Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selling International!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by simongpaez, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Hello everyone I am currently selling a bass and I have receive some offers from International buyers ( Not Asia) that can help me out moving the bass a lot faster, some of them have positiove feedback and seems like they are actually bass players looking for a good deal in the US.

What is your experience selling overseas? Is there any process I need to follow from my side. How was your payment method with some of this guys.
    Any advice will really help!!!!!!

Thanks
    Simon

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Simon,

things that the buyer must understand:
    - Buyer pays customs and taxes.
    - The declared value is what the insurance company will consider if anything goes wrong with the shipping, so if the buyer asks you to declare a lower value, that's his lost.
    - You can prove you own the bass, he can't prove he's got the money, so he sends the money first (it doesn't sound friendly, but you don't want to hear that his car broke while the bass was in transit and you have to wait for the payment).

Appart from this, you are going to fill a few papers more when you ship the bass, but I don't understand why some people in the States refuse to sell to buyers abroad when they can move the gear faster and sometimes even get more money. Ebay & Talkbass feedback or other references are a +.

hope this helps

3. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    +1 on that one. I'm often frustrated to see all the great bass for sale here cause most of the time, people will refuse to sell abroad, even if it means that they won't sell at all...
    :(
    A lot of brand are not distributed abroad (in Europe) or are not so comman (Roscoe, Fbass, Stambaugh...) so apart from the good deal, it could often be the opportunity to buy a bass that we could probably never buy here...

Sheers

Shiveringbass

4. I'm based in Australia and have so far, purchased and Ampeg SVT 3Pro,a Moses Custom Jazz and a Schroeder Mini 12 from the US. Payment methods have been via Paypal and also Direct Wire Transfer through Western Union.

I'm happy to say I've never had a problem. Generally speaking, there is an extra level of trust for sellers to go international and I acknowledge that this may be a concern. As far as I'm concerned, a good buyer accepts responsibility for some of the purchase. If the seller is willing to guarantee that they are selling as is described, then the buyer needs to accept the cost of postage and potential import duties.

In Australia, a product that is USA made and used very rarely gets charged import taxes. I don't really know why. I've been honest with all declarations but I've never been charged.:) I'd also second the ebay feedback idea. If someone has traded on ebay, they may have a better understanding of what is required and be a more responsible buyer.

5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I have bought a lot of gear from the USA (ebay. stores and for sale adds) and I have never had a problem. Several times I had the items shipped to my family in L.A. or to my hotel in NYC (when I had visits planned) and the sellers agreed to do this. I understand that ebay transactions can be dangerous, but I consider deals done in Talkbass or The Dude Pit "safe" deals. I never buy if I don't have the money to pay at the moment, that's my rule.

6. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hi Guys,

I also just sold a bass and im waiting on the Money. I wanted to ask how you guys packed the Basses? Did you just stick it in its hardshell case and send it off? I know there is a thread somewhere on here concerning this but i cant seem to find it!

M

7. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I've sold several guitars and basses to foreign buyers. As long as it is not one of those scams in which the buyer wants to send you a bank check for more than the purchase price, it'll be fine. I have just received payment via PayPal from foreign buyers with no problem. PayPal doed take longer to clear with foreign buyers, so everyone has to understand that the process is slower.

Jim

8. You know asia is..... big.
    No need to add that all people from asia are not twisters

9. Don't take it personal , that was not the intention. I agree with you not all people from Asia are twisters...

And I never said they where..

I said "I have receive some offers from International buyers ( Not Asia) " thats it

Thanks

10. Thanks for your feedback guys!

11. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    ....hmmmm...so everywhere but asia...how bizarre.;)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would try Nigeria - I hear they are good at taking your money!! ;)

13. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    It's not some mystical grey area that some folks seem to think, for example the difference between a US and international transaction might be as follows:

1) You take a Paypal payment instead of check/money order, but you do that with many US transactions anyway.

2) You have to fill one extra form in at the post office.... no wait it's not a form, it's a 2"x3" bit of paper with 4 lines and a couple of boxes to tick.

3) Emails and pm's are answered at slightly different times due to time zones.

I seriously can't think of anything else that makes international transactions a problem, just be clear that any customs problems are on the buyer to sort out.

14. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    IMHO, etc...

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the rule of law. In the US, one has recourse against a scammer. Not so in many places in the world.

(Then there's international law-- let's not even go *there*!)

This fact causes many people in the US to avoid doing business with those in other countries in order to avoid the risk of being scammed and not having *any* way to sort it out (even if the risk is only a perceived risk).

Besides, no one likes to fill out forms, do they?;)

15. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    A good point, but if you get the cash before you ship you don't have to worry about scams.

True again, but we spend more time writing the add and posting the photos than we need to fill that form.

16. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    Hi,

all basses I own currently (2 roscoes, a ken smith, an Elrick, and a Nordstrand sc) were bought (or traded) via talkbass. I want to thank here tb'ers with whom I had those deals for their confidence in me.

It's true that sometimes selling overseas is a little less easy than selling in the continental US. but if you get the money first, risks are reduced.

As it's been said before, for us (europeans) that's the only way to get this kind of gear without paying twice the price.

17. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    For expamle it's possible to pay with postal order from Slovakia to USA (almost every normal country in the world :D). I have to bring cash to the post office, and you will get cash right into hands. It should take few days to deliver. And it's cheaper than bank transfer IIRC. I'd say this is the safest way.

18. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Hi.. I've basically purchased my entire rig from the USA.. all transactions have been perfect.. I like to get to know my sellers a bit, maybe call them on the phone, research their band on the internet, check out all feedback..

usually bad grammer and people who are in a huge rush to get the transaction finished are a bit dodgy.. if they are happy to chew the fat, have other supporting documentation on the internet to validate there existance etc.. it should be smooth sailing..

one chap from Texas send me his Demeter 201S without even me sending the funds! we had such a long email chat about things he totally knew I was not dodgy.. sent the pre.. I recieved it.. he was still fishing around for his paypal address.. he finally found it a day after I had the pre.. and I paid him on the spot..

I wish the world was so trusting...

19. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I don't know why some people refuse to sell stuff outside USA, it just doesn't make sense to me. Money first and everything will be OK!
    I do everything bass-related in the USA ... Hell, I don't even hang out at my Country's bass forum!!!! :D

20. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Biggest piece of advice, get a real shipping quote on your item. Make sure that you get what you were planning on for your item, shipping might be more than you expected. Or it could be less and if you overshoot your price, you could miss out on a sale.

As for packing, I like to make sure all 6 sides have a little padding (the four sides and top and bottom) around the case, bubble wrap is my ideal wrap. If you are shipping a gig bag, its cool but bubble wrap the crap out of it. If you have to charge for the materials, make sure you work it in to your 'shipping quote'. (note, charging for the materials and doing it yourself and then sending it is WAYYYYY cheaper than having Mailboxes ETC do it or the like)