Selling a modified bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexander, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I am considering selling my Warwick Thumb BO 4 - it is in near perfect condition. A question I have is this - I had a pro set-up/shielding job done by Mike Lull and he replaced the stock MEC pups/pre-amp (which I thought were junk) with Bartolini hum-canceling pups and pre-amp as well. In my opinion, the bass is better than a new one. Does making modifications like this tend to increase or decrease the resale value (I still have the stock electronics as well)? Is $1000 a fair price?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've found that modifying basses for the better generally doesn't increase the resale value. IMO it would be best to put the MEC's back in and sell the Barts seperately.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What he said..
  4. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    Why is that? If he upgraded to a superior preamp/pickups then why does that not add value?
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's not that they may not add value, it's just that you're more likely to make more money selling them seperately, and I think there's a bigger market for basses in their stock form. Bartolini's aren't loved by all and honestly, I would buy a stock Warwick over one with Barts for that reason, they're just not for me.

Upgraded basses tend to be a little more subjective to the user, and the more modifications, the lesser the market.