Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selling gear on eBay

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 23, 2001.

1. This may be the wrong place for this but I have a question. Do any of you guys have experience selling gear on eBay? Do you have any tips as to the best way to make the most money from what you are selling?

2. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I have a SWR 350 for sale that I was thinking about putting on ebay. I too have never sold anything on ebay but would like to. HELP us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've sold a lot of gear on ebay and recommend it highly =] I find that the best way to sell something is to not b.s. around with reserves, just put the starting bid at what you're willing to take for whatever you're selling. It's a big market on ebay and it seems you can always find someone willing to buy what you're selling ;) Good luck.. Be sure to use a lot of good keywords in your title for the auction and if possible, post pictures of what you're selling.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Well, there are lots of pretty price-savvy folks hanging around Ebay, and everybody is looking for a bargain so don't expect to make a bundle unless you got a killer bargain on the amp yourself. A lot of it is in the presentation...you have to word your ad to get attention, include all the information and tech stuff you can gather and include GOOD PHOTOS. That's probably the most important...not many people are willing to pay for something they can't see. If you don't have any previous Ebay experience, then be aware that you also don't have any "feedback", which is a reference system. Be prepared to offer some type of references to the eventual high-bidder...they'll want some assurances that you are on the up-n-up. Another important thing to remember is to state all details up front: damage/blemishes to the item, anything not working properly, age, etc. I know it sounds funny, but you want to find a way to balance your item description so that the item sounds attractive, but it's also important to be honest about the negatives so that the buyer knows what he's getting. The worst thing that could happen is to acquire a rep as a seller who tries to sham bidders.

As for getting the best possible price...you might want to do a search on Ebay of completed auctions of the same amp so you'll know what to expect to get. Also check what used gear retailers are selling that amp for...you just won't get much or any more than that amount usually. Don't set a reserve that's above either of those amounts because people will eventually just give up and look elsewhere. Best thing to do, in my opinion, is decide what you need for the amp, set that for an opening bid amount and forget the reserve.

5. I have to agree. I don't sell gear on eBay, but I do sell glass beads, and I've sold some computer gear. Good photos are a must! You want to use a good description too. I'll hit the gear section occasionally and search on manufacturers, so you want to get that and the type of gear it is in your title. They're lumping all the bass stuff together, so if someone's looking for an amp, and that's what you're selling, make sure you get that in the title.

Hope that helps.

Lisa

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    After consideration, I've decided it is. Off to miscellaneous it goes!

7. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I've sold gear on EBAY with some success. Be prompt on responding to questions and ship it quick, even if you have to go out of your way. If you don't have feedback, offer a 48 hour approval if they pay shipping and your gear is returned in exactly the same condition. You probably won't have that happen if the gear is how you advertised, but you might attract more cautious bidders if you at least make the offer. You can also offer the escrow service. As stated in the other posts, photos are critical, and if you can get a digital camera and offer multiple angles, do that. Be technical in your description. If it's a guitar, talk about the fret wear, intonation, all that stuff. Have someone proof your description to make sure your spelling and grammar is correct. Give the equipment's history. How much it has been played, etc. I would rather read a lengthy description using the regular EBAY text than some of the flashy pages people are doing. If you can represent how much below retail or current value they are getting, that helps too. Don't end your auction early if requested by someone.

8. ive never sold anything on ebay. but ive had some bad luck on ebay. i bought only one thing on ebay, and that was a paintball gun. the guy who was selling it was a total ass and deleted his email address after i paid him, and of course it was by check. so he could of totally just stolen that money from me. i planned on pressing charges, but then the gun came in....4 MONTHS after i won the auction. so im just sayin don't do crap to mess with the winner of the auction. cause a lot of people suck when it comes to ebay.

9. I've bought 5 basses, sold 3 (not the same ones!) bought 2 amps and bought and sold a ton of other miscellaneous gear. I also sold my entire race team (stock car/trailer/parts) on ebay. I've got 48 perfect transactions without a negative response! Not a lot compared to some of the guys and girls but enough to know what I'm talking about.

McChildree has it right. Even if what you have isn't near perfect, illustrate it to the max. By exposing all of the flaws (in the text and pics) you will be generating interest where there might not be much for items that are less forthright in their description. Another tip for quick shipping - Pack and weigh your item when you put it on the board. That way, you can get a quick shipping quote to the winner and pop it in the mail as soon as the check clears. Everybody is happy when this happens.

Seriously consider using PayPal (only!!) for taking a credit card. I don't like doing business any other way if I can help it. This is safe, quick and very convenient. I even did a $2000 sale using PayPal and it went flawlessly! The other services charge exhorbitant amounts to transact business and they put me off.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I do quite a bit of buying and selling on eBay. I think you have to be realistic about what you've got and how much you can get for it. I find it's best to get your feet wet as a buyer instead of jumping right in as a seller. Sellers with zero feedback get no bids, and I say this as an eBay member with 75 positive replies.

Before you put your gear on auction, consider selling it to a TalkBass member. If you do put it on auction, please do not advertise it in the classifieds. Thank you.

Will C.:cool:

11. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i tried to sell my old gear on ebay. it didn't work. i only got six bids - came nowhere near my reserve price. it'll cost about $4.55 to put an ad on - really, it's cheaper than putting an ad in the paper. like it was mentioned above, register with paypal. people will likely pass your listing by if you can't take their credit card.

i ended up selling my stuff to a local guy. got the money i wanted to get out of it. whatever works, i guess.