Selling and shipping...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Superfrappe, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Ok guys and gals, It's already been established that I'm selling my Rick. I've decided to move on to a 5 string, and try out different sounding basses in the process. Here's the ebay link if any are interested:

In my auction I stated that I'd ship to the US and Canada only (to keep it simple, and I rarely sell on ebay anyhow) yet today I got an email from a gentleman in Germany who wishes to purchase the Rick. He says he'll place his bid and pay w/ PayPal, if I agree to ship the bass to him in Germany after the close of the auction.

My question is: Have any of you ever shipped a bass or anything of value overseas? Any idea on the base cost? Is there a lot of red tape? Is it really that much of a hassle?

I've got 3 days left on my auction, and I'd like to get this guy an answer within say 24 hours...

All your advice and stories(good OR bad) is appreciated. Thanks a bunch. :D
  2. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    ups/fedex will ship worldwide,if the person from germany wants the bass,email them back stating he/she is responsible for all fee's/taxes/insurance(recommend), basically everything. and you can estimate the shipping by going to ups/fedex websites and type in the box deminsions/weight and destination,it will give you the price.i have shipped to europe in the past,its no big deal just make sure its packed well, . good-luck..
  3. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I shipped a bass to the UK. Twice. Same bass. The first time the US Postal Service (best rate, @ $109 for a 21 pound box) got it there but some how screwed up the delivery. The other package that was shipped with the bass arrived fine. About 4 or 5 months later the bass showed up at my doorstep.

USPS for some reason DOES NOT internet track international shipments.

I reshipped using UPS. About $180 plus for a 21 pound package. Arrived in less than a week and I was able to follow it over the internet.

When I ship basses, I loosen the strings to where they're barely on and put bubble wrap or cloth between the strings and fretboard. Sometimes I put shipping peanuts in the case. I put shipping peanuts and/or shredded newspaper in the cardboard box that the case is placed in and tape the hell out of the corners.

4. Thanks for the info malthumb. :D

...why do you loosen the strings before shipping? Wouldn't a cloth between the board and the strings suffice?