1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Selling tickets to a show

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fli, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Fli

Fli

Apr 30, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    My band is performing in a Battle of the Bands soon and we have to sell tickets.

Anyone know how to sell tickets on a myspace page? I've looked everywhere and cannot find out how or if it's possible... I'm sure it's simple and I'm just overlooking it.

Thanks

2. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    Sign up for a paypal account and go to the paypal website section on "Website Payments Standard".

It will give you instructions on how to set up html code, which can be used on myspace, to sell your tickets.

3. tmart937

tmart937

Jan 20, 2006
    Oh yeah and if it's a gorilla productions battle. He who sells most...wins!

4. Fli

Fli

Apr 30, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks a lot!

5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I like the part where they say there is no entry fee. You just have to sell tickets. Bring your anal lube.

6. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    LOL! +1

7. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Another big +1!

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Good luck with that! Not to discourage you, but +1 on bringing the anal lube! Our band played one of those once - we lost to a high school band that basically brought their whole high school.

9. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    For future reference anytime anyone tells you to sell tickets, it's a pay to play scam. The only one who makes money is the promoter. They basically get 4-20 young bands and con them into selling tickets because they are so desperate to play at the venue because it has a big stage and or rep or some added incentive like you get a video.

The promotor makes ticket purchase x 4-20 bands and makes out like a bandit. The bands get squat and probably loose money on gas. All for the privalidge of playing in front of 20 or so friends.

Whenever someone starts talking about selling tickets I tell them to F off because that is what the front door or ticketmaster is for.

Bands need to band together and not allow, "pay to play, sell your own ticket scams," to happen anymore.

P.S. Since this is a battle of the bands I'm 98% sure it is pay to play scam. That's one of the BS headings they use to lure bands in. Whats the prize?

10. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    Paypal link through myspace. with the paypal fees you'd loose a little on the tickets, you could also just post a contact number and have them call and mail them out.

when it comes down to battle of the bands, its never about the music its how many people you can get to come to the show. I personally wouldn't waste my time with them but good luck to you with it.

11. My band played one of these battles thrown by these tools. It was at some place in some town I'd never heard of. Cool venue and all, but some of the bands including us where from out of town. My band never expects money, and we all play because we enjoy playing so we're almost always down for any show, anywhere.

The order of the bands wasn't decided until we got there and gave this douche bag the money for our tickets. Then he decided based on ticket sales who played when. We ended up playing first. Big stage, stupid lighting and fog machines and like 40-50 people. We played our asses off like we always do and got a good response from the people there. Of course WAY more people show up as the second band is setting up, completely screwing us out of any chance of winning this crapfest. We didn't even get gas money. We left as the third band was starting.

Aside from the fact that I think battle of the bands are jokes anyways, Gorilla Productions is an even bigger joke and so is all this pay to play garbage. If you haven't signed any paperwork or any crap like that, just get off this thing and don't even play it.

12. Fli

Fli

Apr 30, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks for all the concerns with the BotB (guess they got us :))
    I know it sucks we have to sell tickets but we're fairly new and just trying to get our name out. plus like mentioned above this place is REALLY nice and has a baddass PA.
    winner gets like $500 and 20 hrs recording time... 9 bands playing in one night though lol.
    I'll be sure to dig this thread up when it's over and post the results.

13. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.

More often than not the band that wins the prize is a friend with the promoter. I've seen it happen several times.

14. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah, we have had gig where we hand out tickets and it gets them a discount at the door but I would never accept a gig where:

a) we have to pay any money for the tickets up front
    b) have to sell a minimum to "break even"
    c) or even sell any. I don't mind having my friends pay at the door; however, I am not going to collect money from my friends for a show - for a CD of our music, I have no prob collecting a bit of money :).

Later
    Rob

15. Hphazard

Hphazard

Jan 10, 2008
    Cali
    When we were coming up in the ranks in the LA area, we had to make an impact.

This was the best way that we found to do it especially when we all lived about an hour out of Hollywood in the Inland Empire.

Call your local bus rental place and find out how much it will cost to rent one. Also, make sure they they allow alcohol on the bus, and how much time you need to book it in advance.

Start with one bus, and factor in how much to charge each person. Take these things into concideration: How much the tickets cost, how much the bus is to rent, and a couple extra bucks to load up that sucker with beer. Sometimes you have to pay a little extra, but it beats paying for your tickets.

Party bus is the way to go, especially if you offer your fans a ride to and from the venue, beer to drink on the way out, and a great show.

Now for battle of the bands, you have your fans at the show, boozed up, and ready to scream their lungs out for you.

For one showcase we did at the Troubador in 2002, we had a full house on a Monday night. The funny part was, the house was about 15% full for the opening bands, we packed it, played our show, then everyone left again, it was hilarious.

Other than that, paypal would be the best way to sell them, but honestly, a lot of people don't really want to buy tickets to a battle of the bands contest online. Get out and hit the bricks and burn up the cell phone minutes, call everyone you know and get them there anyway you can. Go to local shows of similar bands and pimp yourselves out.

Have fun kids... And good luck.

-Haz

16. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Go back and read it again. The winner of the night advances to the finals where if they win they get the prize. It is not even a 1 in 9 chance. If they can find enough bands dumb enough to sign up for this they could possible have 10 preliminary rounds. You had better bring a 5 gallon bucket of anal lube your going to need it.

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Incredible.

18. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    we had to do this for a battle for bamboozle. we ended up selling all our tickets and making money for the last round....but no one that bought tickets showed up so our crowd was so dead( we were also on like second in a all day show)

needless to say we didnt win but it was awesome fun, it was at the stone pony.

19. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    I would run away. Are you a bassist or a ticket vender? You deserve cash for your time and money. What about the money you have invested? You also deserve a return on that. If no one played these scams then they would stop and everyone would make money for their craft and you could afford the studio time yourself. If people continue to participate in this insanity, everyone will have to pay large sums of money to play. They should be paying us large sums of money to play! Show yourselves, your craft, and your fellow artists some respect and don’t do this.

20. Fli

Fli

Apr 30, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I've read the rules. I NEVER stated we had a 1 in 9 chance to win. I only stated how many bands were playing THAT NIGHT. I know exactly how the thing works. We've not signed up for anything OR given anyone any money!

Why is everyone acting like we're getting ****ED when all we're doing is collecting money just like people would do at the door?
    The way I see it, if someone BUYS a ticket from me I KNOW they're going to be there vs. someone just telling me "yeah man I be there"... How can it really be THAT bad when all we're doing is playing a damn show? Worst case scenario: WE DON"T WIN :bawl:

I said I appreciate the concern and people's opinions, but calling bands dumb for playing a show and trying to get some exposure is just that (dumb).