1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sell the Warwick $$ for a Bongo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lunatique, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    I currently have two basses--a Warwick Corvette Double Buck 5-string and a Line 6 Variax 700 4-string--both purchased used.

The Variax I plan to keep because it has some interesting tone variations--regardless if they're authentic sounding or not.

The Warwick is great--very solid piece of wood and great sound, but I kinda wish it had more than just 2-band for the active EQ. The neck is also a bit heavy as well.

Ever since I played a Bongo a couple of times at a local GC, I've been lusting for one. I love the 4-band EQ and the it just felt "right" in my hands--the action, the neck, the weight. And of course, the tone is just killer--can go from punchy slap to smooth and jazzy.

Now, I admit my reasons for wanting a Bongo (particularly the Stealth finish) is mostly a "want" not a "need." I love the look of the Bongo, and that Stealth Black finish is just awesome--looks like some alien high-tech mothership. The 4-band EQ is also so useful for adjusting the tone quickly.

I know that I can easily create more variety of tone by simply tweaking the EQ on my Toneport/Gearbox recording interfaceand--it'll make any bass sound a lot more versatile so the 4-band on the Bongo isn't really a good enough reason to spend the money (I don't gig--I just record). That leaves just the look and the feel. I actually think the Warwick looks quite beautiful, so there's no issue there. The feel is where the problem is--I wish the Warwick was lighter--especially the neck.

I don't think I can justify keeping the Warwick if I get the Bongo. So I just want to hear your opinions.

2. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    I'm a feel over all else guy. The Bongo just felt right in my hands as well.

As for your situation, the Bongo's feel is so different from the Warwick - my guess is that if you like the Bongo you won't pick up the Warwick at all if you keep both.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Need rarely dictates our motivations. Lust, and longing are powerful, and I believe, since you only live the one time, we should do whatever is necessary to ensure our happiness. Go my son, and be happy.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've tried both and bought the Warwick.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of more than 2-band EQs on board. On the basses I've had with a mid control I've never touched it. I can't imagine 4 bands on the bass being all that helpful in a real world situation.

If you prefer the Bongo in terms of feel and tone, then by all means go for it. But don't let the 4-band eq sway you; that's what amps are for. ;)

(Though I am of the "Bongo is ugly" camp, the Stealth would be the way I would go if I had to.)

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Buy the Bongo. You won't be sorry.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Agreed.

If we all only bought the basses we NEED and none of the ones we just WANTED, most bass manufacturers would be out of business and we would all own a single bass.:meh: What the hell kinda world would that be?:spit: Not one that I want to live in!:crying::D

Disclaimer: I don't recommend going into debt on a bass purchase unless absolutely necessessary. In your case, make sure the bass you keep/trade for is something that you plan on keeping for a while.:)

7. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    That's really between you, your bank account and what your gut tells you :)

If the $$ doesn't do it for you, and you can get away with it fiancially and the Bongo is a much better fit then by all means.

Personnaly, I'd sleep over it for a while, just to be sure. However, looking at your post history it looks like you're not getting along as well as you like with the 'wick and you're REALLY lusting for a bongo / stingray (and Nirvana black isnt 'really' stealth) :)

So yeah, I'd go for it. Personnaly.

8. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    Ditto!:hyper:

9. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    Thanks for chiming in with your comments. It's certainly a money issue as well. I've already spent several thousand dollars in the last few months on music gear, and it's hard to justify spending more when the bank account hasn't quite recovered yet. This is why I'm thinking of selling the Warwick so I can at least cover roughly 50% of the cost of the Bongo.

Or, I could wait a while save up, then splurge on a bongo, a Parker Fly Deluxe, and a Zendrum ZAP all at the same time. :D:bassist:

SurrenderMonkey - My previous disappointment with the Warwick was really my own fault. I should've slapped on a different set of strings on it first before I made any kind of judgement.

10. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I prefer being able to tweak my tone from the bass rather than having to go back to my amp on a stage that may or may not be lit very well. And depending on the room, I use the mid boost/cut frequently.

11. Curious how it worked out for you. I sold a Warwick to buy a Bongo. The ergonomics are better for me, and although I like how the Warwicks look, I happen to think the Bongo looks cool too. The Bongo signal is a little on the hot side for the Line6 gear I use at home, so I usually have some tweaking to do to get it to sound right there. The live sound is incredible. As I gradually set up and tweaked the action, the feel seemed to improve dramatically, seems perfect now.