Seller on crack??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Mar 27, 2005.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Looks like it says Ibanez on the headstock. They call it a lawsuit because Ricky probably sued Ibanex over it. I don't know, just a guess, but one of the historians around here is sure to bring us up to speed.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, tis an Ibanez. In the 70's Ibanez made all kinds of copies, like Les Pauls, P-basses, Jazz basses and even Rickenbackers. They got shut down after a couple years because these instruments were cheaper, and sometimes as good if not better than the American equivalent. Lawsuit instruments are great for the money.

Now as far as it not bearing "any likeness to anything that anyone else has ever made" the seller is on crack.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rick usually has those pulled as soon as they are listed. Maybe it survived because it doesn't say 'Rickenbacker' anywhere in the ad?

Perhaps this wording kept it from getting pulled. 'This is a late 70's bass from Ibanez that bares no likeness whatsoever to anything that anyone else has ever made!'
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Pretty funny, hope the Rickenbacker guys won't pull this one. :D
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    sometimes i really wish i had money to burn. i would love to have that thing hangin around my house - cuz that's pretty much all it would probably do.
  7. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    What I don't get is why someone would bid up to $330 for a copy thats a bolt-on. That is silly in my opinion. I had a rick copy by Aspen and sold it for 200 bucks. It was different sounding and interesting, just not a true copy of the original.
  8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Nice flame maple neck. You don't see that on a real one.
  9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    E-bay is pretty good at pulling adds that cross list in the title for free. They consider that a type of spam. What is funny is that it is obvious it is a Ric copy, but to poke at the censors from E-Bay the advertiser played it as a unique one of a kind. IMO - Pretty funny~! :hyper: :D
  10. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    I also thought Ebay didnt allow mentions of the real brands the copies were based on. But im thinking of getting an off brand and that's all you see in the titles now, even if the "real name" has nothing to do with the copy!
  11. ewwww that a terrible thought. i just bought a rick and i'm so happy. if ibanez did copy it, shame on them. that bass doest look nearly as good as a real rick either.
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That Ibanez would replace yout Bongo so fast, you're Sterling would cry.
  13. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Whoa - I think it worked. Doesn't look like it's going down...