Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selling and shipping...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Superfrappe, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Ok guys and gals, It's already been established that I'm selling my Rick. I've decided to move on to a 5 string, and try out different sounding basses in the process. Here's the ebay link if any are interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=906721275

In my auction I stated that I'd ship to the US and Canada only (to keep it simple, and I rarely sell on ebay anyhow) yet today I got an email from a gentleman in Germany who wishes to purchase the Rick. He says he'll place his bid and pay w/ PayPal, if I agree to ship the bass to him in Germany after the close of the auction.

My question is: Have any of you ever shipped a bass or anything of value overseas? Any idea on the base cost? Is there a lot of red tape? Is it really that much of a hassle?

I've got 3 days left on my auction, and I'd like to get this guy an answer within say 24 hours...

All your advice and stories(good OR bad) is appreciated. Thanks a bunch. :D

2. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    ups/fedex will ship worldwide,if the person from germany wants the bass,email them back stating he/she is responsible for all fee's/taxes/insurance(recommend), basically everything. and you can estimate the shipping by going to ups/fedex websites and type in the box deminsions/weight and destination,it will give you the price.i have shipped to europe in the past,its no big deal just make sure its packed well, . good-luck..

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I shipped a bass to the UK. Twice. Same bass. The first time the US Postal Service (best rate, @ $109 for a 21 pound box) got it there but some how screwed up the delivery. The other package that was shipped with the bass arrived fine. About 4 or 5 months later the bass showed up at my doorstep.

USPS for some reason DOES NOT internet track international shipments.

I reshipped using UPS. About $180 plus for a 21 pound package. Arrived in less than a week and I was able to follow it over the internet.

When I ship basses, I loosen the strings to where they're barely on and put bubble wrap or cloth between the strings and fretboard. Sometimes I put shipping peanuts in the case. I put shipping peanuts and/or shredded newspaper in the cardboard box that the case is placed in and tape the hell out of the corners.

Peace,

James

4. Thanks for the info malthumb. :D

...why do you loosen the strings before shipping? Wouldn't a cloth between the board and the strings suffice?