1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Selling CDs at shows: what's your price?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mambo4, Oct 1, 2009.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    My band is wrapping up our second EP and we'll be ready to hock our wares at gigs soon.
    We're a relatively unknown original indie band, and its a 4 song ep.
    I'm curious how much those of you who sell discs at shows (esp. in similar situations) charge for a disc?

is $5 usd a reasonable price for an EP?

2. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    5 bucks is a great price. ;)

Fred

3. Yes, it is reasonable ... we sell our self financed 6-song EP for 5 euro

4. sawgydawg

sawgydawg

Aug 4, 2009
    my band goes with $4 and we sell out. but @ this point growing is more important than making $$$

5. $5 sounds fine to me. My brothers band gives away demo cds with every shirt that the band sells. You could do something like that, if you have shirts.

6. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    we do 5 bucks for CD's 10 for shirts. 12 if you buy both. CD's are cheap to make, and depending on the stage your band is in, it's much more important to get your music out there than make a few extra bucks on selling merch.

7. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    5 bucks for CD's 10 for shirts & we always wheel & deal to give someone a deal.

a lot of times we will say CD's are 5 bucks but then we tell them to just take one & 9x out of 10 they pay the 5.

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    We have a seven song EP and we let people pay whatever they want to pay...name your price!

Honestly, you'll get more people wanting to look good giving you $5-10 or more than looking like a cheapskate and giving you $1, but the people who don't want to spend a lot can still get your music. Plus on the road, we've had people trade us for some whiskey, a joint maybe...;)

For us it's not about how much money we make back right now, it's about getting our band's music out to as many people as we can...on the other hand, it's pretty amazing how much more money we have actually made selling CD's since we've started doing this too.

For T-shirts and posters we still charge our regular prices, but when someone throws in another couple bucks for a CD, it's a win-win

9. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    this.

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    We say a buck a song so our 5 song EP is ...ta-da $5.00 which sounds good for you too. One thing is how is it made? Is it a CDR in a plain white sleeve or a DIY or something you had done thru say disk makers etc. I wont pay much or anything for a DIY. I will pay for a good produced CD thou.

11. We sold our 5 song EP for $5.00 (now sold cheaper as a download card). Our CD's and T-shirts are 15.00. The CD's are not DIY.

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Is there consensus as to who the best supplier of band t-shirts is? My band has just begun talking about this. Thanks!

13. I recently left a band that was selling a 3 song demo disc for donations. We averaged about $3.50 per disc. They were color CDs in white paper envelopes.

All proceeds from the CDs and everything else went straight into the singer's wallet. By pure coincidence, everybody in that band recently left that band.

14. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I've seen $5 and name that price schemes both work well for bands.

OT: Jazzdogg, look for local companies and ask for quotes. If you do two or three quotes you're bound to find someone that will give you a good price. Personally, I've always had the best luck with http://www.austinscreenprinting.net/

15. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    A guy I sub for just started selling his entire catalog (some 17 CDs + art) in mp3 form on cheap flash drives for 35 bucks. He still sells mostly CDs @ $10.

16. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    We don't make eps but for a regular album we charge $15 US or 15 Euros. Tshirts are $15.

17. fractal0243

fractal0243

Nov 26, 2007
    Syracuse, NY
    With the band I used to play in (see "burned" thread), we would charge $5 for a 12 song cd. Sometimes if we played venues that sold tickets, we would pre-sell tickets and give away a cd with them. It worked out pretty well.

18. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Thanks all for the replies.

We will be selling them with "radiohead" pricing: pay what you feel its worth.

We will also have t-shirts! After years of gigging, this is my first band that had t-shirts made. feels like a milestone of some kind...

19. That's actually a really good idea.

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Yeah, it's the best way to sell CD's IMO - it's not about making your money back. A CD is an investment. I'm surprised more people don't try it...:meh: