1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Selling gear

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Would you sell gear to a TB user with no info, no profile, and no content except for your conversation? It says he has been a member since 2011. He says he is having issues with paypal and wants to use his friend’s paypal?

fhm555 and Turbo Sparky like this.
  2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    It kinda irks me when folks don't even bother to put the most basic of information like where they live or what kind of music they dig. I'm sure there's ways others here will probably suggest that will keep risk to a very minimum for you, but the PayPal thing is also a red flag for me as well. Maybe if he doesn't mind that you sit on the funds for a few months, but I'd be surprised if they agreed to that (perhaps tell him that Darrin Huff will be handling your shipping to buy that kind of time :roflmao:)

Good luck. I'm genuinely curious what wisdom others might impart here to cover your arse.

PS- You selling that black Ric & fridge setup?? :confused:

3. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Yes the Rick and the Ampeg stuff is for sale in the classifieds. I still have an SVT stack and my P bass.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    That’s a tough one. I am guessing that this isn’t a meet up sale.

I would prefer a different form of payment I think.

Aqualung60 and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  5. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    No I would be shipping my bass... seems kind of sketchy. I hear you though.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. I'd totally support the selling to (pretty much most) users on here (buying as well), have done it before with NO issues, but there is always that instance where your gut feeling throws up a yellow flag. Just because said user has been on here since 2011 does not mean per say they have been consistently active on here or have they? The whole profile thing is one thing, but what threw up another flag is the "problems with PayPal" and wanting to use his friends...that's where it kinda got weird to me. Also not really providing much info about themselves it seems too. I say go with your gut, however I personally would be cautious...perhaps enough to not go through with the sale with said user. You don't want to label anyone right away, however fraud is a pretty big issue these days.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i don't know how that "friend's paypal" would work, but if it's do-able without any additional risk to the seller = why not? just asking.

8. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I'd say "no" on the friend's Paypal thing. If you're having issues with your Paypal, the answer is to just solve the issues. I don't know how it works all that well, but I'd be afraid there's some loophole he can exploit to get Paypal to refund the payment.

tommyr01, GregC, B-Lo and 3 others like this.
  9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    who has issues with their paypal beyond income<taste.

Spidey2112, Jokei and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  10. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah I cancelled the sale.

11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    The obvious problem to me with a "friend's" PayPal is that the address registered to the account would be different than the Ship To address.

I have seen enough statements about Verified Address across the various P2P sales platforms to balk at this alone.

12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I would ask for an eBay or Reverb reference if it was just a "no content" issue. Using a "friends" PayPal would be a deal killer. It's hard to believe that someone is on the internet for 8 years and has no references. That alone is kind of a red flag.

13. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

I would ask for a USPS money order instead. Cash it in then ship. Too many red flags otherwise. my .02

masonsjax, 2boom, pudge and 3 others like this.
  14. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    There is risk to the seller. I read about a few different paypal scams before deciding to cancel the sale.

MCF, tommyr01 and JRA like this.
  15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    People who have done enough scamming that their PayPal account is frozen?

16. Richie Se7en

Richie Se7en Presently distractivated Supporting Member

This is the obvious answer, or even a personal check, provided you don't ship until it clears. If it's shady, you still have your bass and a worthless piece of paper to trash.

17. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    866.459.7822 to verify a postal money order

1bassplayinfool, wraub and mikewalker like this.
  18. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Consider the red flags and listen to your gut.
    I wouldn't do it.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I wouldn’t do it. I barely trust the people who are active members. That last part was a joke, but I wouldn’t do it. Final answer.

20. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    No.