Selling old gear to upgrade? Kind of feel mixed about it truthfully [POLL]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by salmon256, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Carrots

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. salmon256

salmon256

Jul 10, 2021
    NY
    For whatever you choose, please explain if you want!

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked or talked about millions of times but I want to ask about it because well, I just want to and I want to see if people will vote for this poll.

My own personal struggle is, truthfully for a college student, money is tough, I commute to school to save money, gas is seriously important, I do take the train to save money, but things can be a pain in the butt. Ok you get it, I know poor me...! But this winter break I really wanted to get back into bass, with just being given my aunts old car, I was hoping to go to open mics or jams. Ok, sorry for rambling let me get to my point of this poll - Maybe when winter break starts I'll be satisfied with swimming, kendo etc. but I really do have an itch for music and boredom has been getting to me with my one bass, I was thinking of trading or selling my current and only jazz bass (Classic vibes 60 jazz) for something better to combine with money saved, I don't want to just buy a new bass with saved money. I would love to don't get me wrong but money is scarce at the moment and right now I am hoping to secure a swimming gig down the line if I feel confident enough or some other job in the summer but doesn't mean I'll be able to buy loads of basses. I was thinking of upgrading to some Fender or something but I'm just having mixed thoughts about saying goodbye to my one bass that served me well. What I was thinking of getting is some kind of screwdriver bass, like a G&L L2000, or a Fender Jazz maybe... I was also going to check local see what I can do.

I don't know, I know some are gonna say, if you like your bass why get rid of it, others may say another bass will call you, I want to hear your stories if you had a similar problem like my or thought. Anyway sorry for this dumb ramble post, I hope it wasn't too dumb. Have a great day and week all!!!

2. Levent

Levent

Oct 26, 2022
    I love kendo too man :hyper:
    Don't bat an eye or get sentimental while buying/selling factory instruments. It's part of our experience to spend time with different instruments and to try new sounds. You can even try other peoples instruments and trade etc. using local apps, listings and forums.
    My advice would be to upgrade hardware and do a pro set up. Classic vibes 60 Jazz can sound even better than factory Fender Jazz with a modern boutique pickup such as Delano, Aero, Nordstrand etc. I have my eyes on Sadowsky / Aguilar etc. too. Cheaper solution and more guaranteed than a Fender upgrade. Next steps would be preamp>bridge>tuners depending how far you want to upgrade but sound wise pickup is most transformative :thumbsup:

3. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I haven’t regretted selling/trading any of my gear so far. Do i miss a couple of them from time to time, sure. But i’m very happy with my stable now and feel like i wouldn’t have gotten to this point without the gear journey i’ve been on.

That said, i know how tight money is being a college student and so it’s a tough call in your situation. Getting new gear is always a good motivation to play more, but if the cost is going to put you in a tough spot, maybe try thinking of a different way to get playing again that isn’t so costly, and then once you get into a routine and save up awhile longer, maybe upgrade then when it won’t be as tough a decision financially.

Wasnex, BrentSimons and salmon256 like this.
  4. I don't regret selling stuff, but I do wonder what the upgrade will be, at your budget. In my student days, I figured out how to properly set up a guitar, and that helped a lot getting more joy out of my instruments. I've always played sub-500 instruments, for the sheer lack of money, and bought effects pedals to keep things interesting, or maybe a pick-up or tuner upgrade if something really bothered me. But you can save a lot of money by figuring out what it exactly is what you need; a new instrument or more motivation to play your instrument?

Geddaric and salmon256 like this.
  5. Uncle Johnson

Uncle Johnson

Jan 13, 2019
    Finland
    Regret selling gear to get new gear? Never.

Regret selling gear to get money for something else? Everytime.

If I suspect that I will regret selling something I will try to sell it to a friend. Then I can at least try to buy it back later. IF they are willing to sell that is. :D

6. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    You have GAS and are wanting change for change's sake.

What will another, different, modest cost bass bring you that you don't have now? Don't give the 'tone' argument as I bet you can play everything you need to with what you have. So, why?

Poobini, Dust2Dust, MisterUbu and 5 others like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

you want a new ax to emulate the sound of one tune? do i have that correct?

Discount Bassy and salmon256 like this.
  8. Al Rivera

Al Rivera

Mar 20, 2021
    Play what you have, the basses you mention are barely an upgrade! It is common to think how much better another brand/model would be,but as in a lot if cases,the wanting is better then actually receiving! Save your $$$,the new bass will be waiting for you when you are financially stable.

9. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    I have absolutely no regrets. Go play as many basses as you can get your hands on. G& L makes great basses but not everyone likes the necks or the hot pickups. You need to take your bass with you and try whatever interest you.
    Have an idea of the sound you want and maybe consider your favorite players and what you like about their sound.
    Buy whatever feels good in your hands and is within your budget.
    You might decide to trade or sell your bass. You might decide to just add a bass in addition to your own. Or you might just decide to stay with what you have.
    You’ll have fun in the process .

Murch, MaxSpinrun and salmon256 like this.
  10. DRay521

DRay521 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I’ll echo this. A few times in college, I had to sell gear to pay rent and/or bills, and I REALLY miss those basses. Unfortunately it was necessary at the time. But in recent years, it’s always been to afford something I would rather have, and they have been, as someone mentioned earlier, factory-made items that aren’t terribly hard to find again. No regrets there, as it’s improved the overall quality of what I have.

If it’s selling to get something you really want, or selling something you’re not in love with, you won’t regret it.

salmon256 and Jeremy Crockett like this.
  11. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Amiable Crank

Given the specificity of the question, my response is a bit tangential but, I really need to vent about a recent experience.

After being away from all things musical, I (over the course of the last two years) ended up with a Fender Player Precision and a Vintera 70s Jazz. The Vintera was an incredibly beautiful instrument with a bound and blocked neck. Fender insisted that it was Pau Ferro, but it looked nothing like any Pau Ferro I have ever seen. It looked more like Rosewood, very dark.

Anyway, I found myself picking up the Precision more often than the J while I was practicing. I was also in "pay down my debt" mode. So, I listed the J for a price that I could live with and vowed to not move a penny on the price. Now, this is the one time I should have followed my instincts because every time I got an inquiry about the Jazz, I would re-think about selling because I was not using it enough.

Eventually, I got the asking price. However, two days later I was overwhelmed with regret about selling the Vintera. Now, I've sold lots of stuff before and occasionally would have moderate Seller's Remorse but it (generally) would go away and never come back. This was different. I have no logical explanation for it, it's silly and stupid but dang! I was sorry I sold that bass.

TLDR -- If you are hesitant to sell off a bass because you are attached emotionally to it, allow yourself some time to figure out the specifics of why. I think that CV 60s Jazz that you currently own will continue to serve you well. You also seem to have your priorities straight, so just squirrel away whatever extra money you have and be patient.

P.S. All of this said, I voted "No" because 99 times out of 100 selling gear has not bothered me at all.

mikewalker and salmon256 like this.
  12. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    I’ve bought and sold a lot of gear over the last 50+ years. To me it’s part of being a musician and tools are required. But I have no more attachment to my gear than a screwdriver in a tool box. If I needed one that was 12” long, and all I had was one that was 6”, I would have no emotional issues with selling the short one to get the larger one. That is me, and I certainly understand I’m in a minority here.

Just a couple of things for you to consider. The first one is you window of using a new instrument is relatively short as you are planning to go on to other things and this is going to go in case for awhile.

The second thing is the cost factor. Upgrades usually cost money. As student on a tight budget, is the expenditure on the upgrade for a temporary diversion worth it? You have a perfectly functioning bass that is playable I’m assuming.

As I said. I bought and sold a lot of gear over the years and have done well with my choices. My advice here is delayed gratification will pay huge dividends over the years. Be patient.

mikewalker and salmon256 like this.
  13. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    I would getting all the other elements of your rig together before you look at getting a new bass. If you want to play with other people you'll need an amp that can do that. Don't forget all the other stuff like; a case, cables, tuner, pedals if you want/need them.

Take your bass in for a pro set-up to get it playing as good as possible and then see if any additional mods/upgrades are needed after you've spent some time with it.

I know this is not as fun as a new bass, but all the other elements of the rig need to be there too.

SColabass, fourfinger and salmon256 like this.
  14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If your current bass isn't holding you back and money is tight, why buy a new one? Getting through college is your main goal right now. You'll have more funds to work with after you graduate and get settled into a new place.

15. tvbop

tvbop

Mar 11, 2021
    Biggest investment you can make in music is to....practise more. Costs nuthin and wish I'd realised it years ago.

CoughSyrup, Bitterdale, Jev1 and 7 others like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    "If airplane is working, why jump without parachute?"

Confunkalicious, circa 10:30

17. salmon256

salmon256

Jul 10, 2021
    NY
    Thank you! I see your points, also cool seeing another Kendoka in the bass community!!!

18. salmon256

salmon256

Jul 10, 2021
    NY
    Thank you all for the replies and more to come! I will try my best to get to you! Thank all so much for real, I was scared to ask this question, I asked a lot of dumb questions on here, music is truly the topic I struggle with the most, and I really feel at home here at times. Thank you all!

19. salmon256

salmon256

Jul 10, 2021
    NY
    I'm sorry, I should of mention what I meant, it's a term coined by a youtuber bassist who was talking about choosing basses. Basically it more means a swiss army knife of basses, Now I know it's almost impossible to find a 1 size fits all in the bass world, but some basses like a P-bass, G&L L2000, many modern ones with tone shaping can fit in many genres or places to me at least.

red_rhino and JRA like this.
  20. Carrots for me: cannot get rid of ANYTHING bass related that still "invade" our house! Full of basses, effects, amps, boxes etc... hidden everywhere in our apartment! :)

Dust2Dust and LowActionHero like this.