Selling "As Is" gear on the TB Classifieds?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob_Ross, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    This is perhaps an odd question – I’ve never sold anything before that wasn’t in perfect working condition, and I’ve never bought anything second-hand that wasn’t listed as “Very Good” or “Excellent” condition – so I’m not familiar with the precedents if any.
    I have a piece of equipment that I no longer use, that I’d like to sell, that I know would appeal to certain buyers…but that doesn’t work perfectly. (It works, but intermittently.) I have no intention of being deceptive or not being completely up front about the condition of the unit. I intend to use the phrase “As Is” numerous times in whatever For Sale ads I put up, I intend to describe the symptoms of its less-than-perfect performance, I intend to include some suggestions on how I would refurbish the unit to get it to 100% working condition, and I intend to price it considerably below the going rate for a 100% working second-hand unit in Very Good condition.
    I’m not sure if I’m asking an ethical question or a logistical question, but…does anyone see this as being a problem?
    I realize that buyers on Craig’s List or eBay are notorious for not reading the fine print, and so I’m sure I’ll have to weed out a lot of bozos and tire-kickers who somehow expected this thing would work perfectly no matter how many caveats to the contrary I include in my ad copy.
    I also feel like the Classifieds on TalkBass attract a more intelligent customer and so I’d like to think reading comprehension wouldn’t be such a problem if I posted my ad here…but because I feel that this site is more of a family or community than Craig’s List or eBay, I’d prefer not to risk a negative reputation as “that guy who sold the crap that didn’t work.”
    Am I over-thinking this? Does semi-non-working gear get sold “As Is” around here all the time?

Just looking for suggestions on the most effective and drama-free way to unload this piece of gear. Thanks.

2. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Gold Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    IMO, if you're clear up front, that should be enough (especially considering HOW clear you intend to be). However, you could always reinforce the as-is condition in any conversations from interested buyers.
    I have done that, and have also had that done for me here. Never experienced an issue.
    Disclaimer: I actually have a piece of gear currently listed "as-is." :)

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    "as-is" ads should have full & complete disclosure and an exceptional discount in the pricing, IMHO. those are the deals i look for!

4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I certainly have no problem with gear listed "as is", so long as the description includes full disclosure of the known issues.

5. Yeah, there is nothing worse than when a listing says 'Selling this for a friend' 'I have no idea about these things' 'Can't plug it in to try' selling as is.

Which I see a lot more of over on eBay.

6. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    An ad listing it in that manner, warts and all, should connect to a person who, say, enjoys rebuilding gear and obtaining it at a steep discount. But it won't hurt to make sure that the buyer really gets it before completing the transaction...

As for the 'bay, yes, there's a fair amount of the vague description sort of thing that seems more dubious - but sometimes it means you can pick a thing up for peanuts, and occasionally it's not actually broken, but nobody else would bid on it because of the suspicious description. Just have to avoid the high-priced first-bid versions of that, and figure that some will, in fact, be broken hunks of coal, not diamonds in the rough.

I've had far worse problems ('bay) with poor packing (shattered remains of "whatever" that was fully working when bid on show up - seller says "get your money from UPS" I point out that UPS pays the shipper (them) not the recipient (me) - months of BS and a refund under the wire only after filing a dispute (which I won't do until it's really crystal clear that the seller is not merely slow and clueless, but actually deceptive and unwilling to resolve issues.)

7. Yeah, I often find that if the seller avoids contacting the shipping company it likely means they didn't bother paying for the appropriate service.

I think some sellers just guess the shipping.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021