Selling my XXXXXXX bass online... maybe I'm just too impatient(?)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by erhovey, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. erhovey

erhovey

Nov 10, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    ---------------------

So I decided to part with my XXXXXXX bass, because I’ve got small-ish hands, not much reach, and I just never got used to the 35” scale. I absolutely love everything about this bass, except the scale… the tonal capabilities are XXXXXXXX, and the instrument is in XXXXXXXX condition. So, going on the advice of a very knowledgeable bass salesman at a local music store, that I’ve known for years…. so I throw it out there for a starting price of (X) dollars. Within a couple hours, I get a couple offers at (X – 150) dollars and (X – 125) dollars. Well, I was kind of caught off-guard and thought there must be some interest here, and that it would be a bit odd to accept a (X – 150) discount so quickly upon posting the add, so I declined their offers. So I figured I’d let the listing run for a week or so before I resorted to dropping the price. Well… it’s been crickets ever since. I have progressively dropped the asking price down to (X – 150) dollars, where it has been for a few days now, and nothing… zero, zip, nada! Now, mind you… I am literally a few hundred bucks below other like XXXXXXX basses currently listed online (on XXXXXX and elsewhere that I’ve seen). If I were to drop the price much more, well… I might as well walk it into a XXXXXX Center and sell/trade it and forego the hassle of the transaction and shipping, etc. I was also toying with the idea of selling my fretless, but now probably not. I’ve been a bassist for decades, but I’m a rookie at the selling game. Am I doing something wrong, or am I just being impatient? Maybe there’s not much of a market for these XXXXXXX basses?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2018
    fttfbass likes this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Just a thought, but I've always believed the month after Christmas is the worst time to be selling. People generally spend a LOT during the holiday season, and that first paycheck afterwards is usually spoken for.
    You might have better luck in a month or so...Good luck!

tlc1976 and erhovey like this.
  3. erhovey

erhovey

Nov 10, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Very good point there

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

You have to be a supporting member to actually post an item to sell.
    But I think you may know that.
    You might also try a local Music-Go-Round near you.

5. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Timing is everything.....Right person at right time

6. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Classified document or curse-laden rant? Find out next on XXXXXXX.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022