1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

selling my sax for L-1500

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by clanner, Apr 18, 2006.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    hey all, just saying that at the end of this semester I will be selling my sax (julious keilwerth s-80 alto) so that I can acquire my second G&L bass. a clear blue L-1500 with ebony board.

does it sound any differnt than the l-2000? I hope so. may alsosell my fivestring ibanez to help supplement various projects and upgrades to other instruments (Ibanez sr405)

peace, pics to come much later.

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    The 1500 will sound like the back pickup selected on your l2000.
    Maybe try something like an l-1000 or an sb-2.

danman

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'll disagree with danman, although this is a point of debate among G&L fans, that the L-1500 will sound like a bridge pickup on an L-2000. The pickup position on the L-1500 is between the pickup positions on the L-2000 and I think it gives a sound you can't get with an L-2000. While I'm usually not satisfied with the bottom I get out of an L2K bridge pickup an L-1500/Climax always gives enough for me. Although in the long run I end up going back to basses with neck pickups (L2K, SB-2 and JB-2).

But if you can do your best to try and find an L-1500 in a store to try out - you may decide the difference between it and an L2K bridge pickup isn't significant enough to have both.

Oh yeah - are you sure you want to sell your sax? I've still got my tenor from high school (a Beuscher student model) and play it when the opportunity arises. I've been in bands where I played sax only and had a great time. And I write/home record instrumental music with sax as the melodic voice (I don't play guitar anymore and was never any good at it). While GAS is a strong force make sure you won't regret letting it go - I'd love to still have the silver curved Beuscher soprano I sold to get my first 4-track. Although I love playing bass, I try and consider myself a musician first and a bass player second - and having my sax gives me more options for making music.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I recently ordered an L-1500. I considered an L-2000, and tried both. To my ears, the L-1500 sounds very different from the L-2000, and was much more appealing to me. Then I noticed why: its pickup is between the L-2000's pickups, in the "sweet spot" like a Sting Ray's pickup. So it doesn't sound like the bridge pickup on an L-2000. It's thicker and more aggressive. From what I've read over in the Dudepit, the preamps are different too, with the L-1500 having a brighter (perhaps overly so) pre than the L-2000. In my tests, I had to cut the treble quite a bit in active mode to get "my" sound, but then it was kickin'!

The L-2000 is undoubtedly more versatile, but I was looking for a hard-hitting bass along the lines of a P-bass with Quarter Pounder, but more flexible. I'll find out how well it works in about six weeks.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Just checked the schematics on G&L's page and the preamps do look to be different (different pinouts). I'm really suprized! :eek:

6. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    My apologies.
    I stand corrected.

danman

7. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    only reason I am even considering selling my sax is because I just don't enjoy playing anymore. and outside of school I rarely take it home (cept for today, went home sick, need to practice for last concert of the school year, not going to be in band anymore though) still debating whether not I should sell or not. could find some uses for it in my band, but it would havwe to be for a solo and miking a sax is a pain in the behind, and I could always buy another down the road. (I've had this sax for more than 6 years)

p.s. around how much would a new L-1500 be? clear blue, ebony board.