Seller's Remorse Much Too Late

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianrost, Dec 12, 2005.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A couple of years ago I was convinced that I would never again have any need for my Steinberger L2 fretless (already a rare bird at the time) so I sold it for what was at the time a very good price and kept my fretted one.

So this weekend I just joined a band where that bass would have been PERFECT. The band will be doing a good amount of air travel and an L2 can be stowed in the overheads plus it's resistant to climate changes.

My usual rule is never sell something you can't replace for similar money but at the time I hadn't used a fretless on a gig for almost 10 years. I might be able to locate another one but if so it'll easily be $600-1000 more than I got for the one I sold.

Am I bummed? You bet :(
  2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    On the other hand, my system of never getting rid of gear isn't always the best, either. Things start to pile up.

But I love 'em all, so I doubt I'll ever change.

3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Brian -

Interesting that you'd post this. I am going through my first set of experiences with "thinning my herd" of basses. That's an excellent rule and one I'll definitely keep in mind!
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I made the HORRIBLE mistake of selling my red Streamer Stage 1 5 with the Basslines system. I have regretted it evr since, and probably will until the day I die, unless of course I find it on I was lucky enough to get a natural colored one with the same system, and she ain't going nowhere! :scowl:
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I regret selling a 1964 Fender P-bass to my guitarist brother. It's beat up as heck, but tone and playability are amazing. That said: I wouldn't want to risk taking that bass out on gigs, and more importantly, I no longer play four-bangers anyway. So my main regret is that it would've been a great investment to hang onto... and a nice conversation piece besides.

I sold it to my brother under the condition that he sell it to no one else but me, so he can't really cash in that investment. But I can't afford to buy it back from him. So I guess that bass is now just a family heirloom.