Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

selling stuff to guitar center?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Apr 13, 2004.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    a few Questions

Do you have to be 18 to sell stuff to guitar center? (you do at my local pawn shop)

Does guitar center pay decently or total rip off? What percent of "blue book" value might i expect to get out of my bass or amp?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Hopefully you are going to sell GC experience. They need it.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    GC will give you half of what they would pay for the instrument new.

Example: $1000 retail bass, costs them $400 new. You get $200, if you are lucky. They re-sell it for $400.

And yes, you have to be 18.

4. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    What he said.

I just bought an Ovation Acoustic Electric guitar there this past weekend. I brought my old Alvarez Jumbo in to see what they'd give me. Straight from the manager's mouth "50% of what we'll put it out on the floor for." I decided to go the Ebay route.

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    You're much better off trying to sell the gear privately than to guitar center, or trading it in at a shop. There are lots of high traffic web sites to sell bass gear, if you wanna go that route.

6. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Have you looked into Ebay. I've sold a lot of stuff on there and people are willing to pay ridiculously high prices for things.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Better yet, use the TB classifieds. ;)

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The GC in Boston, has trade in policy.
    They will give you only 25% of what items blue book value is.
    If you have vintage items, they will go as high as 50% of value.
    EX. fender p-bass worth $1000.00. $ 250.00 in trade in.

9. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I tried the classifieds here any didn't get any feedback. What are some other websites that have free bass classifieds, I'm not quite ready for the whole E-bay thing yet.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id try here first, then ebay.

11. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    At my local GC theres a *few* cool people. One of these told me that they cant really anything for used stuff, cuz people expect all thier stuff to be cheap(especially the used stuff) However they can give you alot better deals if you do a trade in.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't know GC's specific policy, but I would imagine you would have to be a legal adult to swap ownership of gear.
    The bluebook lists 4 prices for an instrument, new retail, used retail, mint wholesale, and average wholesale. Most dealers will give you average wholesale or a bit below. GC, like the rest, will give you 50 percent of what they intend to sell it for.
    You are much better off selling on ebay or classifieds, unless you are in a big hurry.

13. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Is this "Blue Book" available to the public or online anywhere?

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't think the bluebook is available online (without paying for it that is). If you want to email me details(delturco@earthlink.net), I will look up the blue book numbers and email you back on Monday (I work at a music store on Mondays and Tuesdays to supplement my crappy City Job income)

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I used to work at one not too long ago:

You have to be 18 or whatever the legal age is in the area. Basically, if pawn shops say 18, then its gotta be for a good reason (the law). GC isnt gonna break that for you.

How much will you get?

Well my store used this technique. Im pretty sure it was a nationwide technique but Im not 100% sure.

We would go by the value we estimated the used piece to be worth and chopped that in half. If we could sell it for $200, we would give you $100. If we could sell it for $1000, we would give you $500.

There were some exceptions (high end guitars or vintage instruments), but that was the general technique used.

One more thing, if you dont know that your guitar is worth $2000 and walk out the door with $200, it wouldnt be a suprise.

Peace
    Nick

17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I once sold GC a bass for $350 that I paid $100 for. They in turn are selling it for $549.