Selling gear to make rent?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 'JC', Jan 22, 2005.

1. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I'm curious if anyone has ever done this before and what they felt like later on. Any regrets? Any special one off or rare items?
    Was their another way?
    Would you do it again?
  2. I might sell my 5 string to get caught up on little debts and other investments I am working on.

I hardly ever play this thing, and I bought it because it's a very rare find, and I figured it would be great. But I love my four strings so much more. Not sure yet though...
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Oh man,

When I was unemployed I sold my 74 Jazz to pay the rent. I still regret it, but having a roof over your head is important when you have a family. I love my kids more than my Jazz.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  4. The only time I've ever sold a piece of gear because I needed money was about 6 months ago when I sold my Tascam 4 track Portastudio...the thing was, I had owned it for almost two years and our band never used it once...I had originally bought it figuring we'd use it to make a demo. Then, about two months after I sold it on eBay (and got most of what I paid for it back), our band decides to make a demo, and we're forced to use our guitarist's older and quite inferior Yamaha 4 track...oh well, go figure.
  5. I'm biased against selling anything music-related, really. But I honestly feel like there should be another way out. One thing is for sure, do NOT sell a bass you like. I definitely believe that you'll regret that. Then again, like Chris A said, if you have a family to feed and really need it, figure out which is more important (hint, it's not the bass). Although it would probably be better to sell something like a few effects pedals or a piece of recording gear that's a little less unpredictable as a bass (basses vary in quality, colors, etc so it's hard to ever find one like that again).
  6. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    sold a blackface Fender Bassman for rent 2 years ago. I sometimes miss it, but I'm happy with my current rig.
  7. I feel the same way Chris, have been down that road.

Sold some of my keyboard equipment and a practice amp in order to pay the bills.
  8. Adding to what has been said, I think it's important that when buying or selling gear, not to make stupid "deals" with yourself...or trick yourself into thinking you can get ahead by buying something you can't afford on an installment plan or something.

For instance, our drummer was recently very cash strapped, after losing his job (again). So he was going to sell his drum kit and _buy a new one_ with financing...he figured this way he could have a new drum set and have money immediately to pay his bills...keep in mind this guy still had no job at that point. Fortunately, he got a cash advance from one of those "Quick Cash" places and didn't sell his drums (which might not be much better, but at least he didn't sell his drums, and then buy a new set which he might've had to give back anyway if he couldn't make payments)...

Basically, I think you need to be realistic about what your monthly income and expenses are, and then go from there. Myself, I have been doing a sales job for about six months's going OK, not great, so I haven't been making any big audio purchases lately because I know I shouldn't until my income gets better. Of course, being married tends to keep me well grounded too ;)