Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

selling expernces on line???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by debassed one, Aug 9, 2003.

1. debassed one

debassed one Guest

Jul 30, 2003
    san fran.,calif.
    Hey there! I'm old to bass, but new to comupters.What is the most secure way to sell bass's, amps, etc. And be sure you get paid, get what you were told your buying, and not risk your credit cards being ripped off. How does paypall work, is it good. and shipping costs?? share your
    experince- thanks

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
  3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I have done very well selling on Ebay, but I would never buy anything. With PayPal you give all of your banking information to PayPal and then when somebody pays you they "e-mail" the money to your paypal account. From there you can do pretty much anything you want with it.

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    (What is the most secure way to sell bass's, amps, etc. And be sure you get paid)

Always require payment before shipping your item. If it is a personal check, wait until it clears before shipping your item.

(get what you were told your buying,)

ask as many questions as you can think of. Get the seller to send more photos if the pictures are marginal. ALWAYS check the seller's references.

(and not risk your credit cards being ripped off. How does paypall work, is it good.)

Paypal has a secure website. Some like it, some don't. I've had problems with them, but they have always been resolved.

(and shipping costs?? share your
    experince- thanks)

You can get an estimate of shipping costs if you have zip code for where the item is going. Just go to the UPS website for their freight estimater. Add a few lbs for packing/shipping materials. Some sellers do try to ding you a little on shipping, so do your home work. I've paid between $20 - $30 for shipping guitars with insurance. I've found shipping heavy amps can get quite costly.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    If you're buying online, my advice is to ask the seller a lot of questions, even if you don't have any, so you can get a feel for him. Does he return emails quickly, does he give complete descriptions and explanations, does he sound honest about the item's condition? Also, if he has lots of ebay feedback or other types of references you have some added insurance.

When selling...yeah, like rumblethump said, wait til the check clears. But I prefer money orders from Western Union or the Post Office, because they are just like cash.

6. debassed one

debassed one Guest

Jul 30, 2003
    san fran.,calif.
    That helps. I like the check is in the mail. but
    the "when the check is clear- the gear leaves here
    sounds the best" It still sounds like a crapshoot, with you as the target. Do people get upset if you refuse to sell if shipping, and packing is do difficult.

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Its best to keep all boxes your equipment comes in. Failing that, you can try looking out back of your favorite music store for shipping boxes. If shipping is too big a pain, then don't offer your item on the internet. I pack things so well you could throw them off my roof and they wouldn't be damaged, and yes its a lot effort to pack things that well. I just think about how I would want it packed if it were being shipped to me.

8. I recently just sold a practice amp to a member here (xush) and he went trhough paypal to pay for it. Got the payment the day I gave him the account name to make the payment to and shipped it out 2 days later (had trouble finding a box!). Right now it is in transit to his home via UPS :D