selling to buy a sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thumb, Jan 17, 2006.

1. thumb

Nov 16, 2004
    Hi everyone, you see i have a nice SR5 that sound real good whith new strings but dont always fit right in the mix.
    I also have a nice Status eclipse 4string that realy does the job but im wondering if it would be a good ideal to sell those to for a Sadowsky/Metro.
    I've never tried a Sad and of course i will before i make a move but do you think it's worth the investigation. The Status is rare and you might not know about it, but somewone with a Sadowsky must knows about the SR5.:meh:
  2. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Ah ... I sold a '68 Jazz Bass to afford my Sadowsky (NYC)!
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You'll have to make that determination after you've tried one.. As with any bass, they're not for everyone..
  4. Now that's insanity. I have no doubts the Sadow is amazing but a 68... I mean that thing will be worth twice the sadow in 10 years, and then twice that again ten years later...
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  6. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Lot of reasons for that choice.
    1. I live in Italy and I sold it well (you won't believe how much even MIM Jazz costs here).
    2. Not many people in Italy REALLY ready with cash in their hands for these kind of things.
    3. It was the only way I can afford the Sad at that time.
    4. I'm a player, not a collector. I need a great sounding and reliable bass not a medium-low quality instrument with the only value of getting old.
  7. You're welcome to try my Sadowsky. I'm downtown Montreal.
  8. thumb

Nov 16, 2004
    Thanks Bass boy, i'm sending you a private message.
  9. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    I'm with the other guys. I own 3 Sadowskys, and love them all, but I really think you need to try one first. Thing is, you've got two really good basses already, maybe you'll find that moving over to the single Sadowsky isn't such a good idea.
  10. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I wouldn't do it as the SR and the Status are already awesome basses and I don't think the Sadowsky could probably be THAT much better. But then again, if you're looking for a Jazz-style instrument, the SR and the Status might not really fit the bill.
  11. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    What does a NYC Sadowsky Vintage 5-string cost?
    $$$$ ?
  12. Hey, I'm from switzerland originally, I get your point... And I'm a player too, and would play a Sadowsky anyday instead of a vintage fender :)

But I'd have found another was to pay for it, because I just dream of a beautiful old fender...
  13. ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    I don't know about selling a '68 Anything!!! but I just bought a 5 string Metro with a tobacco sunburst and maple neck. Great sound, great spacing and playablility. I own many basses and play about 85 shows a year (part time heh) but I will be playing this bass exclusively for some time to be sure.
  14. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The January 2005 price list put them at $3,525. Not sure if Roger has changed prices for 2006. Add $200 for a fancy maple top. Used, you can generally figure 25-30% less than list.
  15. I may have found a slight flaw in your plan. ;)
  16. I TOO, am selling to buy a Sadowsky...

anyone need a kidney? :)
  17. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    I would not have sold a 68 for a Sadowsky. Not putting them down because i own one. NYC made in 1999. Love the Bass but I would have saved up for it rather than selling a 68 fender. A sadowsky today is different than the past one's. After trying a few i get the felling they are being more mass produced than before. Im not crazy about the graphite rodes in the neck. Many say its to elliminate dead spots. But the feel is different. And Im not sure it eliminates dead spots or change the tone ot used for added stability. Reasons can be all three. But lately there have been alot of fender type copies. Some are excellent. I would try alot of newer basses with that fender vibe to it. Lately many are starting to make these types of basses. Previously Sadowsky was the one to go to for a fender type instrument. Now there are a few more who have excellent basses and I tried one recently and it sounded better than my Sadowsky. No Im not selling it to get it but im saving instead.
  18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Don't get rid of the Status!! You'll regret it. It's a helluva bass.

19. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  20. RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX

Everyone has to play what they enjoy. I have a '73 jazz that I am likely selling to buy another Sadowsky. I'm not a collector either and have played Fenders for years and am in the mood for a change...