Sell your Ergodynes before they fall apart!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by freddylang, Jan 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    The plug jack on Ibanez Ergodyne's are garbage! For one they are plastic. Not unusual but this is really cheap plastic. Secondly the nut for the jack constantly comes loose so you have to take it apart and tighten it. Thirdly this causes the wires inside to twist and eventually break from their soldering. This weekend will be the third time since last February when I bought it new that I will have to resolder the wires and try to tighten the cover. I would tighten the cheap a*% cover as tight as I could if it wasn't plastic. I'm afraid I'll crack it in half. After I do this I'll probably put the piece of #@$! straight out on E-bay. Ibanez's are for beginners that don't know anything about basses yet. That was me last March. Never again. Oh yeah by the way, the fretboard and the tuning pegs suck too. I should have burned my $550!!! The $290 dollar soundgear I had first was actually built better!
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A lock washer will take care of the loosening nut.
  3. W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    I haven't seen it but can't you put a metal jack into it?
    and what about the warranty? :confused:
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've had similar problems with my Ibanez TR70 (or some crappy model number like that).

The E tuning peg is loose and rattles. I keep meaning to replace it, but when you're playing amplified, it doesn't matter. You can only hear if you're playing, for whatever reason, without being plugged in. It's not really a concern to me.

The input jack is atrocious. It is always coming loose. Thanks Brian for the suggestion. I'm going to give that a shot. I've already had to have it repaired once because the wires came loose.

With all those problems, I still really like the tone on my bass. I know that Ibanez receives a lot of criticism, but I must have gotten lucky, because those two faults are definitely not worth scrapping my bass.
  5. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    I've had my Ibanez EDC 700 for a year now. I haven't had any problems yet. Just because your particular bass is falling apart doesn't mean every Ergodyne bass is a piece of sh*%. It might be that the EDB's aren't as well constructed as the EDC's, i'm not sure though
  6. wow a thread about an Ibanez falling apart, there's something you don't see every day. :D
  7. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    The bass sounds allright but the tone isn't close to my Peavey G-bass. I could add parts or change parts but your not supposed to have to rebuild the thing when it's not even a year old. And I take excellent care of my stuff and it's never been dropped. My E tuning peg does the same thing. I wonder if that's an Ibanez patent. (HEheh) It's ok. I'm putting myself on guitar shop arrest and not buying another bass until I save up for a top-line bass. Man I love the look and sound of the Zons! Another year of hard work and maybe I'll deserve to play one. :)
  8. :(

Wow! Sorry to hear you got such a lemon dude.My lil Ibanez GSR190 is built solid and stays in tune really well.I am a bit rough on her though i.e. banging the headstock and scratching the luthite finish too much.I will keep this bass forever since it is my first but plan on buying something nicer(g&l,fender,spector?)once I get some tax return $ in my pocket.Dump it on ebay like you said.

p.s.what about the warrenty? can`t you have it fixed for good or even get a replacement? hmmmm.....
  9. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I was pretty mad when I wrote this thread but I did like the bass until I finally played a better bass. The Ergodyne is ok other than being made fairly cheapily. It was easy to play but Ibanez was all I had ever played. Once I got my hands on some better bases, (Better not necessarily more expensive.)I realized the deficiencies of the EDB. I guess Sam Ash is as much to blame as anything. If they sold some better bases I might have bought a better one. It's ok now. I found a great shop and I have another bass I love. Did anyone notice how I didn't blame any of this on myself? :)
  10. i have a ergo dyne bass and mine has a metal jack!! so maybe yours is just f**ked up!! well i actually have the edb400 which is the old one ut it is not even as good as the new one but sounds beter then yours!! but i rather use a musicman bass they are much beter!!
  11. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I like basses that plug in on the front of the body. This way you don't have to worry about setting your guitar down and putting wear and tear on your plugs and jacks. Everyone knows how wires like to twist right? I swear this acts as a screwdriver and loosens the jacks. Why don't they just put some type of lock on them. Like a pin or something? Or am I the only damn one? But almost all basses I like plug in on the bottom. What are you gonna do?
  12. Put some superglue on the nut that will make the jack stay in place until you get rid of it. Otherwise change to metal.:)
  13. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Conklin Groove Tools basses have locking jacks. You might be able to get a locking jack to replace your's.
  14. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Thanks cornbread. I'll have to get some. I have a bad habit of setting bases down on the floor and loosening the jacks. The Ibanez jack is still junk!
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

freddy, I am no big fan of the Ergodynes, but a lot of lower priced basses have a cheap plastic sleeve jack with a plastic mounting plate.

I have on old Peavey Foundation that had the same type of setup, it broke, I went down to the local music store, got a metal plate for $2.50 and a decent jack for $4.50, installed them myself and fixed the problem for under $10.00.

I wish that manufacturers would use more expensive parts, but my point is, dont get down on the bass because of one crappy part. I have never had any problems with the jack on my old Peavey since I replaced it 10 years or so ago.
  16. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    The more expensive Ibanez Basses (e.g. the btb series) have a mechanism to lock the jack (something by Neutrik).

I for myself am satisfied with the plug on the bottom of the bass. I use a plug which is angled 90° so its no problem.

For my custom made one it has a XLR plug. Therefore I use an angled plug too.

After all just look for the right plugs :)
  17. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Yeah, I did like the thing until I bought something I liked better. Ignorance is bliss. I'll probably fix it and get rid of it just so I can get a Cirrus or a Warwick. G.A.S! I Now that I have my amplification set up the way I want I have Carte Blanche on a new bass! You gotta have goals.
  18. Brian Creek

Brian Creek

Jan 20, 2001
    I'm sorry man but I think that you are wrong about the Ibanez Ergodyne I have played a few and some friends of mine have Ergodyne's and they are impressed. On the point that Ergodyne's are made of a plastic your right but as for cheap your wrong it is a mixture of chemicals and plastics and also some polyurethane so no it's not a real cheap plastic. You are probably right on the fact that a wood body will hold up better.
  19. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    It's made of wonderous luthite. <---- All rights reserved. I actually like the body of it. It looks good.
  20. go with fender
    you could throw a fender out of a two story window and i would just be a little scratched

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.