1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(SELLERS REMORSE) Have you ever sold a bass...

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by jlepre, May 29, 2012.

1. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    ...and wanted to stop the whole deal?

I just sold one of my SR5's, and am having sellers remorse. Would it be wrong to refund the buyers money, and cancel the whole deal?

Would I get negative feedback?

Would it just be wrong?

Comments?

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You better ask the buyer these questions.
    Any other opinion here really doesn't matter.

3. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    I'd explain to the buyer & refund their money, any decent person would understand.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Thanks guys,

I had planned to ask him before proceeding with any action. I just wanted my fellow TBers opinions, and if they ever had this situation.

5. No, yes, possibly, and yes.
    Talk to the buyer, maybe he'll let you slide, but chances are if he bought it, he actually does want it. In which case you have to let it go.

6. LexD

LexD

Aug 17, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    Cash has a way of smoothing over hurt feelings.

Perhaps if the buyer is really bummed you could offer them 5-10-25 bucks (as well as an apology) for you're mental error. Even if it's 5 bucks and the buyer refuses --at the very least it'll show you put forth an effort to ensure his satisfaction.

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    What actually happened is that I was selling the bass to raise funds for a cab here on TB. As soon as I sold the bass, the next day my cab that I had on here for sale finally sold.
    What I had intended to do was sell the bass for the cab. Then when the cab finally sold, use THOSE funds to buy another backup bass.
    Stupid idea, I know...but that DAMN G.A.S!

8. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If I were the buyer, I'd probably be ticked. He got the cash together and sent it to you after you offered it for sale. You accepted payment, that's pretty much a closed contract. Talk to the buyer, but it's really his bass now.

EDIT: just read your for sale post where you said it was a backup and didn't get much play time. Honestly, and it's just my opinion, I'd really be upset if I were the buyer. But maybe they'll be cool. Maybe they're having buyer's remorse.

9. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Update: I just shipped the bass.

10. You did good.

11. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    +1 - right is right :bassist:

12. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    +2

13. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I did learn a valuable lesson. G.A.S. is a very strong force. Think wisely before you post ANYTHING for sale.

14. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Oh and I never even approached the buyer with my thoughts of backing out. I just put myself in the buyers place, and realized that I would be upset if it happened to me.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well done sir, well done.

16. I'll second this.

17. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Let me finish by saying the buyer got an amazing bass. I started getting sellers remorse when I was inspecting the bass right before packing her away in her case. What nice birdseye maple on the back of that smooth neck.

If I have one recomendation it would be play what ever you're THINKING of selling/trading BEFORE listing it.

18. JimFog

JimFog

Sep 8, 2000
    Phila, Pa
    I just had this happen on an Avatar TB153 that I really wanted. Seller backed out 5 days after I paid, and came up with a BS story about shipping being almost $300 dollars (instead of the quoted $80). He did refund my money, but I was left with a sour feeling about the whole thing, mostly because of the deceptiveness. If he had been honest about having 2nd thoughts, I would have let him off the hook. I just wish there was a way to leave feedback for a non-sale.

19. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Well I recently had a seller tell me that shipping on a 38 pound cab was going to be over $120! Then comes to find out that he was using an oversized box where it was 9" too long. It was giving an oversized charge of $55! Once the seller cut the box down, the shipping dropped to about $60.

20. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toxic, Maryland
    Somebody did it to me once on a 50th Ann P Bass. I was disappointed but totally understood. What ticked me off is that when he refunded the money Paypal put a freeze on it for about a week or so. So no bass and no money.
    :mad:
    But I played it cool and it was over soon enough.

Ended up getting a Nordy VP5 instead so I'm OK on that count.

That said - the one seller's remorse that still lingers with me is a 20th Ann SR5... Wish i had a do-over on that one.