Selling an amp w/a 'glitch'

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Jan 28, 2006.

1. I hope I don't break any rules w/this. A friend & newly-supporting TBer has an SVT-3pro head w/a problem: In 3-4 years of very regular(6-8 hrs/week@Church)use, it has mysteriously stopped producing sound. Lights on, no noise. First time, toggling the mute switch made it go away(or it just happened to go away while toggling the mute:meh: ). Next time, it just started working again. We've had it checked by a licensed tech, who found nothing. Again,:meh: ... We've since replaced this head(we share bass duties at Church)- not so much due to the problem, but I went Eden, for the tone. Anyway, w/o lying or being misleading about the issue, what would you do to unload this thing, also w/o totally giving it away?
  2. Find out how much is wrong with it and deduct the amount needed to fix it from what it'd normally sell for. If not possible, Id let people know of the problem and just take the highest offer.

EDIT: Just saw you took it to a tech. I guess you should just tell the potential buyer of the problem, maybe take a bit off the price. Just see what happens. Put a disclaimer in the ad.
  3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Price it accordingly and accept the loss in value. It's well used and slightly damaged.
    Be honest about the problems you've had with the item, and I think potential buyers with a little repair skill would pay reasonable prices for an amp that seemingly needs a single switch replaced.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It may be tough to get decent money for it with an unknown issue.

You options are:

1. Fully disclose what you know, take offers for a week or two and decide if it is worth giving up for what you can get.

2. Get it repaired yourself and sell it for market value.

I'd be surprised if you were off more than $50 or so going either way.
  5. Yeah, there's no way I'm going to lie about it, particularly after telling the(TB)world already. As for getting it fixed- that was the idea when we took it in.:meh: I'll probably list it here- like I said, it belongs to aTBer who just donated to support today, so I'm not sure if I should list it just yet. Anybody like to fix hybrid amps in their spare time?;)
  6. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    First easy thing to check is to jumper or replace the mute switch and see if the problem persists. I may have just gotten dirty, and toggling it cleared it up, such that the tech could not find the problem. Cheap, and relatively easy to try, and the symptoms appear to point at least in that general direction.

- Tim
  7. Thanks, tadawson. My friend(the owner)is much more adept at electrical stuff, so I'll suggest that. He's a one-man-business, though so he's very busy- that's why I'll likely be advertising stuff for sale for him.
    And Chas, $50 would be no biggie; I've offered it as trade bait a few times, but no one has wanted to diddle w/the issue thus far.