Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sellers on ebay think they are slick

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Other than making another user id to bid up their own product, I found out that they also use a maximum bid to win their own product and offer you a second chance from your max bid.

So if an auction were to end at 135 with your max bid up to 160, the seller will outbid you thus making your max bid of 160 open and give you a second chance offering of that 160 when it was going to end at 135.

Cheap, cheap, cheap

2. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Report them to ebay.
    Also I'd email everyone else who bid and tell them too.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personlly, If I were bidding on the auction, it wouldn't bother me.
    If I bid $160.00, that meant I was comfortable spending that much money. If I didn't wanna spend that much, I wouldn't bid that much. :)

I wouldn't do a second chance offer, either. I'd tell him to leave negative feedback to the deadbeat seller and relist it. But he won't casue it "may" be one of the sellers second names.

4. scott917

scott917

Mar 13, 2005
    Houston, Tx.
    tell them no thanks, but you will give them $130 for it and see what they say. it is an old trick. a guy in my cousins office had it played on him, he passed on the offer. the thing is the seller has to pay the fees on it no matter what. so if they do this too many times it will get expensive quick.... i think that it is funny myself.

Scott

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They also think they're slick by having shipping on, say, a guitar be $150. Yeah...right.

6. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I agree with Nino--if you didn't want to pay a certain amount, don't bid that amount.

I also agree with Scott in that all of that effort and with all of the extra fees, it' pretty pathetic if not comical. I have enough issues paying for the auctions I legitimately sell, much less pay for fees on an item I would "sell" to myself. :rolleyes:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Shill bidding is against the rules on Ebay, but it is pretty hard to prove it when it occurs.

I am moving this to the Miscellaneous forum.