on eBay for $1375.

8. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I agree, the power amp section of the 750 SMOKED my EVO 500, especially on the Q5. More powerful for sure. Something magical about an anvil power amp old school style vs the lighter weight power amps...but somehow my back won the argument in the end...my back has no ears...would you guys laugh at me if I had ears on my back...of course you would.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is very true.

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I know the 750 is 42lbs. but that's still 30+ less than the SVT, and about the weight of my Bmax and Carvin power.

I'm getting the impression that an Aguilar preamp would be a better choice. I was listening to the Aguilar DB659 and DB680 on basstasters.com, and I liked the meatyness of the DB659 better than the DB680. The 680 sounded brighter in the clips I heard (Sadowsky, MTD). I know that's not the same as the sound you get in person, but that was my impression of the preamps.

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I love the sound of the bassist from Hoobastank in the new album. I know he uses Aguilar gear live (a Db750 but also an Aguilar tube poweramp). I love the album sound (which maybe or may not be Aguilar gear), but I heard him on TV and I loved the sound.

Just trying to give you more info.
    Thanks again and don't stop helping... :)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was gonna swap my amps, but then I got high,
    Completely change camps, but I was high,
    Now my legs have cramps, and I know why ...
    (Why, baby?)
    Because I got high, because I got high, because I got high.

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ROFL :D

13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I bought the DB 750 that was on Ebay, I did.

14. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Good deal!!
    :bassist:

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you decide to sell the Ampeg let me know

16. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    having owned the 680 and the 750 myself ... i have to say that the 750 is a monster amp ... but the 680 will always be the one piece of gear i will regret having sold.

the parametric mids on the 680 are tremendously powerful, and with that double-deep switch, the thing goes really L-O-W.

i think there's like 10 tube stages in the 680, and with the gain turned up to about 2:00 for a little tube rip ... nirvana.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Don't put too much weight into the basstasters DB680 clips. Trust a bunch of TBers who would say that the 680 blows the 659 away. Throw in the several magnitudes of more versatility in tone and it's no contest.
    Having said that, a 659 with good tubes is a good preamp (I almost bought one myself), but if you have the money, just buy a 680.

BTW, another good preamp is the Read Purity.

18. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey Dr. Phunkypants:

I envy you, don't say that too loud, I'm hurting cause you bought the 750 on Ebay. Well, I didn't have the money at that time, so enjoy it please.

:bawl:

I'll have one someday...

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Sorry Afroman! I hope another becomes available very soon!!

20. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Dont worry I know I'll get one someday
    Thanks to all who replied

Peace....