1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Selling can be a drag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TNCreature, Jan 5, 2012.

1. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I am selling a new (played once) Modern Player Jazz. The company sent me the wrong color, and I didnt feel like dealing with shipping, etc. to send it back (bought it around Christmas time)

Dude locates me through TB (new user, no postings, no feedback) who lives in my area.
    These basses go for $499 everywhere new.
    I told him BEFORE HE CAME TO SEE IT that I want to sell it for $450 but if he was strapped for cash, I would go to $425 NO LOWER.

He had to see it ASAP.

I brought the bass, a small mixer, and headphones to my office, stayed late to meet him.
    He plays it, likes it and offers me $325 :spit:
    I said no, that it was an insulting offer.
    He calims that he can find it "everywhere" for less than I am selling it for. OK, then why are you here?
    He leaves, I am irrritated.

I know this is just part of selling basses, but come on already, please don't insult me and waste my time.

OK, rant is done. Thanks for listening.

2. I know what you mean. I sold a stainless steel fridge a couple of years ago and when I listed it, I listed the price as "firm" meaning, no negotiating. This guy emails me and we go back and forth a couple of times and he asks me in an email if I will go lower. I say "No, the price is firm, as the add says" So he says he wants to take it and can he come over and get it. Guy shows up and comes in to look the fridge over. He says he has to go back out to his truck and consult his partner. After 10 minutes, I open the door to look outside to see what he's up to and I see his truck pulling out of the driveway and driving away. What an a$$hat. At least have the stones to come back and tell me that you don't want it. I sold it for the asking price 5 days later.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    People do not come by to try out my basses. No reason. No how.

To many flakes. I'll meet them somewhere third party in a public area.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    It may be "new" as far as condition, however, it's not "new" as far as the market is concerned. New products come with a warranty and the ability to return them for a refund.

Seems to me that you traded your control over receiving a refund for a specific amount from a vendor for the joy of selling an item in a buyer's market where everything is negotiable (even when it's not). :eek:

What the potential buyer heard. You gave him hope.

Either you're firm on the advertised price or not.

Good luck with that.

5. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    [​IMG]

6. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    But selling does suck. I've been on both sides. As a buyer, I don't think 15% off an already good mail order price for a like new item is anything to complain about.

KO

7. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    A few weeks ago I had some Sabian AA cymbals on craigslist, hi-hats, ride, and 2 crashes, all in perfect condition. A guy in the area contacted me and said he was interested in the ride. So I invited him over and he smacked the heck outta the crashes for about 20 minutes, only hit the ride maybe 3 or 4 times. Then says,"my wife would kill me if I bought this," and walked out.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    This.

I always ask if a seller can go lower. I don't care if you say the price is firm in the ad. For all I know it's been on the market for 6 months and you're getting no bites, and would sell for much less than your ad states. I'm not going to pay $100 more for something because I didn't at least ask if you'd take less. You can say no, I don't get offended. Now, if I have go somewhere to meet someone for said item...I probably thought it was a good enough price in the first place and was willing to pay that amount. I've never walked away after meeting someone...

Haggling. It's just the way the used market works. Cars, houses, etc.

9. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I think I had the king of @$$hat buyers a few years ago

I had built a custom yamaha virago 1100 for a woman, then she was afraid to ride it. It had been lowered, custom pipes, all new paint (stripped and frame painted as well), all new wiring. Engine was freshened up. All lights were upgraded to HID and LED tail and blinkers. Even new seat..
    I listed it for just the price of the new tires, parts and paint $1,200... I had some guy send me an offer for "rock crawler" tires that he had taken off a suzuki samurai, not knowing that I had seen them listed for the past couple months for $400. I told him that they were too small for my pickup, and that even then I did not think we were in the same value range... He responded that he was a biker and he was a bad *** and that he was going to come rip my head off and defecate in the hole. After that, there was a steady string of emails from him, for the next week, harassing me. Every time I opened my laptop, there was another email...
    He had given me a phone number in the first email, so I tracked it. The next time he threatened me, I printed out all the threatening emails, and took them to his house. Luckily nobody was home, because I had no intention of being nice. I thought I was dealing with a kid, and I would be showing his parents the emails, and really raising *&%$...The following day I sent him a pic of the front of his house, and asked him if he still thought he was tough...

He called the sheriff...They laughed when they contacted me, and saw all the threats

EDIT...the guy who bought the virago, was shorter, so ti really worked for him. He also plays bass, and we have become friends

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Mistake #1: Not returning the bass.

If it seemed like too much hassle, ask yourself: how much hassle have you had by NOT returning it??