1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Selling the back-breaker, what to replace it with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoelFT, Jul 7, 2012.

1. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    I have been scouring the forums trying to get as much info as I could before asking the question but, there is no single source for what I need to know. The long and the short of it is that I am selling my Ampeg SVT-4pro and 610 rig and want to get something that can compete with it for volume and low end and not break my back. Also, $2k is about my limit.

So, what micros out there would fit the bill? I have been researching the Genz stuff and really like it but, would a 9.2 and two 210's get me close? Is the Carvin stuff too good to be true?

Also, there is the tone issue. Do the class D amps have an overall different sound to them as the lead sleds?

I would to A-B my amp and these others but, I don't know if it is possible. So, many questions.

Oh, and I will primarily be playing open-air venues such as festivals and fairs. There may or may not be FOH support.

2. A GB Shuttle 9.2 or GK MB800 with a fEarful Dually or Barefaced Super Fifteen should compete in volume and low end and be smaller and weigh half as much too.

3. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I love the Ampeg 6x10...Maybe you just need a smaller amp, that 4-pro is a beast. Try a Genz Benz on top, Shuttle, Streamliner 900.

4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I switched to a Genz Benz 6.012T with a 2nd 12T and love it, my 5 string G&Ls (fretted and frettless) never sounded so good!
    I for one am so done with with 2 ton amps!
    IMHO:cool:
    Love & Peace

5. nevp

nevp

Jun 30, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    +1

I run a Shuttlemax 9.2 and a Barefaced S15 as my gigging rig.

Great sound and will run louder than i have ever needed.

I switched from a 3pro and a 410HLF and my back has certainly thanked me for it.:)

6. Svt 7 pro or streamliner 9 with a 15/6 or a 12/6 and 12sub.

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Ampeg 7 Pro and a Fender Bassman Pro neo 610

8. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    Replace your backbreaker with a gut-puncher. :D

That'd certainly do the job. Or 1212/6 if you dig the tilt-roll thing. It's a mini-fridge. Or the aforementioned Dually, depending on taste. Maybe even a Fearless 215... might be hitting your budget limit, though. (Not sure.)

9. +1 to all those recommending going to a custom cab (BFM, Barefaced, fEarful, etc.).

Playing outdoors (especially without PA support) requires lots of speaker area, and the proper power to push it.

The only way to replace a 6X10 with something smaller is by going the custom cab route.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, if you want something smaller and just as loud and big sounding, custom route is your only hope. But it's still going to be a pretty big smaller cab. You're not going to get it out of one of those commercial 25 lb neo 112's or anything ;)

And I am a fan of micros and love the SVT 7 Pro, and it's possible you might like it even better than the 4 Pro, but as of yet, I've yet to play a micro that will give you that really hard attack of a solid state or hybrid amp amp with an iron power transformer. I've played the 4 and 7 Pro side by side in the same cab, and while they sound similar to a degree, neither does what the other one does. So bear that in mind before you make a wholesale change, because if that's what you're looking for in a micro rig, you might end up disappointed.

Again, not against micros at all...just something to think about before you go selling off everything.

11. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    Thanks Jimmy, that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. I have played many micros (mostly in stores and at a friends house) and, while they sound fine to me I was far removed from my trusty -4pro. So, comparing and contrasting has always been an issue. I've just always been wary of an amp without a transformer the size of a Volkswagen.

I love the sound and definition that my 610 brings even outdoors and do not want to loose that. It's kinda like I love everything about my rig except the weight (and the Suck Switch, took me awhile to figure that one out). Maybe I should just bolt some wimp wheels to the head.

All of these micros out there sure are seductive with their high wattages and light weights. But, do you somehow loose the "soul" of the amp. Is it like quartz vs. mechanical, carburetor vs. injection, vinyl vs. cd, Pratt and Whitney JT8D vs. Rolls Royce BR715?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well soul comes from you, not the gear ;) And there's never a wrong or right answer when it comes to gear. But yes, light gear is very seductive, and there are times I absolutely have to have something small, and I'm glad at least that you can get light weight and a decent amount of power now. But I have zero plans to ever get rid of my tube amps. Considered it once or twice, then plugged back into my tube amps and quickly forgot about it.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Sounds like you need one of these and pocket the extra $1900 +

I use one to drag my tube heads and cabs. I'm 56

[​IMG]

14. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I played a festival recently with my Little Mark III and dual 151P cabs, and sounded fine. I was also in the PA (not monitors, though, but I could hear myself fine). However, I can imagine something like a Markbass SD1200 or 7Pro with two Barefaced Compacts would cover your gigs. It may be my next rig, myownself.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Amps are one thing, but the loud you get with a 610 can't be replicated with anything much smaller, unless you go the fEARful route. +1 to buying a good cart.

16. I am always quite pleased with the G-K Fusion 550 (28 lbs) and G-K NEO412, outside without PA support. The cab choices in the custom builds may be more in line, but the NEO412 does weigh in at under 100 lbs.

17. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    Definately not two 10's. Not even close. Your using 601's now for a reason. The newer custom builds are great cabs that can play at some pretty loud volumes, are very small and light. Now here is the but. They are very articulate and uncolored cabs. That means they are going to sound a lot like your bass and probably not a lot like your Ampeg rig which you really like. As we all know Ampegs have there own sound which is you either like (which you do) or not. Typically a colored or well Ampeg sound. Most of the Brand name micro heads, Genz, Markbass and insert your brand here, do a very credible job. I currently use a Genz Shuttle 9.0 which replaced my SVT4PRO. Do they sound the same, no, is one better than the other, no. Personally I like the way my 9.0 sounds better than the 4PRo, and I think it's louder as well. Since you like the Ampeg sound, the SVT7PRO is said to sound like most other Ampegs, you might want to have a look and listen. I would buy one of the more powerful micro heads as well. Cabs are a crap shoot. If you think 15's would work the Markbass Randy Jackson cabs are said to be quite good. Avatar B410 cabs have some of the colored low bass, and a lot of it that your Ampeg 610 has. One may be enough, try one first and if you like the sound use 1 or buy a second one.

18. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    That setup or the 9.2 with something like John_K's 2x15 w/Faitals could be an option. It comes in under 50 lb. A Dually is around 70lb isn't it?

19. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    So, I've been reading all about the fEARfuls for a few weeks now. I love to build anything so, not a problem there. But, when reading the FAQ it says that the 15/6 will get as loud as a 610. And, it says that one 12/6 will get almost as loud as a 410. So, will a 1212/6 be louder than my 610 (and smaller/lighter to boot)? Downsides at all?

20. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    You like your Ampeg sound. It probably won't sound at all like your Ampeg.