Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selling basses to guitar shops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lakerkobe, Jul 19, 2002.

1. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    What should someone expect to be paid for an instrument at a guitar shop? If I were to walk into your average guitar store with a bass that lists for say 1700 but likely actually sells for 1100... and asked them to buy it... what could I expect?... say with a rating of 8 out of 10 in condition for example.

2. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I suppose I am asking.. would it be THAT much less than eBaying it?

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes! Expect to lose out big-time!! That is if they buy it at all - many times I have taken basses to shops and they just don't even want to hold them - we've got too many of those, why should we want that!

Over the years I have lost so much money though trading and re-selling musical equipment! :mad:

Seriously, a shop has to :

pay taxes, rent
    pay its staff and administrators
    pay for expenses - lighting,displays etc
    make a profit or it shuts down!

All these things are coming off the price they will pay you!

4. generally they'll give you half of what they can sell it for, and they'll sell it for right around the same price you would on ebay....

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    right, they would probably offer you $400-$500, if they would even buy it at all. You are beeter to sell it out right or trade it on the net.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well.. I just traded my stingray in.. and Bob from bass palace gave me $1189 for it.. i paid $1325... I didn't take a huge loss.. especially considering the bass i got in return :)

7. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    if you trade your bass in for other merchandise, they will generally give you a lot more than if you just ask for cash back.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That just means they must be taking a huge profit on the bass you are actually buying!! ;)

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Before selling your bass to a shop, consider putting an ad in the Classifieds here.

You'll get more than the shop will give you and the buyer can have it for less than the shop would charge.