Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selling Car/Getting New One

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aaron, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Well after having a leak in the power steering system I have decided that having a German car is just too damm expensive to keep up. The blue book for the '95 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8 is $10,940, but it has a few nicks and minor dents here and there and it looks like there was some work done on the front bumper, but it runs well (other than having mineral hydraulic fluid leaking, which is being fixed). Is $8k a fair price?

And now I have the other side of the situation. Getting a new car. I'd like a small Japanese (or something reliable with cheap parts) car that gets at least 25-30 mpg, with quite a bit of storage capacity (for a DB, 2 210 cabs, 4-6 space rack, electric bass...) So what do you all recommend for what I can get from my Audi?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You could probably get a pretty nice mid to late 90s honda civic or accord.... those things are built to last.

My dad got a new civic in 1996, all he ever did was change the oil and tires and i think he had to change the batter once. Great cars... It gets 40 highway, 30 something city. Look decent, run good, dont break.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Oh, and I fit my peavey TNT and a bass in a gig bag in the trunk easy, and I can get it in the back seat too... so what you are talkin should be no problemo.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey bro.....assuming you get $8K for the Audi, how much of that goes to the next car purchase?

If you are using it all, you have all kinds of options. Heck, look at some of those Hyundai SUV's.

-Mike

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    $8k seems a little steep for a nine year old car with nicks, dents etc. You didnt mention haw many miles or options (leather, moonroof etc) either.
    A quick search on autotrader.com for 1995 A6's, I came up with three pages of them ranging in price from $12k to $1700, with the average being $7k. Look and see where your car falls in terms of condition, options and miles, and that may help you decide on a price to ask.

Ultimately, a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...=AUDI&address=14621&search_type=used&x=31&y=9

6. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    For $8k you could get yourself a great used Japanese car and still have around $3k left over.

7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Get a lincoln towncar. Big and roomy. you can fit all your gear in it.( we fit a drumet and 5 people in my car at the same time) and have a killer ride.

8. lollygagger

lollygagger Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    Queensland, Australia
    get a datsun 180b. they are quite reliable and cheap on fuel!

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We call 'em hooptees around here. :D

-Mike

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Aaron, are you looking to replace it with a new car or a "newer" used car? What kind of price range are you looking in? As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Mike Money ;), Hondas are very reliable, easy to maintain, and reasonable to pay for repairs/maintainence on.

I just went through this process a few months ago, ended up in the same place as several other TBer's (Brad Johnson, Dave Siff....), in a new Honda Element, IMO the ultimate gigger's ride.

If you're looking used, check out the Honda CRV as well. The Civic is a great ride, but if you're luggin' an upright, shoot for a smaller SUV-style vehicle for ease of loading & unloading.

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Getting "different" car, it will be used. New as in, "Hey, I got a new bass today!" Price range is what I can get for the Audi. Maybe less. I'd like to buy my own double bass with the cash from the car, but I will really need to persuade my parents on that one. I'd like to get something in that gas mileage range (I'm not sure if the CRV fits in there). My top choice right now is an Accord. I just saw a '95 in the paper for $4,500 with 80k miles, the EX series with leather. Maybe something like that.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Audi's are fun, but they are very expensive. I looked into them before I bought the BMW ( the quattro system rocks) and decided against one. I wonder if the Volkswagon golf has gotten any better recently?

13. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I always refer to one of those car buyers guides (the ones that include dealer price) or edmunds.com when buying/selling a car. I think you can go to Edmunds and fill out a form with your car's info and it'll give you a suggested price.

Tom

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yes you can. Also- look in your local paper(s) and find similar cars.

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    That doesn't help. :bawl: My car is simply the best I've ever been in, but the hose that had the leak in it cost $300, plus 5 hours of labor to get to it and hook it up. When I have the $$$, I'll be driving Audis. Getting a different German car would defeat the whole purpose of selling my car.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you're getting a new car for "practical" reasons. The car is going to look and perform in a "practical" manner. Sound investments are "smart" and usually a good idea. But, they are rarely fun or instantly gratifying.

Since you're lookin' to be "economical' and "practical", look at the 3 most reliable used vehicles: Toyota, Subaru, and Honda.

I have to admit, the NKTB; KIA and Hyundai seem to offer great value for entry level vehicles. Some entry-level Ford & GM cars do too, but the stateside automakers tend to lard them up with too many options in an attempt to make money off of them to keep them "practical" or "economical".

Oh Yeah, Good Luck selling the Audi.

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I always thought the same thing. It seems like car engineers are just putting ostentacious crap on cars to sell them. The most recent example is that mini-van that has the seat that flips back so you can sit in the back of the tail-gate. C'mon, do people really need to be ooohed and aaaahed by this kind of stuff?

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    They put things together in "option packages". Try to order an auto tranny, and being that's part of "option package 1", you also get air conditioning, tilt wheel, power mirrors, locks, windows, auto butt wiper, daytime running lights, AM/FM/CD/8 Track etc......... all for the (not) low price of $xxxx.

Too bad you can't option a car the way you would want it, rather than the way they think you should have it. I for one have no problem without air, tilt, cruise, and power everything, including a radio. Of course I know I'm in the minority with that opinion.