1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Selling from your website.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by GravitiesBass, May 11, 2006.

1. Hey fellow musicians.

My bands first cd is going to be in our hands next week, and we're trying to get ready for it. We're looking for a viable way to sell our cd and merchandise online and if at all possible for now, would like to do it off our own website. I found a place that hooks you up for MP3 download capability, but not the hard copy of the cd.

Anyone with suggestion?

2. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
  3. It would if we didn't already have the cd being duplicated. I've checked them out before for tee's and I'm not that happy with the product you get.

thanks though. Everything helps.:D

4. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well it's a complicated thing.
    We're going to sell them online ourselves useing paypal. We'll set up the link to pay for it. Alot of paintball companies do this. But... the downside is, if you're going to sell alot of stuff as a "busisness" you need to have a Tax ID number or something so the feds don't jack your ass. So we handed that to our parents to do :) .
    It's great being in a highschool band!

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. I would recommend that you do something like that on your bands own site, and then throw it up onto a site with more traffic. Look seriously at how much traffic your site gets. I've found that yeah, we love our website and stuff, but places like MySpace provide way more traffic to our material. So a link from there would definitely be the call. However, check out somewhere like CDBaby. They might take a chunk out of your sales, but if you sell a hundred a month through them and 1/mo. through your site, you're still gonna make out better in the end. Personally, I've bought quite a few CD's from CDBaby. Paypals, or the "send us a check" route is still totally doable, but if it's about making money (which is is) then the rule of thumb is distribution. The more places it's available the more you'll sell. Do that, put it on CDBaby, I think Amazon even has something for DIY indie artists, but I could be wrong, AND don't forget you have to run around and sell copies to the mom and pop music shops around your local area. Hope this helps. Congrats on completing the CD. We've just started recording ours and it's a big task to say the least.