Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selling GK. Now what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeybcdt, Jun 8, 2004.

1. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    I'm thinking of selling my GK 700RB/210RBH/115RBH rig. The cabs I'm considering are the Epifani T-112UL @ $625.00 X2 = $1250.00
    GGuitars
    Anyone know of a better place to buy?

What head do you recommend? No pre/power setups. I'm trying to lighten the load. What if I kept the GK 700RB? Would it push the Epifani's OK?

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Best amp for the money is the GK1001RB-II. 18 lbs, 700 watts $649. Can't go wrong!

3. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Eden really confuses me. The WT800 is rated at 400w X 2 @ 4ohms and 800w bridged at 8ohms.

I don't want to biamp.

It seems to me that bridged mode should be run at 4ohms since most people that run bridged will be running two cabinets and most cabinets are 8 ohms. And...if you run in stereo that would be two cabs per side to run at 4 ohms. Each cab would only be getting 200w.

So, Eden can either run 4 cabs very underpowered or one cab overpowered. Or am I missing something?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1

5. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    joeybcdt, you're not missing anything. The Eden is a stereo power amp capable of only a 8 ohm load bridged. The GK 1001RB-II is 700 watts @ 4 ohms. You know the sound, just mucho more power. Oh yeah, did I say it only weighs 18lbs!!

6. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Where do you find the GK 1001RB for $649.00?

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I run my Wt800 with 1 4ohm 410xlt (2 total) out of each side and it is louder than all getty up. I am pushing 400w into each cab. Who wants to lug around 4 cabinets? I also have a 410xst that is 8ohms that I run in bridge mode for smaller gigs at the full 800w bridged.

8. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Rik's Music. That price also includes shipping!

www.riksmusic.com

9. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    does the eden wt-800 sound better and louder when run in stereo mode rather than bridged?

10. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i love my GK-1001 : )

good power, sounds killer

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I don't really notice a diff.

12. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    For cabs you should consider the Bergantino HT/EX112's. The HT112 is $539 and I think the EX112 is about $400. Get one of each(the HT has a horn the EX does not). This is a VERY popular rig and for good reason. These cabs kick butt in tone and volume. I think you'd be happier with vs the Epi's in price, tone, weight, and portability. They sound great with the GK too!!

13. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    I considered the Bergs. The only thing I didn't like was the width. If I ever switched to rack gear the rack would hang off the sides. Maybe not a big deal. I'll give another look.

Joey

14. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    You definitely should. The Bergs are cheaper, sound better, and because the cab is a little smaller it is easier to handle. I also suggest getting the carrying bag for the GK for $50. The GK w/o the rack ears is exactly the same width as the Bergs. Not only will you have a very portable rig that sounds great, but you'll look good too!! :bassist:

15. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    if you decide to sell this, let me know. where are you located?