Selling 2 basses to get 1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5bassman, Aug 19, 2005.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Am I crazy? I've decided to sell my Sadowsky MV5 and Lull P5 to get a MTD 535 I've never played! I've read great stuff about them and once owned a custom Tobias. The bass is beautiful and has alot of upgrades on it. Has a top and back on it that is not seen very often. This is the only way I can afford to get it! :crying: :D
  2. I wouldn't without trying it first. If you don't like it you'll likely get hosed trying to resell it. The two basses you have should be worth quite a bit more than the MTD as soon as that bass isn't new anymore.
  3. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    I will have a 48 approval on the MTD
  4. I've done it before, but I'm known to be pretty crazy :smug:
  5. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    I do love how the Sadowsky plays. The MTD sold new for $4200 and played for 7 hours. A guitar player thought he wanted to play bass but then his wife bought him a new guitar. Now it's on consignment.
    I do have a hard time deciding which bass to play at times. I will probably buy it before mine sell. Mine are in the sell section now. Here is a link to the bass.
  6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Hmmm, I'd probably do it for an MTD...... :eyebrow: wait*........, I HAVE done it for an MTD :eyebrow:* :bag:
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Don't do it.

I think between the Sadowsky and the Lull, you're set.

Even if the Tobias is better (and at that level, it's very subjective) it can't make up for the advantage of having a great main bass and a great backup. A bass you can't afford is a bass you can't afford to replace.

Hope this helps.
  9. I've heard MTD's are Love/ in between. I know they tend to be "hot", that is no forgiveness for any sloppiness. I personally never played one but I'm sure it would expose all my flaws. :bawl:

Buying without playing is tricky.... I bought a Lakland 55-94D off Seansbrew and although I had heard raves about them, it just wasn't for me. Thankfully I sold it for what I got it for so "no harm-no foul".
  10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. Even though I'd sell both of my MusicMan basses to put towards another Roscoe in a heartbeat; you have 2 great basses in your Lull and Sadowsky. If it were my decision, I'd keep the Lull and Sadowsky, and save up the cash to buy an MTD at a later time. A nice MTD shouldn't be too hard to find when you have the funds available.

- Art
  11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well if it were me I would do it in a heartbeat. But that should really have no bearing on what you do.
  12. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    IMO...You are better off selling your lull & saving the balance for a used MTD. You should be able to find one quite easily. In the mean time, find one & try it out.

I would keep the sadowsky because trans white/ash/tort/maple is just the sweetest color combo (IMO). I think if I had a bass like that, I would not be able to put it down....Even with an MTD sitting next to it.

Correct me if Im wrong, but you recently purchased both of these, right? I would spend some time with them first. In my experience its better to play a bass for a while to get used to it b4 deciding to trade.

The good thing about either of those is that even if you wait a year, the resale value will still be great.
  13. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I've been considering selling my old steinie L2 (which was overhauled by peekamoose last year) and also my 75 fender jazz (currently being cleaned up/set up at Hambone's) to justify getting a new sadowsky. I figure I really don't use either one so I might as well get rid of the two and get one nice bass that will be put to use. So no, I don't think that selling 2 basses to get one is crazy at all :D
  14. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    The Lull and the Sad both play great! I added an Sad Outboard Preamp for the P5 and what a sound! I traded for both of these recently to get rid of two other basses I had and I came out very good. I really don't need two basses. One would work out just fine and I do like that MTD!
  15. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I would do whatever YOU feel that would make YOU happy. If you can't stop dreaming of owning an MTD... then go for it.

You do have two sweet basses, but if you're just not completely satisfied with them, well, then that's just not gonna go away.

I bought a new MTD a couple of years ago. Never played one, never even saw one in person, but I had to have it. A beautiful blueburst 535... waited about 4 months for it. I recieved it and absolutely loved it... BUT, I just couldn't get into the whole 5 string thing. I just like my 4 strings and money was getting tight, so I sold it. I still question myself all the time as to why I sold it, I still regret it. But, I did get a sweet Metro(identical to yours, but 4 stringer). I love the Metro so that helps take some of the sting out of it. Do I regret selling it? Yeah, but it just wasn't my cup 'o' tea.
    Do I regret buying it? No way. Live and learn.

This site makes it really tough to be GAS-free. I'm always wanting something different, something new. Don't need anything, but I sure do want some new stuff. Either get that MTD, or quit coming here :D
  16. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    You should consider this bass!
  17. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    All that work and money and they still left one of the strings off! :scowl:
  18. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've had/have a whole lot of really nice basses. A few months ago I went to my friend's shop with 8 that I just didn't use very much anymore. Beauties each and every one but I didn't find myself reaching for them when it was time to play.

I've been perving for a pre-CBS Jazz for a long time. The short story is - after playing 5 of various vintages - a particular '62 (refin, refret but all there and all real) had the magic I wanted. I traded 4 (including a Smith EG) plus some real $$, but I have no regrets. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Get what you really want, and don't feel bad about offing basses you don't play very much. Sadowsky's and Lull's are top shelf, but so what? If they don't suit you enough to want to keep them, let them go.

MTD's are also beautiful instruments and are on my wish list, but I can wait a while longer now - maybe a long while. :D Some basses require you to try them - it's only after living with them that you can decide whether they are true keepers. This doesn't make them less great - they're just not for you.

Go for it.....
  19. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1 I sold a couple of my basses in the past to get an MTD535. Long Story short I now own 2 Laklands & 2 Sadowsky's. To me the MTD just has that 1 sound. You either will love it or hate it. I didn't like it that much but they are nice to look at ;)
  20. I tend to agree with Arthur U. Poon and JOEY SQUID here.....good advice from both......I have done the same thing due to a bad spat of GAS and I can't say I would blame you for getting the bass you want....However, my advice is to keep whichever of the 2 you currently have that you prefer because once they are gone they are gone!! I have had basses in the past that for whatever reason I got rid of and later regretted it.....Both the Lull and the Saddy would fall into that category for me later if they are both players.....I also agree that the MTD is a bit more of a 'one trick" pony and though it is a good "one trick" it is a bit more limited in its tonal palette than either the Lull or the Sadowsky (In my opinion of course!!!)....I like the idea of the Lull with the Sadowsky outboard and I especially like the idea of having a P and a J in my stable!! Hard call.....DON'T DO IT!!!! Good Luck!!