Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selling Cirrus - Getting a Fender P or J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sundogue, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I think I am going to sell my Peavey Cirrus 5 string (anyone interested?) and going back to a more traditional sound and feel.

I'm thinking either a Fender Precision or maybe a Jazz. I've played around on some Jazz's and I've owned Precisions before. I'm not sure which one I'd go for this time around.

Anyone have a preference for either? Why?

Also, what recommendations/information does anyone have regarding the differences between those made in America, Japan or Mexico? Are any one of those better or worse than the other for quality and construction?

I've owned a pre-CBS Precision that was mighty fine, but is there anything I should look out for regarding where they were made, aside from the obvious things one looks for in a bass?

Any information and opinions (and maybe even some interest my Cirrus) is welcome.

Thanks.

2. I have owne a mexican Jazz, it sounded really good for the money, but I sold it to finance a new bass.
    I definitely want a new jazz, but not right now, and if I'd get a jazz, I'd buy a Sadowsky Metro. they're so sweet:)

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've considered all the other possibilities and I've owned and tried out all kinds of basses, but I've got my heart set on a traditional 4 string Fender Jazz or Precision. No copies, no boutique basses, just a good old fashioned, straight up Fender.

I play in a band that does alot of rockabilly, funky country and Blues.

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Do a new MIA standard Jazz or P then. Very good basses. I feel they're a great value for the price. Get a deluxe, if you want the pre-amp.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I don't really need the preamp. I'm looking for just a straight up solid sound. Which is why I might be leaning more towards a Precision. Although the Jazz I played at the store felt really nice too.

I'll have to sell my Cirrus first. Most of what is driving this is I need money and I'm selling off alot of things from this and other hobbies. I love my Cirrus, but I don't really need it, so I thought I'd sell the Cirrus for a reasonable price, buy a Fender and have some cash leftover. So I'm not looking for a very expensive P or J, but one that is a good solid performer.

I've been playing both and I'm still not sure which I like better. It seems that most of the ones I've played are MIM's, and they play, feel and sound great.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You might consider Fender's Highway 1 series basses. Some here on TB don't think much of them but they are nice. I like the HWY 1 Jazzes better than the Precisions but that's just my opinion. If there is a problem, it is that the quality control is not the best so pick and choose one where the neck, pickups and bridge line up properly. I think they sound good and the neck profile on the HWY 1 Jazzes is great. They list for about $900 so you should be able to buy one for about $630 or even less.

The '60s reissue Jazz (MIM) is also a nice bass and they sell for about the same money.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    A reissue might be worth looking into. I definitely want a traditional Jass or Precision though.

8. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Ps and Js don't sound alike, so you should audition them side by side, and see which one floats your particular boat. Many people playing blues and country choose a P, but that doesn't mean you have to. Tommy Shannon plays both a P and a J at different times, and there is another thread active right now with the idea that although Ps may traditionally have been used in country, almost anything could be today.

The best judge of this is your own ears. Sit down and play both. You should have a definite opinion when done.

Another option is the Fender Roscoe Beck IV. It has a single coil setting for traditional J sounds, but can be set on series or parallel for tones closer to a P. I certainly enjoy playing mine. It is passive btw.

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    First, I had a C 5 and sold it due to GAS. Severely regretted it ever since and now have another to replace it. Fortunately, in the whole "round" of things, I only lost about $50. If it's at all possible for you, I strongly suggest you hang on to it and just somehow figure out a way to finance a Fender in addition.

All that said, I definitely understand the need for a great traditional vibe. For me, that came in the form of a Geddy Lee Jazz I couldn't be any happier with.

However, I also GAS'd for a great P, got one, but keep hovering around the J, so the P is now up for sale, but it's so nice I'm in no hurry. If you're interested, I only have it up here right now...

[​IMG]

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156684

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I did the same thing a few years ago. I was tired of the moden sound of my Peavey Dyna-Bass 5 and I replaced it with a USA passive Jazz V. I have not regretted it for a minute. The Dyna was just as good a bass as the Jazz, but not as much my style.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I have gotten rid of an old vintage Rick 4001, a pre-CBS Precision, and Alembic and a host of others throughout the years, so I'm not too concerned about missing my Cirrus (though it is quite the awesome bass).

I went to two music stores over my lunch hour and played a ton of Jazz's and Precisions. I found I do prefer the Precision over the Jazz. I've just never felt the Jazz to be my thing. I like the necks on Precisions more.

I don't care for maple fretboards. My ideal Precision for looks and playing is one with a burnt sunburst finish, tortoise shell pickguard, black pickups and an ebony fingerboard, but I don't see too many with them.

At one store they've got a used MIA Precision that I can get for $600 cash (he had it marked as $725). But at the other place they had a used MIM Precision marked at $295 that I can get for $250. Funny thing is, the MIM feels better, plays better and sounds better. Both had rosewood fingerboards and white pickguards (which are easily replaceable).

Any thoughts about the two Precisions I tried? The MIM seems to be the best deal since it feels better to me and it'll cost me half what the MIA does. I'm pretty "jazzed" about getting a Precision.

Seems like I'm going back to my roots. I started out playing an old Precision and now after 25 years feeling pretty good about going back to one.

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Correction... "don't see ANY of them". No such animal from Fender, but there are some pretty dark versions of the Rosewood, which might be what you're thinking of (if not a Fender "clone", of course, like a Warmoth or whatnot).

Yes. Get the MIM one. The MIM Fenders are very hit and miss, but if you get a "good one", they're an awesome value, and since they're so cheap, the fact that they're resale is in the basement, it's of no concern. I genuine "players" bass.

I have a buddy who sold his USA Strat, 'cause his MIM felt and sounded better to him, so the USA was getting no airplay. It continues to be one of his most played guitars.

The trick with the MIM's is, storefronts really come in handy here, 'cause the ones that suck, really suck, and it gets expensive "trying" them out and paying shipping all the time (in other words, and especially at this price point, completely out of the question). Sounds to me like you got very lucky. Personally, I'd jump on it! You can't lose.

This is VERY cool. In getting my J, I've done the same (I had a natural J in the late 70's), and even tho I'm really primarily a fiver these days, I have an absolute BLAST playing the J... especially in the blues trio (a side project).

Go, dude. :)

13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    The only problem I had with my old MIM Fender Jazz was noisy pickups. I sold it. Now I'm buying a Korean made Jazz with new pickups in it. I should have kept the old Jazz and just traded out pickups.

So, what I'm saying in a rond-about way is that the MIM's can have some noisy pups, but if you find one you like, change the pickups and you have a great bass. The guy who bought my old Jazz put some very nice pickups in it and it is now his main axe. Gee, I miss that old bass now
    :crying:

If an MIM feels great in your hands, and has the vibe you're looking for, it doesn't matter where it was made. Just grab it before someone else does! :D

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, I figured the ebony fingerboard was probably a warmoth neck. But I do love the look of dark woods and I do love ebony fingerboards.

From what I understand it is only the Jazz's that have the noisy pickups and it is not limited to MIM's, but rather the standard series of Jazzes. Precision's only have the single split pickup and aren't prone to the infamous 60 cycle hum.

Yes, I feel very fortunate in that between the two music stores here, they had 19 P's and J's total. Some were used, some new. Lots to try out and find just what I was looking for. I may just put some cash down on the MIM just to hold it until I can sell my Cirrus. Playing on the Precisions brought back some memories. I had forgotten just how good they felt after years playing more "customized", boutique style basses.

Anyone know who might be looking for a Cirrus? I posted an ad.

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    +1

Correct. The design is such that the two "halves" are wired in a humbucking configuration. It's also part of where that distinctive P tone comes from... the offset split humbucker config.

16. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Sundogue,

go for the P.....you already had somewhat of that J sound with the Peavey..and nothing sounds like the original...

However, Lakland, mike lull and sadowsky make some excellent p basses that are supposedly as good as any pre-cbs you can find!

Personally, I love the P..there is nothing like it at all! Especially with some nice flatwounds.....very satisfying!!!

A real bass for real men!!

I wish i could show a picture of my P...I bought it used at guitar center for 500 out the door..MIA, surf green, white pearloid pickguard..flatwounds....you can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I started out playing 25+ years ago with a pre-CBS '62 Fender Precision.

I bought it used at a local music store. One of the best basses I ever owned. But like so many others since then, I got rid of it. :bawl:

But, I've had so many other nice basses. I owned an original Music Man Sting Ray. Killer bass. Got rid of it. I owned a very old, but mint Rickenbacker 4001, with a very low serial number. Sold that too. I was young AND stupid (not a good combination). I've owned Alembics, another mid 70's precision, etc.

My personal favorite was the P-Bass. I try to like the Jazz basses and I keep trying them. They look too cool...but in the end I just never like how they play. But everytime I get my hands on a nice P-Bass I just love 'em.

I'm thinking I'll put a down payment on the MIM P-Bass and try to keep selling my Cirrus.

18. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Sounds like a good idea!

but swap out the PUPs for either some Lindy Fralins or a Seymore Duncan antiquity...!!

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Is that a fairly typical mod to MIM P-Basses?

20. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Based on the kind of music you play, a P-bass sound might suit you better. I'm pretty biased because I'm strictly a jazz bass player, but sounds like that good ol' precision sound would work the best for you.