1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Selling cabs vs. Trading them in

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Let’s say you have an old cab and would like a new cab. Would you prefer to sell them on your own locally, or trade them in towards a new cab. I am leaning towards trading in some cabs. You take a hit in price received but you don’t have to wait for a buyer or deal with a buyer or take any risks. I was thinking of going to GC to see what I can get. I have four 410 HE Ampeg cabs and am looking to get an Ampeg 810.

2. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    In my experience you'll lose 50% or more trading them in than you would selling them yourself. The reason is that they know what it's worth on the open market......and they give you half, if that. They need to make a decent profit and that's how it goes.

It's up to you. Sometimes it's just easier to take a loss and get what you want. But if I was selling any of my gear I'd put it out there for a while on my own first and see what happens.

3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    You might try offering a trade 410 for 810.

Mostly it’s about local drop off and pick up with cabs as shipping is killer.

If you’re in a small market than there’s not much chance..GC sounds good then.

4. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    If it wasn’t for shipping, I probably wouldn’t consider trading in...

jamro217 likes this.
  5. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I'm in the same boat and need to down size substantially but really, really hate the personal sale extravaganza.

6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    There was just a thread recently on how hard is is to get rid of large cabs. Apparently, they are now white elephants. Unable to ship affordably, or unable ship all together. One poster said GC didn’t even want their ‘fridge.

Seems the best advice is to accept that you will take a huge loss.

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO the decision would depend a lot on the market your in. Seems like Tampa is a big enough city where you could sell 410HEs locally fairly easily.

What benefit do you hope to gain by moving to an 810E. Same drivers and I believe the tuning is almost identical. The only advantage I can think of is the tilt to roll feature...and sometimes that is a liability.

8. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    If they don’t offer something reasonable, I will post them
    on Craig’s List. The 810 is built more like 4 210s and is completely sealed. The 410s are more open and have tweeters that can be turned off. The difference between 2 410s is subtle, but to me, the 810 sounds a little better. Also, I like the built in pully etc. They are pretty durable and work well. I like the towel bar. Lastly, I prefer the look.

basscapes likes this.
  9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I haven't done a comparison myself. The comparison reviews I have read between a pair of 410HEs (w/hornoff) and an 810E suggests the sound is almost identical with the 810E going just bit lower.

I think all of your preferences and reasons are totally valid, I would just personally struggle to take much of a loss to achieve the desired benefits. Your existing rig has certain advantages you will give up in the trade as well. But if it's worth it to you, go for it! I do like the way the 810E looks ;).

10. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    If I was in your specific situation where I live, then I would just trade them in. Large cabs really have become very difficult to sell without a loss. I can go on my local CL any day and see at least 3-4 Ampeg 810's on there for $350 or less....and they sit there for months! The only cabs that seem to sit longer are non-810 Ampegs. ;)

five7, basscapes and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Sounds like the OP needs to take a road trip to Ohio ;)!

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  12. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    hmm. i have a good deal on a trade for a Heritage 810 with some damage...

B04A7549-559A-46CC-8797-28A08754256D.

Wasnex likes this.
  13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Pretty much everyone swears the Heritage is "THE ONE!"

Mastermold likes this.
  14. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah I’m going for it. I’m trading these in:
    4EA99CA4-8A0D-4FAF-8EF6-BB8D9804A294.

For this (minus the amp):

12603242-B966-435A-BA61-BDD258127154.

Plus $500. Call me crazy, but I need to consolidate and this cab sounds sooo good.

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Tradeins only work when you're buying new and I buy almost everything used.

If you're only kicking in $500 then you're getting about $200 for each of your cabs which is higher than I would have expected from GC.

16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

@Mantis Tobaggan: I would do that trade too! All reviews I have read about the Heritage 810 cab have been *VERY* positive. @JimmyM says that it's the best cab Ampeg has ever made.

And regarding those dents in the cab......sheesh......totally trivial! In fact, it would put my mind at ease having those dents because then I wouldn't worry as much about banging it up myself since it already has a couple of marks! :thumbsup:

So grab that Heritage cab and rock it! :bassist:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    JimmyM and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  17. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I vote “trade”

Just went through this recently. After adding up the time it would take to clean stuff up, photograph it, write descriptions, post ads, communicate with potential buyers, set up time to meet them, get blown off, then finally hopefully get lucky with a serious buyer who shows up, selling didn’t seem worth it.

Cheez, SactoBass and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  18. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I'm with TCT on that! Trading in might result in slightly less value in the wallet, but there is also value in the simplicity of bypassing those potential headaches that TCT listed, and enjoying the relaxing ease of a trade in. A trade in is "bingo, you're done." I like that! :thumbsup:

19. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    Here's another way to look at it:

What's more valuable? your money or your time?

There were times in my life where my money was more valuable (i.e. waiting in line all night for a black friday deal)
    For the most part these days, my time is more valuable. For example, let's say I lost a couple of hundred dollars on a trade-in instead of selling it used.

Well, I can likely make another couple of hundred dollars somewhere down the line, but I can never get back a single tick of the clock. not one second.

So do I want to spend my time doing all the leg work of selling a cab? and potentially dealing with the pitfalls of not-serious looky-loos and all of that?

or trade the cabs in and be done with it in one fell swoop?

me? I don't have a lot of free time lyin' around, so I'll do the trade.

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends on whether what you have is marketable, and whether you are willing to wait. I'd rather take the time and sell them to get more.