1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

(Seller's Remorse) Oh My God, what have I done?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex1984, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I just parted with an old friend yesterday, my very first SVT-II non-pro.

So the story starts with me moving. My gf's been bugging me about selling some stuff, and with an vintage SVT, an SVT-VR, I figured I'd sell the II. Shortly after, a local buyer replied with interest, since he's been looking for the SVT-II for years. In the meanwhile, I realized we have enough space to store all my gear and we aren't really in a need for cash, I talked to my gf about keeping the SVT-II, and she agreed.

However, in the end, after seeing how stoked the other fellow is, I felt I couldn't deprive him of the pleasure. And he stuck with the deal and picked it up last night.

Apparently she meant a lot more to me than I realized, and I now feel like a chunk of me is missing. I told the buyer if at any point he doesn't want it anymore, I'd buy it back.

Rant over, any thoughts?

2. Doh!
    You didn't owe the prospective buyer anything.
    You could have just said that, "you changed your mind."
    Try and get it back, otherwise love the one you're with.

S

3. Fear of "sellers remorse" is why I've never sold anything, though I probably should. My poor ASAT doesn't get the lovin she deserves and I've got a Workingman's 15'' combo that will most likely never get used again.

joe

4. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Dude...I feel your hurt. It is hard to sell our children. I guess thats why I have accumulated so many. But every so often, I cry over my long lost 1972 V4B. Bought it for $500, sold it a month later for $700. That $200 bump in my wallet is long gone, but not the memories.

Best solution......find another! Always fun.

5. Feel bad for you. It will pass.

6. I've sold stuff and regretted it, but now the bottom line is this:

I have lots of stuff. Too much stuff. Way too much stuff. And life is short, and I cannot continue to clutter my life up with every single piece of gear imaginable. So reluctantly I've come to the realization that I've got to pare down my "collection" of stuff.

Do I wish I could've kept more of the stuff I've sold? In a way, yes. But I've got to move past the concept of gear "hoarding".

7. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    It happens - been there/done that! One can't, however, live in the past. Move on...there's always something just over the next hill ;)

8. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That's it exactly. It will pass. And you made another player happy.

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If this is your biggest trouble, today is a very good day :)

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep, less is more.

11. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yeah, I felt I was able to spread the joy, but I do miss it quite a bit. Hope I'll stumble upon another one.

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if you still have a vintage SVT and a VR, i'd say good riddance to the SVTII (non pro). while i do think that the SVTII's are really great amps, IMO, it's completely unnecessary to own one if you have the other two.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    100% agreed! You made someones day. Smile and be happy! After all, how many amps can you play through at one time?

14. And you ended up selling the AMP ?

Just kidding, I have been there=done that. You will get over it.

15. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    There's a couple on Craigslist not too far from me...if you need another one I'll forward the ads to you. :)

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You are stocked on awesome tube heads.

I had to sell my first (totally pristine) Mesa Bass 400 that I loaded with KT-88's. Major regrets, I needed the cash for rent though. Two years later I am back in gear with an uglier cigarette-smelling Bass 400. I'm going to stop thinking about this, I had a way more personal relationship with my first one.

17. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Rhinebeck, NY
    ^ This.

Sometimes I think back on things I've sold, and think "Man, I wish I still had that now!" but overall, I'm amazed at how easily things can slide away. They're just stuff.

18. I just keep a big wad of cash in a clip in my front right hand pocket. When I feel sellers remorse coming on a little, I just reach in and rub it. Get some weird looks when I do it in public but it makes me feel better.:D

19. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    60s Bassman and large 212 cab
    69 Vox 12-string acoustic electric
    60s Gibson 12-string acoustic
    74 Tele Custom
    70s Super Reverb

Sigh [weeps frantically:bawl:]. I know the feeling.

Call that guy back right now! And BEG. Offer him more to get it back. If that doesn't work, offer him EVEN MORE! Do it before he's had it too long or disappears.

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

My only real case of sellers remorse was over an 800rb a few years back. Had plenty of stuff since then and liked it, but, I found a wnderfully clean 800 a couple weeks ago, the situation was right, so I bought it. This one isn't going anywhere.

That said, I'm really one of these guys who hangs on to too much stuff. Picks up stuff because it's a good deal and can always think of ways to put it to use. I'm discovering how bad this has gotten now also cleaning, inventorying in preparation to also move our household. I just have to say to myself, "I have too much stuff, I really don't need all this stuff". Most of it is decent stuff, I don't really want to part with most of it, but no, I can't play 4 amps at the same time. I really don't "need" a dozen speakers, etc. I may as well turn some of it into cash to re-invest in making my good stuff even better and in the process, let somebody else enjoy some of this stuff, or let some kid get a decent gig rig they need that really can't afford really nice, new stuff.

It's all about stuff.......

George Carlin Talks About "Stuff" - YouTube

Maybe that ^^ will help put things in perspective.