1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Selling a house

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, May 30, 2012.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    My wife and I have been contemplating selling our house. How do I find out what it's worth? Do I need to contact a real estate company?

2. Zillow and Trulia are good starter references. You can probably look up houses that sold in your area on your County's records website (if there is one). Definitely get a Real Estate agent. They'll be able to tell you quickly as well.

Your tax records should show you what your house is appraised at, by the state of course, and they're usually way high (both literally and figuratively). Higher home value, higher taxes.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Contact a realtor who knows your neighborhood. Zillow & Trulia have topical price data but a realtor (a full time agent) will be able to inform you of what buyers are looking for, their temperament and current financing options that buyers are using.

Each house is different, and pricing is subject to how attractive each home is.

All of these things can help you devise an effective marketing strategy & keep the tire-kickers at bay as well as the unqualified strangers who want to see (case) your home under the pretense of purchasing.

Disclaimer: I am a licensed residential realtor...14 years now.

4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Zillow.com can show prices of homes that sold in your neighborhood recently.
    No.
    There are books/websites out there on how to sell your own home.
    If there is a help-u-sell office in your area, you can use them to help you sell your home and then the 3% seller fee is eradicated but there's a flat fee by help-u-sell, but that's not close to 3%. I used help-u-sell to sell my last home.
    Going to century21, remax, or an independent real estate office is good to use as a seller agent and is the traditional way to sell your home.

5. Is it a good time to be doing that? You could take a hit.

6. If you have the means, contact a real estate appraisal company. Have it professionally appraised, and use that price as a basis for your sale price. Add 10% to the appraised cost, so the buyer thinks they are getting a deal.

The cost might be a couple hundred bucks, but you will have actual documentation from an established source on the estimation of the value of the house. This is better than the guesses of a real estate agent, no matter how experienced they are.

7. I used to be a realtor here in Mass. Market sux and since it was a side gig I didn't renew my license last year.

Ask people you know about agents in your area. This is a good way to find one that has a good reputation. Most offices should offer a free market analysis up front to find a reasonable asking price. Appraisal value and market value are 2 different things. Nice to have an appraisal in hand but just because your house appraises at $100K dollars doesn't mean you will sell for the same amount.

We never guessed on a price. We used comps, local knowledge of the market and some of the same tools an appraiser uses to come up with a figure. In the end if you sign with an agent you set the price regardless of what their analysis says. Period. You are the principle and what you say goes.

Good luck,

Jeff

8. Selling with Isoldmyhouse.com or another service will get you into the MLS and whatnot. You just better hope that becuase you are not experienced in the selling process that you do not make a mistake or oversight that costs you thousands of dollars and stresses you out. A good realtor will do their best to make sure everything is done right and takes alot of pressure off a FSBO.

9. To the OP: the real question is:
    A) Do you want to find out for how much you can sell your home?
    Or
    B) Do you want to find out the value of your home?

If you need the answer for A) - get a reputable real estate agent, someone who actually know the area and is making a living with it, not something they do on the side. The 3% is well worth it, because they will actually try to market and advertize your home on more sites than craigslist and forsalebyowner.com, also they will make sure that all the papers and contracts are in order. If they know what they are doing, they will be able to tell you how to price your home, although you may disagree with their estimate.

If you need the answer for B) than find an appraisal company and contract them to do an appraisal of your home. It may or may not indicate for how much your house will sell.

As a professional Real Estate Appraiser I would tend to disagree. Yes, an appraisal would show the value of the home at that particular time it was done, but if the house is on the market for let's say 3 months, the market maybe changed (let's say one of the neighbors on the same street got relocated and sold the house for less than other comparable homes in the area) so the appraisal is not the indication of current value of the home. Also that appraisal cannot be used by anyone except by the person who contracted the appraiser for the assignment, unless specified beforehand. Even prospective buyers will not be able to use that appraisal, because their lender uses their own appraisers for valuation work.

10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Well, help-u-sell assists with listings and with the legal aspects of the closing so as not to put the seller in a bind. I wouldn't do it myself for the reasons you stated.
    I was just saying it's an option. The OP can do whatever he fells most comfortable doing.

11. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Contact 3 Realtors. Ask them to make their pitches to you. You'll learn a lot.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions on what I need to do. We purchased our house 21 years ago and raised two children in it. It is now too big for the two of us and my knees hurt climbing the stairs. We love the neighborhood but aren't phyiscally able to do all the things to keep it up.